NEVER cut yourself???? (Warning - a few graphic pics)

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
I just realized I made an assumption and wanted to fact-check it.

I assumed that within a fairly short time of beginning to be interested in and using knives, virtually ALL “knife people” would eventually cut themselves accidentally.

I’ve probably cut myself enough to bleed (never enough to need stitches - knock wood) a couple of dozen times, in about 38 years of using/playing with knives on a regular basis, and I figured that was probably pretty common.

So, am I right? Is this an inevitable part of the knife hobby or are there folks out there that have NEVER been cut...?

there is a guy out there that never cut himself.
we call him daywalker.

i've been into knives all my life,got my first SAK at age 6,like most people here do.
didn't take me long to close it on my fingers.
28 years later and i still cut myself occasionaly.

had a Douk Douk geant close on my fingers first day i got it..felt pretty stupid

Not in recent memory and hopefully not soon. It's really a matter of keeping your knife sharp, holding it firmly, and not placing your body parts or anyone else near your cutting strokes. If you're the tactical kind of knife guy, don't train with live blades, especially with Karambits. Invest in a good quality training knife.

I'm also not a fan of pull cutting (bringing the edge towards your thumb when peeling fruit for example).

True, the first couple of months, you might slip and hurt yourself with your EDC blade (hopefully nothing serious), but once you get the hang of it, accidents should rarely happen. Be confident and smart with your blades, gentlemen. The knife can smell hesitation.

there is a guy out there that never cut himself.
we call him daywalker.

i've been into knives all my life,got my first SAK at age 6,like most people here do.
didn't take me long to close it on my fingers.
28 years later and i still cut myself occasionaly.

had a Douk Douk geant close on my fingers first day i got it..felt pretty stupid

Ouch. If it was anything like my Douk it had a fairly strong snap.
Still have the results of my only traditional fold up (spey blade as a screwdriver) Eyewitness Stockman 35+ years ago.

At the Guild show in Louisville Kentucky in 2008 I picked up a knife off Ken Coats's table. A single blade slip joint with a wicked pull and half stops. In a second my finger was bleeding, the little bugger bit me.

Ken thought this was so funny......The next day I went back to his table to chat and his finger was wrapped in a Band Aid. The same knife bit him! My turn to laugh.:D

Being around knives and not getting cut is like falling in love and never getting your heart broken.:eek:

I carried a Buck 110 for 30 years I don’t remember ever cutting myself with it. I tried out a 110 with a drop point blade. I cut myself at least once a week for a couple of months, finally switched back to the clip point 110 no more cuts.

It defied logic. That knife was cursed somehow. I never figured it out. Other than that knife I haven’t cut myself with a knife (Knock on wood) since I was 10 years old.

I remembered long, long time ago getting cut with a slip joint when I was pretty young, and ever since then, I was super cautious with sharp objects and never did get cut again. Very small nicks when I was not careful, yes, but nothing worth mentioning.

I've been carrying a pocket knife for 35 years. I've cut myself a few times. When you consider how long I've carried a knife and how often I use it (or a multi-tool), I'm surprised I haven't cut myself more over the years. I'm quite careful in using and closing my knife. I have 3 knives that don't lock. 2 SAKs and a Maserin from CK. I prefer a locking knife.

I lost count a long time ago... only needed stitches once, though. I was whittling an endless chain from yellow cedar, let my Boker King Kutter get a bit dull and sliced a couple of fingers. The scars are a reminder...:(

I can count on my hands the times I've cut myself. it hasn't been that many. only once was it real bad and needed stitches. didn't get them just duct taped it closed. took days for it to stop bleeding, but it finally healed up. i was a kid school age. my thumb print didnt line up properly when it healed. that was a kitchen knife cutting up a watermelon.

its gonna happen if you are using them or even cleaning or refinishing or even playing with them. shouldn't happen a lot though. if it does ya have to learn to pay more attention and learn from mistakes.

Ouch. If it was anything like my Douk it had a fairly strong snap.
Still have the results of my only traditional fold up (spey blade as a screwdriver) Eyewitness Stockman 35+ years ago.

it has a really strong snap.got a cut on 3 fingers

its the giant version,not the regular. check it out,its an awesome knife

I've cut myself a lot over the years .:oops:

Luckily , never seriously . :)

Almost every accident involved a newly acquired folder , that I was either modding or trying to become familiar with during fast martial practice .

Hardly ever get cut with a fixed blade or a folder that I've well practiced .

Occasional nicks, most of which I try to hide quickly before anyone notices that I cut myself playing with knives ;). All of my major cuts that either required a trip for stitches or some serious mending together on my own were acquired with kitchen knives.

I cut the hell out of myself all the time. Now it usually has to do with needing to use the knife while working and not because I'm goofing around.

However, I severed a tendon in my little finger 20 years ago and it won't go straight. Fluke accident sheathing a Steel Desperado and it catching my finger just right while it was bent around the mouth of the knife. 1/4" cut and it got the little tendon that works the top half of the finger. Not all the of the most damaging cuts are gruesome.

I cut myself twice this week. Once hanging a security camera when my knuckle came in contact with my freshly sharpened ZT trying to pop a zip tie and the other time choking up on a ceramic pairing knife. The blade has a very sharp point at the bolster area. Just a bit of pressure and it will bite. Ceramic cuts BLEED:p

Nicked my dang thumb the other day. Sharpened my machete (yeah I know not a knife) and then got the bright idea it needs a new kydex sheath. Like an idiot I was making a sheath for it and it got me. Dang thing doesn't even have what I would consider a sharp edge as I only used a mill file.

I got my CK Viper swayback last Saturday and never had a wharncliffe blade before and I sliced my left index finger the first time I tried to close it

I've cut my numerous times, but I keep my knives very sharp and never feel them bite me, I just see blood start.running!!!!

Back