• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
nes1.jpg

nes2.jpg

Here are 6 sketches that I did for you to check out.
All knives are 9" OAL with a 4.5" blade.
There are minor differences between each in both handle and blade shape.
If you vote multiple times I would prefer you not vote for the same one.
If you would like to see some alterations or features combined please let me know.

Here is the "Fusion" sketch of #5 and #6.

nes3.jpg

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one as well.

Last edited:
I'd like to see #3, with the famous Big Chris grind, high and flat. I think it would make a great EDC.

Personally #4 is my choice, although I also like aspects of #6.

What do you all think?

I'd like to see #3, with the famous Big Chris grind, high and flat. I think it would make a great EDC.

#3 is attractive as well.
The transition in the belly looks a little abrupt to me so I would likely smooth that out a little in steel.

....#5....more of a traditional Nessmuck blade profile.

I love the fine detail, a bit of nuance rather than radical differentiations.

Either 2, 3, or 6. Decisions, decisions... Thanks for doing this!

I voted for #1, love the belly.
Even though I've never had a traditional nessmuck, the widows peak makes it a Big Chris knife and the belly will be a great skinner as well as a balanced utility blade.

Chis, I think I see the subtleties between 3 and 6. But, I'm not 100% sure, would you mind pointing them out?

I voted for #1, love the belly.
Even though I've never had a traditional nessmuck, the widows peak makes it a Big Chris knife and the belly will be a great skinner as well as a balanced utility blade.

It was a hard decision for me between 1 and 4. I also really like the peak. I think that gives it a bit more modern look and not like all the other Nessmuk.

Chis, I think I see the subtleties between 3 and 6. But, I'm not 100% sure, would you mind pointing them out?

#3 has a higher point, longer and flatter hump on the back of the blade, and a larger hump on the back of the handle.
The bottom of the handle on #6 combined with the back of #3 would make a very comfortable handle.

I voted 4, but I think that just breaking the peak on the spine is important to make sure there is not a sharp edge back there when used for skinning. That's why the rounded back is more traditional (like 6 say). Its helps control cutting angle and risk of puncturing what you don't want when skinning

The angle/belly on 1 and 2 might be more useful if any are intending on cutting on a board (like kitchen slicing prep work) to give some good edge contact while still clearing fingers while not having a deep blade and heel like a traditional chef knife.

Oh and I also like the more pronounced bird head on the end of the handle in a couple of them (4,5,6)
Soooo blend 'em all together, and..... lol :)

While I like them all..... :):):),
I voted for number 5, because it looks the most like what I picture a Nessie to look like. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Number 2 looks more like a Semi-skinner.
Number 3 and 6 look more like drop points.
did I mention I like them all.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I don't own any traditional mucks either so my vote is for #5 love to have a traditional look with a thin "super" steel

I really like #5, it's the closest to a traditional Nessmuk. I also like # 6 as it's pretty close to my other 2 Big Chris Nessmuk's. Numbers 1, 2, and 4 while they are good looking knives none of them really speak Nessmuk to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back