Never Fear, The Northwoods Zulu Spear is Here!

As I was saying;

Back to the knives, I got my Giraffe Bone in the mail yesterday, and so here are a couple of comparison shots with Tony's version.
Doing this pattern was a great idea - congrats to Derrick and Bill!
Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%201_zpsnbsyiwbs.jpg

Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%202_zpsjudhvphi.jpg

They are both wonderful knives!!
The custom is of course more finely detailed, and has a bushing in the pivot. It's as perfect as a handmade knife can be!
ATS-34, long pull, cut swedge, flush in all positions, and the pull is about a 7. All lines are crisp - to die for!!
The GEC holds its own - especially at about 1/15 the price!!
Slightly firmer pull, about a 7.5, 1095 steel, flush except at half-stop (typical GEC), some rivets deep-set. It is exceptional quality for a production knife!!
Each one has a place in my world!
Thanks again Tony!:thumbup:
And Bill!:thumbup:
And Derrick!:thumbup:

Sigh, out of context, let me clarify and correct myself.

I failed at trying to sympathize with his frustration of not being able to buy what he wants.

In my opinion, whatever GEC want's to do with their business is their business.
I think the frustration is as a newbie thinking, gee I'd like that and spending hours to find out you can't have that. And the fact that the websites make you believe they're available until 20 clicks in. Makes you just think it's not worth the frustration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Discuss the knives. The off topic commercial discussion needs to stop now.

I'm the lucky one...#7 on its way to Arizona

Can't wait to see pics of this, holy cow! I'd love to see more speckled bone!

I wasn't able to get in on these and i'm ok with that, there are so many good looking scales that I would have gone crazy trying to choose one. Hope we see more giraffe bone in the future.

Fantastic looking giraffe bone, Charlie! Can we see pictures of the pile side? Curious about how they match...

Dang Charlie, that's a sweet pair! :eek:

Overall, I'm very happy with my Northwoods Zulu - BUT - I think they could have done just a bit better. That long pull and swedge on the Bose just knocks it out of the park. I would have gladly forked out more $$ to have that on the Northwoods (and probably bought 3 or 4 instead of 2)! IMO, that's the only thing keeping a really good knife from being great.

Dang Charlie, that's a sweet pair! :eek:

Overall, I'm very happy with my Northwoods Zulu - BUT - I think they could have done just a bit better. That long pull and swedge on the Bose just knocks it out of the park. I would have gladly forked out more $$ to have that on the Northwoods (and probably bought 3 or 4 instead of 2)! IMO, that's the only thing keeping a really good knife from being great.

Agreed. I appreciate (and many don't it seems) the elegant simplicity of the blade as-is, but that swedge and long pull would have just put it over the top!

I like both blades. The Bose edges the Esky out, but the price difference is not even close! "Variety is the spice. . . ." and all that!
The Bose is special, because Tony made it for me, and without me even asking, he put in all those details. The rat tail bolster knocked my socks off so much, I am still barefoot several years later!!
The pile side of the Esky is darker, but still a complementary match I'd say. There were only a few left when I grabbed this one, so I feel lucky!!
Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%204_zpsy7qf5uwy.jpg

Zulu%20Bose%20Esky%202_zpsjudhvphi.jpg

Both are wonderful Waynorth! I do not know much about knives but I watched a you tube about Tony Bose he is an amazing craftsman. Derrick and this model introduced me to a whole history of knives I did not know about. I also am glad I ordered a Zulu from Knivesshipfree before they where gone my first GEC or Northwoods :). I also Love the TC knives!

Welcome, Natchez! Sounds like you started your knife education with a bang!! :eek::thumbup::thumbup: Congrats, and I hope you enjoy your new Zulu!

- GT

Both knives are beauties Charlie, that Camel bone has very well matched handles. GEC did a very good job on this run.

As I said earlier, I'm very happy with mine! I actually ended up liking it in hand a lot more than I thought, and I'm glad I was able to grab a giraffe when I did. It's now been properly sharpened & riding EDC since the day it came in, sporting a good start to a lunch-time patina!

26658030293_11b68edc84_b.jpg

27194107211_8d1ff42a9b_b.jpg

Apparently there are still a few that are hitting the site. I picked up # 96 in giraffe phone this morning. Patience and luck combined and I've now got a real beauty coming.

Me too, I was surprised to see one for sale this morning. I guess there was a reason they didn't mark the Zulus as all sold out.

I agree with the other's both you knives are beautiful Charlie. However looking at your Zulu brings up a question I've had now for a year or so since I started collecting knives. It's to do with the crack in the handle. I've seen some very nice covers with cool looking patterns of cracks all through them but I was hesitant to pull the trigger for fear the covers were unstable. My question is are the knives with cracks in the covers USEULLY just as sturdy as the ones with out them? P.S. I know this question isn't specifically about the Zulu knife I hope that's ok. Thanks

I agree with the other's both you knives are beautiful Charlie. However looking at your Zulu brings up a question I've had now for a year or so since I started collecting knives. It's to do with the crack in the handle. I've seen some very nice covers with cool looking patterns of cracks all through them but I was hesitant to pull the trigger for fear the covers were unstable. My question is are the knives with cracks in the covers USEULLY just as sturdy as the ones with out them? P.S. I know this question isn't specifically about the Zulu knife I hope that's ok. Thanks

I think most if not all of the cracks are natural. That does not necessarily always equate to weaker material in my opinion. I don't think there was a giraffe or a camel walking around with minor cracks in the bone and suddenly they are more susceptible to breaking their leg. I also think that most if not all of the cracks have been looked at at least in a cursory fashion. If anyone thought that there was an issue, it could be stabilized and would probably be even stronger than the original material without the crack. Honestly, from a practical standpoint of using this knife, I think the natural structure of the mammoth ivory and the bone handles is not going to be problematic at all.

That is a seriously beautiful knife. You got a great one. So much variation in these, probably even more so than smooth camel bone.
As I said earlier, I'm very happy with mine! I actually ended up liking it in hand a lot more than I thought, and I'm glad I was able to grab a giraffe when I did. It's now been properly sharpened & riding EDC since the day it came in, sporting a good start to a lunch-time patina!

26658030293_11b68edc84_b.jpg

27194107211_8d1ff42a9b_b.jpg

I will bet 99% of the camel bone has been stabilized! Just guessing, but we are talking weathered material form found dead camels in some cases. If it gets processed like beef, maybe not, but there are so many weathering checks visible, I cannot see how they could NOT stabilize it with resin . .My 2 cents.
That goes double for Giraffe Bone!!

Thank you Chris and Charlie both. I figured it had to be the case or how would dealers ever sell those knives. Still its always nice to get the opinion of some long time collectors if you can:D

Back