Never Fear, The Northwoods Zulu Spear is Here!

And that website makes it worse. It seems like 90% of the items listed are unavailable and at least on the mobile version the only way to find that out is to go through several clicks to find out the model is unavailable in every handle material.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

And that website makes it worse. It seems like 90% of the items listed are unavailable and at least on the mobile version the only way to find that out is to go through several clicks to find out the model is unavailable in every handle material.

I honestly think some collectors sit on the GEC blog hitting "refresh" every ten minutes with another tab up for KSF or CollectorKnives.

The worst part is that if any #14 Barlows remain that's exactly what I'm going to have to do to get one, once they actually hit production. There's a reasonable chance that the knife is already sold out before the first one is even assembled.

The best bet is to check the BF dealer list and read up on some of the dealers, then choose one or two and use their reservation options in advance of a new GEC run. The Esky is a KSF special order, so obviously it's going to be even more limited than the typical GEC production run.

Almost seems worth the hassle after seeing that giraffe bone, though. :eek:

KSF will put you on an email alert list if you ask them to. When they are about to post the knife, they email you and tell you. Very handy.

I didn't get it, but just checked out the picture.. wow!

NW-Black-Front-8567__14394.1463430739.1280.1280.jpg

NW-Black-Back-8622__67846.1463430739.1280.1280.jpg

I'm the lucky one...#7 on its way to Arizona

Just got my black micarta. I thought I wasn't going to be interested in these, but WOW!

KSF these are amazing!

Denim, I want my denim! haha!

They made 500 of them. That's all that GEC could or would make for them. I'm not sure it's a business model so much as just the way things work.

It is a classic business model for collectibles. There is no buyer option to wait for the "next production run" or wait until "prices drop a little"; you've got to buy now or lose out. Moves the inventory fast at the original price point. It also keeps the value high for the collector/re-seller...until they do another run in a few months, years or never :)

It is a classic business model for collectibles. There is no buyer option to wait for the "next production run" or wait until "prices drop a little"; you've got to buy now or lose out. Moves the inventory fast at the original price point. It also keeps the value high for the collector/re-seller...until they do another run in a few months, years or never :)

It might be a classic business model for collectibles, but I think that is misreading what GEC is about. It is a small company, first and foremost dedicated to good quality using knives. That is what Bill always dreamed of doing! If every knife he produced went into a pocket and was used, he would be the happier for it all!

Uhhh, No they don't.

Ditto. I like that there's a constant stream of new stuff coming out all of the time and it's not just a supply of the same 4 patterns in the same handle materials with the same blade profile.

Back to the knives, I got my Giraffe Bone in the mail yesterday, and so here are a couple of comparison shots with Tony's version.
Doing this pattern was a great idea - congrats to Derrick and Bill!
Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%201_zpsnbsyiwbs.jpg

Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%202_zpsjudhvphi.jpg

They are both wonderful knives!!
The custom is of course more finely detailed, and has a bushing in the pivot. It's as perfect as a handmade knife can be!
ATS-34, long pull, cut swedge, flush in all positions, and the pull is about a 7. All lines are crisp - to die for!!
The GEC holds its own - especially at about 1/15 the price!!
Slightly firmer pull, about a 7.5, 1095 steel, flush except at half-stop (typical GEC), some rivets deep-set. It is exceptional quality for a production knife!!
Each one has a place in my world!
Thanks again Tony!:thumbup:
And Bill!:thumbup:
And Derrick!:thumbup:

Uhhh, No they don't.

Sigh, out of context, let me clarify and correct myself.

I failed at trying to sympathize with his frustration of not being able to buy what he wants.

In my opinion, whatever GEC want's to do with their business is their business.

This horse has been beaten to death! Let's give NJBillK his thread back!

Back