Need to identify year and model details of older Magnum Tanto

Still trying to identify knives from my father-in-law's estate. I know these were all probably from the late 80s or early 90s. This is one of the last ones I can't seem to find on the internet. Can anyone help me identify a more specific model or year manufactured detail on this particular knife? The Google file is attached with 12 photos.

Still trying to identify knives from my father-in-law's estate. I know these were all probably from the late 80s or early 90s. This is one of the last ones I can't seem to find on the internet. Can anyone help me identify a more specific model or year manufactured detail on this particular knife? The Google file is attached with 12 photos.
Very interesting! It's marked Magnum Tanto, but it has a 7 1/2" blade, which would make it a Magnum Tanto II, which replaced the original MT in 1990 (refer to post #5 in the Tanto History thread). I'm guessing it was a very early example, during the transition, and was mis-marked as an MT.

Interesting photos. While I had that type nylon/cordura sheath for my carbon V SRK, Master Hunter and SMIII Recon Scout and SMIII TM. I always thought the CS Tantos only came with the black leather sheaths. First time I'm seeing this.

Interesting photos. While I had that type nylon/cordura sheath for my carbon V SRK, Master Hunter and SMIII Recon Scout and SMIII TM. I always thought the CS Tantos only came with the black leather sheaths. First time I'm seeing this.
I was too busy looking at the knife to notice the sheath. I know Cutlery Shoppe had some back in the day but they were cut to the tanto shape of the blade. Never seen a sheath like that for a tanto style knife. Not an expert by any means though.

I was too busy looking at the knife to notice the sheath. I know Cutlery Shoppe had some back in the day but they were cut to the tanto shape of the blade. Never seen a sheath like that for a tanto style knife. Not an expert by any means though.
I have one, and have seen a few others. Definitely not common though.

Last edited:
Back