Never Fear, The Northwoods Zulu Spear is Here!

I have no idea if these are stabilized or not. Best I can tell is that they are not, but what do I know.... Maybe Derrick, or someone in the know at KSF, can chime in?

On a side note, a machinist friend of mine was making some 1911 gun grips out of giraffe bone. I asked him why giraffe, and he said it's much harder than cow bone, more durable, and takes fine detail better. He said it had to do with the massive amount of stress put on the long legs of the animal, and that is made the bone much tougher. No idea if that's true, but it sounded plausible.

He said it had to do with the massive amount of stress put on the long legs of the animal, and that is made the bone much tougher. No idea if that's true, but it sounded plausible.

This run got me wondering about giraffe bone and I came across this article.

The researchers placed the limbs securely in rigid frame and by using a hydraulic press applied about 560 pounds of force to each limb to simulate the bodyweight of the giraffe. The legs remained upright and stable even under added force.
(Taken from http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1113185034/giraffe-leg-structure-keep-animal-upright-070414/)

Giraffes are some very heavy animals, and those leg bones are no joke! I'm hoping to pick up one of these giraffe Esky's in the future, I haven't seen one that I didn't like yet.

This run got me wondering about giraffe bone and I came across this article.

(Taken from http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1113185034/giraffe-leg-structure-keep-animal-upright-070414/)

Giraffes are some very heavy animals, and those leg bones are no joke! I'm hoping to pick up one of these giraffe Esky's in the future, I haven't seen one that I didn't like yet.

Cool article! I was afraid he was pulling my leg, but that seems to add a little support - it's gotta be some tough stuff to hold those creatures up!

Cool article! I was afraid he was pulling my leg, but that seems to add a little support - it's gotta be some tough stuff to hold those creatures up!

A kick from an adult giraffe with it's front legs is sufficiently powerful to kill an adult male lion. I'd imagine its back legs would be equally as strong if not stronger.

Wow now there's a pair that a full house couldn't beat ;) That's a beautiful set of knives you got there d.r.h.

Thought I'd share some pics of my new Esky Zulus - Giraffe Bone #72 and Camel Bone #63

FC84A798-1DB1-4A0F-AD12-34D884216839_zpsne23foxu.jpg

F8BDA027-BB59-4A21-A6DB-82637A9311A9_zpsqpaqhy4i.jpg

E29A13BB-C075-4395-A76C-24B2A2EB6A14_zps5wxlyriv.jpg

Last edited:
There sure are some beauties posted here. I almost passed on the Esky Zulu.... Had a shot at the giraffe bones and all.... Kicking myself, but I finally pulled the trigger on a camel bone.

Anyone else notice that the 74 frame this is based on is the 47 frame in reverse? Too bad GEC doesn't release more single blade 74's. This is probably the best size and shape for a folding knife ever. BTW, I believe the cotton sampler is a single blade that utilizes this frame as well, but not such a useful blade shape.

Derrick, you really hit a home run with this pattern!

Shown with a 47

Lol, I was looking at that one also, the mystery knife, nice score!

Thanks. Definitely nice, and a denim micarta on the way too.

Someone got one like this, posted a while back. I thought it was Giraffe but I guess a few crazy camels got through.

Not sure which I like best yet. Not that it matters; I'll never part with either!
IMG_20160602_115200_zpsmrcxv3pc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There are some amazing handles on these knives!
I just got my Mammoth in - it looks and feels like old barn wood!
I think I have seen this texture at the base of some tusks - must be "tusk root"!
Anyone know? Knifemakers?:confused:

Zulu%20Esky%20Mammoth%201_zps86amhcr0.jpg

Zulu%20Esky%20Mammoth%202_zpslgi9vayx.jpg

That's freaky, Charlie.

You sure they didn't give you some of that old barn chestnut meant for the #15s? :D

(I am fighting a mighty battle with myself not to buy that knife, regardless of how awesome GEC's woods have been lately. :grumpy:)

I grabbed a "Denim Dan" off the exchange because I loved the style and have been wanting to try out denim micarta for a while now. The micarta seems to be less stable than typical canvas/paper/linen micarta to the touch. Almost feels like you could pull threads out of it. I love the feel of it now, but it has me worried about how it will wear. Has anyone touched up this micarta by sending to get rid of some of the rougher edges that seem "thready"? Or is it perfectly fine and I should just go with it and not worry?

its just roughly finished, also why the bolsters are left satin. Theres no danger of threads coming loose, it just takes a nice grippy texture when finished like that, and I'm glad they did it. It can be polished almost like canvas micarta, but loses that unique denim feel.

Back