Neil Blackwood?

I just heard about the new collaboration with Neil Blackwood and was hoping to see and hear a little more about this new knife. Anyone have any info?

Now that would be something. C'mon, lets have some info....release date, style of knife and so on. I sure hope its more than a rumor!

Here is a pic of Neil's small hybrid. It rocks.

dbhybrid.jpg

handle materials? blade steel? price? availability?
how about the hermans?
thx,
m.

Dennis, would you please cut it out! How many times do you have to put that thing in my heart? ;)

Boy there’s no hiding anything from you guys.

Yes, I confirm we will be producing a factory version of Neil’s Small Hunter Hybrid. We just announced this collaboration last week at the Blade Show where it received an excellent response.

Since this project is in its infancy there is not a lot to discuss. Our plan is to introduce a basic model with full-visible tang, red spacer, Kraton scales, AUS-8A blade steel and leather sheath. We are also considering an upscale version with wood or micarta handles and premium blade steel like ATS-34, D2, VG-10 or Tallonite. Your comments on the upscale model and steel preference are welcome. Production knives take a minimum of 8-10 months to go from drawing board to first production run. Since this project was just born last week the knife should release in Spring-Summer of 2003.

I would like to offer my thanks and sincere appreciation to Dennis Bible for first bringing Neil’s knives to my attention and posting about them on this forum. Without Dennis’s post, this forum and the internet, an Outdoor Edge/Blackwood collaboration may never have happened.

I would also like to offer my thanks to Mr. Blackwood himself for creating an exceptional fixed blade design and offering Outdoor Edge the opportunity to produce a factory version.

My comment on the upscale model. Keep the skeletonized(is that a word?) handle. Keep the red spacer. Make it with polished black Micarta or G-10. Please. I'll buy one for myself, one for my dad, one for my brother.... at least three or four.:D I think this thing would sell A LOT!

Oh yeah! Keep the red spacer, black micarta and make it in D-2. This could be just about the hottest small factory fixed blade collaboration going. Just the thing to really put Outdoor Edge on the map. All you have to do is figure out a nice ambi Kydex sheath and keep the price around $100 :rolleyes: Then just ramp up production and watch the things sell themselves :D

Oh yeah, put me down for at least one :cool:

D2 would be great. I could deal with 154CM, ATS-34, or VG-10. Any of the steels mentioned would work. How about S30V?:D

I had to edit because I went back and read the thread and my response didn't make any sense.

David,

As an owner of a Blackwood Small Hybrid I think that on your upscale model it would be nice to go with D2 or Talonite. Both being steels that Neil uses himself with some regularity. The only problem is that Talonite is expensive and unless you can make them in such a volume as to keep the price down I think that the D2 would be better in a performance/dollar value. Congratulations on your arrangement with Neil, he designs are perfect as his blades not only have great utility but look absolutely beautiful.

-Jeff

P.S. The only up side to Talonite is that Neil himself seems to have a long wait for it so you might be able to get those blades out to the masses :)

this is great news and i am glad to hear it is oofficial.. congrats Neil. Outdoor Edge got a gem collaboration here from a talented maker and certified nice guy :)

I cast my vote for an upscale version too! I agree with Jyen oabout the talonite issue..

YEAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Good decision - this is going to be a hit!!

I will get one, or two or a dozen...

You guys should have the list of Neil's waiting buyers - so you can ease their wait with this beauty...

Congratulations Neil!

I would love D2 - 154CM would also be ok.... and I think these are reasonable options taking into account price and cost of production...

Originally posted by poboy
My comment on the upscale model. Keep the skeletonized(is that a word?) handle. Keep the red spacer. Make it with polished black Micarta or G-10. Please.

I agree!

Originally posted by blademan 13
Oh yeah! Keep the red spacer, black micarta and make it in D-2... and keep the price around $100 :rolleyes: Then just ramp up production and watch the things sell themselves :D

Oh yeah, put me down for at least one :cool:

I'll take a few as well!

Please. . .please. . .please. . .

Anything but kraton scales !

Kraton = :barf:

I would encourage you to consider S30 since Neil is starting to do more work with that steel.

Congratulations on the fine judement to do a collaboration with Neil. He is one of the most under-recognized makers out there today. The small hunter is my fixed EDC, and it is an incredible knife.

I would suggest doing the deluxe limited edition in D-2, since it is a steel that Neil has used extensively, and produced excellent performance from.

Back