Nessmuk Trios - Lets see yours

I started carrying a Nessmuk trio a couple of years ago. Seems to be the perfect setup for whatever you'll encounter in a woodland area.

Here's my setup, not exactly traditional. Lets see yours.

p8100175.jpg

I dont actually have a trio

I have a duo

mysetup.jpg

I found that for me , it just works better . Easier to carry , I prefer to use the big blade rather than a hatchet . My folder is adequate to deal with the majority of small knife tasks . At least , I have yet to be suffering a lack of blade so far . Got to update the pic tho , I been carrying my opinel more lately . same size folder tho .

Machine26.... the first North Carolina Tactical 3 gun match I shot in 97 was just outside Fayetteville, and a Randall #18 was on the prize table.. a lot of the young SF troops did not know what it was worth...

Machine26.... the first North Carolina Tactical 3 gun match I shot in 97 was just outside Fayetteville, and a Randall #18 was on the prize table.. a lot of the young SF troops did not know what it was worth...

Whoever won it and put it to use found out what it was worth. :D

You should post a pic of your 3 gun setup in practical/tactical forum. I love shooting sports, shot trap in high school.

Myal>Cool setup. In all honesty I could get away without the Randall. I use my axe for most chores anyway.

BTW: I use the axe for wood prep obviously, Randall for normal camp chores and skinning critters, and the Swisschamp for food prep/eating or specialized tasks that require one of the tools besides the blade.

Nothing personal but I did chuckle at seeing that Randall next to the the other two!

Great knife ... wish I had one!

Right now? ..... my favorite trio. Thinned and rehandled Norlund hatchet, +B Bushcrafter and a Skookum.

IMG_6997.jpg

Serious tools right here IMO. Vic Farmer, Eastwing and a BHK single bevel Bushcrafter.

IMG_6999.jpg

One of the best guys out there ... Matt = ML Knives, Walnut Keppie, green canvas friction folder and a GB hatchet.

IMG_6998.jpg

Gotta like this one. GB Hunter, +B Bushcrafter and a Laconico 4" bushie.

IMG_7000.jpg

I'm a definite gear junkie but like to get out there also.

Time to get out there and try a few of these newbies out.

Good looking blades Brian. Why did the Randall make ya chuckle?

Last edited:
My apologies. I should have explained myself.

My first impression was a $500+ knife with a $25 hatchet and a $30 or so utility folder.

It just proves that price isn't always the most important factor but the right skills and tools for the job.

I love that Randall ... it's beautiful!

Nice set-up!

Last edited:
My apologies. I should have explained myself.

My first impression was a $500+ knife with a $25 hatchet and a $30 or so utility folder.

I just proves that price isn't always the most important factor but the right skills and tools for the job.

I love that Randall ... it's beautiful!

Nice set-up!

TY, I agree the Randall looks great.

As for the hatchet and swisschamp. That is the best hatchet Ive ever used, I think it rocks. The swisschamp is pretty awesome too, its like a leatherman with more tools and a little less emphasis on the pliers. The SAK also came with a survival kit which is pretty spiffy.

I am sure I could put together a hundred 'Nessmuk Trios', but this is what I had with me yesterday . Wetterlings small hunter ax, custom fixed blade in S30V, and my trusty SAK Trekker.
Trio.jpg

Don't have a pic but they're all either on me or in my car as I'm going camping tonight. Maybe at break I'll snap a pic. My trio at the moment is a 50th anniversary soldier sak, Izula II, and CS trail hawk with the poll sawed off. Working good at the moment.

Who made that fixed blade? That's really aweet.

I designed the blade, and Tim Olt made it. Actually he made me two. Blade length on both is 6 inches. The handles are large and fat. The first was with green micarta scales, the steel was .28 thick A2. The second was thinner S30V, with Bocote wood. Both have proven to be superb bushcraft knives.
Last summer, I let our Joezilla play with the S30V blade, and he liked it.
Duo.jpg

Nothing personal but I did chuckle at seeing that Randall next to the the other two!

Great knife ... wish I had one!

Right now? ..... my favorite trio. Thinned and rehandled Norlund hatchet, +B Bushcrafter and a Skookum.

IMG_6997.jpg

Serious tools right here IMO. Vic Farmer, Eastwing and a BHK single bevel Bushcrafter.

IMG_6999.jpg

One of the best guys out there ... Matt = ML Knives, Walnut Keppie, green canvas friction folder and a GB hatchet.

IMG_6998.jpg

Gotta like this one. GB Hunter, +B Bushcrafter and a Laconico 4" bushie.

IMG_7000.jpg

I'm a definite gear junkie but like to get out there also.

Time to get out there and try a few of these newbies out.

Who Made the Friction Folder? ML?

Who Made the Friction Folder? ML?

Yeah, it's an ML.

I got it second hand. Really like it.

Matt did a great job on it, it's super light weight and cuts really well also.

These are Matts' pictures. I always admired the knife so when it came up for sale I jumped on it.

1255629805-JosephMorrisonKephartfrictionfoldercompleted.jpg

1255619150-JosephMorrisonKephartfrictionfolder.jpg

Back