Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sketch #5

• sketch #6

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like #5, it's the closest to a traditional Nessmuk.
^ this.

Actually I have voted for #5 rather than #6 because #6 (correct me if I am wrong) looks like something in between a Nessmuk and a Kephart. And since Crhis has already announced that a Kephart would be his next batch, I'd rather get a real Nessmuk here and a real Kephart later when they are available.

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised that #5 and #6 are neck and neck this morning.
I personally like the higher point and more constant curing edge of #6 better.
When I get a few minutes I am going to cut out both patterns and trace them on top of one another to try and highlight the differences.
I like where this is going.

#3 is kind of nice for that reason, it's like a drop point with the benefit of having the Nessmuk hump towards the tip.

When I look at #6 I'm seeing a continuous arc from the plunge to the tip. Is that really the case? Whereas the first 1/2 of the blade on #5 (as it moves past the plunge towards the tip) is parallel to the guideline in the sketch before it arcs. Is that really the case?

Very interested in this project. Nothing like a new Big Chris design to get me back on the forums! I like elements from both 5 and 6. For me a fusion of the two would be awesome! I'm thinking a rounded curvy back like 5 but slightly more subdued and transitioning into a less obtuse point (a little stabbier) Like the tip location to be pretty centered though because I like the spear point on nessies. One element of the 6 that I like is the longer belly. Would like edge on knife to have nice long belly maybe something in between 5&6. Whewww! What do you guys think? I know whatever Chris comes up with will be awesome and I will definitely be in for one. Thanks for doing this Chris!

Since a lot of you seemed divided between #5 and #6 I did the overlay and fusion of the 2 patterns.

nes3.jpg

The handle differences were very slight.
On the blade I split the differences right down the middle the best I could.
I like the outcome very much. Enough straight for cutting board work, belly for skinning or scraping, I think the hump definitely has the Nessmuk appearance.
Let me know what you think.
I will add this sketch to the original post as well.

I like it a lot. Only thing I might suggest is to gradually straighten the spine very slightly toward the tip to "pointy" the tip a bit. Just my thoughts, don't know if it will be a practical improvement or not. Really excited to see this thing come to life whatever final shape it takes!

When I see the two side by side I like #5 even more. Just wondering if it makes sense to make the handle slimmer with deeper recess for the index finger?

I do a lot of butchering and would like a deeper finger guard or anything to keep my fingers from slipping in fluids. Just a thought.

I really like this combined look of 5 and 6. You a very sexy mix of the classic design with a modern twist. Awesome job Chris.

The fusion is nice. I'm pro slice, I'm sure that belly will work as well in the kitchen as it will on a fresh you know what. Outdoors plus indoors for the win. This project gets more interesting by the day.

Just realized that the bottom one is a fusion, what a retarded me! Yes, this looks really really nice, and I think that the blade shape is now as good as it gets. What is the width of the blank?

Regarding the handle: +2 on deeper guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back