New 2017 Benchmades....

I feel like most people in this thread. None of the new 2017 knives really grab me. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not super critical of the blade steel choice. I'm a fan of S30V, especially BM S30V. I've had good experiences with my knives in that steel. Other than that, I already own most of what I want in their overall catalog, outside of the 20CV grips.

Some good points, but based on my experience with small machined parts for our extremely high-precision wind tunnel models, I don't think it would be too hard to machine that slot to a 0.001" tolerance with standard machinery. The slot wouldn't be all that deep for such a small handle (I'm thinking 94x in size from the looks), and a carbide slotting wheel could maybe even be used which would likely make it a no-brainer. I'm not saying it's trivial, but far from impossible with modern CNC equipment.

That's a good point about the slotting wheel, now that you mention it, I always forget about those and think in terms of endmills.

How can a company that made the AFCK, Rukus, 940x, Adamas, 710, Contego and the Strykers come up with this for 2017? Just really feel like they dropped the ball this year. They had so many good designs in the past. And this rubbery handle junk?

Come on.

Benchmade is my favorite company overall. The 2017 line up is really upsetting. Does anyone know what happened? Did they have major changes to their management or designers?

I just talked to a person in another group that just purchased the Freek they said after it being in their pocket for a few hours the center grip got sticky just as I thought it would so I'm out of the 2017 lineup myself especially disappointing it's the 30th anniversary.

Be seeing you, Arick

I was interested in the Azeria till I learned they cloned another companies knife and charge $25 more. The main benchmade site raised prices too. Houndani used to be $45 now $50 . They charge flat rate $15 shipping orders up to $250. Then raise shipping prices. Rather then offee free shipping on more expensive orders they charge more instead.

I hate their customer service and already had fallout with them. If you're a leo or military they will bend over for you. Civilian use gets lower customer service.

The 781 looks nice, but is way expensive at $425. Nothing else catches my eye, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, I think Benchmade drank waaay to much of their own Kool- Aide . ;)

I have a 940bk, 940-1,grip full size 550, and a 710 all centered. Benchmades are still my favorite knife. I was a super fan. I even almost ordered a hat hopeing to bring more knife conversion my way. But after seeing this line up and hearing about poor quality control. No can do. Maybe I'll look for an 810

With all of the good stuff in the flow from years past, I'm not missing much from the 2017 catalog offerings. And the fact that they will service what we Do find out there, there's no worries on my part.

^ I would not depend on benchmade servicing discontinued knives. When they couldn't repair my balisong they didn't replace it they gave me a $75 dollar gift certificate and their cheapest balisong is $275 plus the more you spend the more in shipping they charge.

Good point, I don't work for Benchmade, but they have serviced my discontinued models...If there aren't available spare parts that are required, yes, that could be a problem.

^ I would not depend on benchmade servicing discontinued knives. When they couldn't repair my balisong they didn't replace it they gave me a $75 dollar gift certificate and their cheapest balisong is $275 plus the more you spend the more in shipping they charge.
I really think its dependent on the particular discontinued models as I just sent a 722 first production Pardue, a Bradley Alias 2 and a 970 PE Emerson. They changed out all the screws and omega springs on my 722 as they did a spa treatment on all three knives. I could see that being a problem with certain older models particularly butterfly knives.

Be seeing you, Arick

Taking into account price, design and material quality IMO this year Benchmade has discontinued better models than the new they are releasing :(

I really think its dependent on the particular discontinued models as I just sent a 722 first production Pardue, a Bradley Alias 2 and a 970 PE Emerson. They changed out all the screws and omega springs on my 722 as they did a spa treatment on all three knives. I could see that being a problem with certain older models particularly butterfly knives.

Be seeing you, Arick

That's where the fallout was. They didn't repair my knife, they didn't replace it. They issued me a $75 dollar gift certificate to their main website where everything is MSRP and you pay $15 for shipping alone.

It was the worst customer service of any service or company I ever used. Multiple complaints did nothing

At 425 for the 781 it should be gold plated.those freek models are ugly.

That's where the fallout was. They didn't repair my knife, they didn't replace it. They issued me a $75 dollar gift certificate to their main website where everything is MSRP and you pay $15 for shipping alone.

It was the worst customer service of any service or company I ever used. Multiple complaints did nothing

What balisong model was it? They give a gift certificate commensurate with the price when new. The old balisongs weren't expensive, and just because the secondary market value may have gone up, doesn't mean Benchmade has to honor that. The 42 was a couple hundred dollars when new, if that much. If they can't repair one, they're not going to give a gift certificate for the current secondary market value over $400.

I would of been happy with any refurbished model. Gift certificate is minus $15 for shipping alone. It's more so for them to get you to spend even more.

Not to mention right here on the forums I hear other members got the certificate and the knife back when making warranty claims.
Mine was one or the other they kept mine.

Back