Need some Voyager help

I recently purchased a Voyager XL clip point, and I just plain love this thing. I adjusted the pocket clip, removed the thumb stud to do the ziptie wave mod, and I've been trying to figure out how to get it to flick open when drawn from the pocket. But it takes a lot more force on the pull because it's a lock back rather than a liner lock. Or at least that's my theory on it.

The problem I'm having is that since I got the Voyager, I've apparently cut my pant leg three times in two days, all within close proximity to where the blade would be when drawing it.

Can any XL owners offer advice on just what I'm doing wrong and how to avoid future clothing damage, or if such is simply a hazard with such a large blade?

Man, springs are strong on Triad Locks. It is a lot to ask a zip tie to wave that big honking blade open.

I use a device called the “Snaggletooth MF” to wave my large voyager and recon 1’s. They are very effective.

I have not yet used one on the voyager xl, mostly because the blade is so heavy that it can be inertially opened quickly.

I use a device called the “Snaggletooth MF” to wave my large voyager and recon 1’s. They are very effective.

I have not yet used one on the voyager xl, mostly because the blade is so heavy that it can be inertially opened quickly.

Totally agree. I've always used inertia openings to deploy an XL Voyager blade, either from one of my sheaths or loose in the pocket of a winter jacket.

recently purchased

Give it some time to break in through use. Opening and closing it repeatedly will smooth out the action.

If this is a dedicated self-defense knife that you don't want to use for anything else, just cycle the action while watching TV. My Tri-Ad knives break in nicely after a couple weeks of carry.

Man, springs are strong on Triad Locks. It is a lot to ask a zip tie to wave that big honking blade open.

Totally agree. I've always used inertia openings to deploy an XL Voyager blade, either from one of my sheaths or loose in the pocket of a winter jacket.

Give it some time to break in through use. Opening and closing it repeatedly will smooth out the action.

If this is a dedicated self-defense knife that you don't want to use for anything else, just cycle the action while watching TV. My Tri-Ad knives break in nicely after a couple weeks of carry.

All good and all, but my main concern is the fact I managed to cut my pant leg several times without realizing it while working to get used to the Voyager. If this is something common with larger folders then I'd like to know what to do about it to avoid future clothing damage.

Maybe the zip ties are catching the inside of your pocket before catching the edge? If that happened fairly deep in your pocket, I can see how it could cause the tip to pop out slightly before clearing the edge of the pocket.

All good and all, but my main concern is the fact I managed to cut my pant leg several times without realizing it while working to get used to the Voyager. If this is something common with larger folders then I'd like to know what to do about it to avoid future clothing damage.
Stop trying to waive a big ass honking folder with a zip tie??

Even a model with a proper wave feature (thumb stud plate likening someone their models) that large of a blade, with a strong spring might get your pants, or fingers...or nuts.

I recently purchased a Voyager XL clip point, and I just plain love this thing. I adjusted the pocket clip, removed the thumb stud to do the ziptie wave mod, and I've been trying to figure out how to get it to flick open when drawn from the pocket. But it takes a lot more force on the pull because it's a lock back rather than a liner lock. Or at least that's my theory on it.

The problem I'm having is that since I got the Voyager, I've apparently cut my pant leg three times in two days, all within close proximity to where the blade would be when drawing it.

Can any XL owners offer advice on just what I'm doing wrong and how to avoid future clothing damage, or if such is simply a hazard with such a large blade?
:eek: Your pants are being cut OUTSIDE of your pocket or inside ?

I've been waving out XL Voyagers for many years with no problems . I'm trying to understand how this could happen . :confused:

The opening should become easier as the knife gets broken in and with practice , hopefully , the problem will resolve . :)

:eek: Your pants are being cut OUTSIDE of your pocket or inside ?

I've been waving out XL Voyagers for many years with no problems . I'm trying to understand how this could happen . :confused:

The opening should become easier as the knife gets broken in and with practice , hopefully , the problem will resolve . :)

On the outside, below the pocket and towards the back.

Sounds like the issue is with something in your mechanics of drawing the knife after it has already opened and cleared your pocket .

I'd try to practice in front of a mirror or get someone to video , to try to see if you are making some unconscious movement that brings the blade too close .

I put a nice fat fob on most of my waved knives to help with drawing .

Wear cheap but very sturdy pants ! ;)
On the outside, below the pocket and towards the back.

Yeah, problem sounds like your drawstroke. Make sure your hand and knife get well clear of your body. Exaggerate the length of travel.

Back