NEW 4.7 Thread

I believe the last 4.7 thread is dead and I started this one in hopes to resurrect the original 4.7 post.

I was lucky enough to get a pre-production sample Cru Forge V and so far it's my new favorite knife. In general I am not a fan of coated blades but this one doesn't seem to drag. Guy has done a great job re contouring the handles, they are even better than the new 5.1. But I've been accused of being a "fan boy" so I'd love to hear people's comments, reviews and opinions of this new knife and design. Come one come all, be positive, neutral or negative but let's keep the discussion about the knife. If you have any issues about other things please start a new thread.

From another thread but here's how it looks compared to some other S!Ks

Last edited:
Ohhhh Van thank you for this!!

I love the pics. I also have a Cru Forge V on order and looking at the pics and reading all your posts on the knife leads me to believe it's going to be excellent for what I am after.

I hope they won't take too much longer. The only issue I am concerned about is getting a second one :)

The more I see pictorials of the new 4.7, the more I feel that will be my go to GSO and I can't wait till I receive my 4.7 F-2nd hopefully sometimes in July. I have a feeling when I hold this model, I will no longer want to hang onto my unused F-2nd 5.1. Those old school GSOs also look like they were made for use and perhaps some abuse. The new ones are so refined in fit and finish that in my possession they will probably just end up as top shelf queens!

It's a great knife. Unless the knife blade is 3.5" to 4" or smaller I prefer a choil because of the control you get for the carving and cutting that I do. But not with the 4.7. The pocket in the handle closest to the plunge line feels like a choil and gives the user a ton of control. Anyway it's the best handle I've felt, even better then my LT Wright GNS, especially with Guy's new micro-finish.

Now you have my juices flowing. I have my GSO 4.1 in M390 on my belt as I type this. My GSO 5 is just a little too large for casual hanging out and various cutting duties around the house and kitchen. The 4.7 looks like it nicely resides in between the 4.1 and the 5. FYI, I carry the 5.1 more than any S! knife, and it clearly has become my favorite. I have two old school 5.1s, and gave another one to my son. Was too busy to pick a new 5.1 up on the Mondays, and did not want to pre-order another. But it looks like the new design will soon become a favorite of mine. I love a hand filling handle

Here's the deal with me and my current messed up left index finger*: I tried some light batoning yesterday with a 5" knife (an older beat up ESEE 5 from years past) to test my hand and being right handed, I normally hold the baton in the right and the knife in the left. Well, the vibrations from the batoning through the blade and handle to my hand and damaged index felt very uncomfortable to say the least. Perhaps it could be a bit different with some more time, a bigger blade and also better steel than 1095 and better shock absorbing handle scales, but I was not about to test my GSO 5.1 for that purpose. So, for the time being till maybe in about 6 months or so with more recuperation time and rehab, this may improve to my favor. Switching hands was not much better either because the felt vibrations through the batoning wood was actually worse plus I didn't have full control of the baton. For now, I will just have to rely on my GB Wildlife hatchet for splitting 3"- 4" wood.

Cut a long story short and from what I gather, considering my hand size and the ergonomics on that new generation 4.7 handle scales, I think that this will be the GSO model which will both fit my purpose and my current dilemma. However, I will not know till I put it through its paces but I do know that I don't want to experiment the same with my 5.1 because I rather sell it as unused item if it comes to that after receiving my 4.7.

*OBX, you had asked me recently as to what had happened and I didn't go into it again to sound like a crybaby. To recap, I accidentally stabbed myself deeply into my left index while prying out an avocado seed and now I have a severed tendon which does not allow me to make a properly clenched fist and also I have some nerve damage which does no allow me to much feel the inner side of my left index. Therefore my left index is still quite weak but has made lots of improvement in these past 3 weeks since the kitchen accident. I weighed the risks presented to me by the surgeon and despite his recommendation for, I decided to forego surgery for the time being and perhaps for good!

I would never hesitate on thumping on a 5.1. I have beat the snot out of mine, and it would look like new if I polished the skid marks off the side.

Since this is a new 4.7 thread and some among us are/were (perhaps) expecting to order a F-2nd 4.7 today: Monday 5/30, I just looked up Survive! site again and Ellie has not updated that page. It does not look too promising for today. Maybe both good and bad, good because this will not further irritate those on the 4.7 long waiting list.

Here's the deal with me and my current messed up left index finger*: I tried some light batoning yesterday with a 5" knife (an older beat up ESEE 5 from years past) to test my hand and being right handed, I normally hold the baton in the right and the knife in the left. Well, the vibrations from the batoning through the blade and handle to my hand and damaged index felt very uncomfortable to say the least. Perhaps it could be a bit different with some more time, a bigger blade and also better steel than 1095 and better shock absorbing handle scales, but I was not about to test my GSO 5.1 for that purpose. So, for the time being till maybe in about 6 months or so with more recuperation time and rehab, this may improve to my favor. Switching hands was not much better either because the felt vibrations through the batoning wood was actually worse plus I didn't have full control of the baton. For now, I will just have to rely on my GB Wildlife hatchet for splitting 3"- 4" wood.

Cut a long story short and from what I gather, considering my hand size and the ergonomics on that new generation 4.7 handle scales, I think that this will be the GSO model which will both fit my purpose and my current dilemma. However, I will not know till I put it through its paces but I do know that I don't want to experiment the same with my 5.1 because I rather sell it as unused item if it comes to that after receiving my 4.7.

*OBX, you had asked me recently as to what had happened and I didn't go into it again to sound like a crybaby. To recap, I accidentally stabbed myself deeply into my left index while prying out an avocado seed and now I have a severed tendon which does not allow me to make a properly clenched fist and also I have some nerve damage which does no allow me to much feel the inner side of my left index. Therefore my left index is still quite weak but has made lots of improvement in these past 3 weeks since the kitchen accident. I weighed the risks presented to me by the surgeon and despite his recommendation for, I decided to forego surgery for the time being and perhaps for good!

The 4.7 feels different than the 5.1 and because it's shorter the 4.7 will be easier to use. Re batoning already having an ax you might be better for cutting larger wood with it and using a smaller knife to make kindling. There will also be less vibrations batoning smaller wood. Just my opinion but you might be better with the 4.7 or 4.1 until your hand gets stronger. Keep the 5.1 and if you don't use it sell it to one of us!!

I would never hesitate on thumping on a 5.1. I have beat the snot out of mine, and it would look like new if I polished the skid marks off the side.

In my heart of hearts, I know that I will not be using the 5.1 3V so despite the fact that it will clean up, I still rather hold onto it as unused and just fondled till I receive my F-2nd 4.7 and then make the final decision. Originally I had ordered it with Black & Orange handle scales but the knife really reminded me of the Cinci Bengals! I switched handle scales to Camo canvas but I find it to sleek and in my situation I want more grip. I am hoping that the Jade Ghost G10 scales I ordered with the 4.7 will come micro textured so I am willing to wait the extra to be pleasantly surprised with that notion. Of course I could also start messing around with putting sand paper on those Camo handle scales, but I am not going to risk messing them up. If you have not noticed, as of now Survive!'s site shows "product unavailable" status for the new style GSO 5.1 handle scales and fasteners.

OT and regarding GB axe: I am not too enthused with the Wildlife hatchet. I find it too short in the handle thus I prefer the longer GB Small Forest axe. Problem is that that sucker is on backorder through many GB dealer websites. Of course you can find them on eBay but I don't want to buy one that ends up being an improperly hung GB reject. Also, I don't want to pay 50% premium on those either. Case in point, if any of you fellas are near a retailer and happen to see a good one there (please don't go out of your way) i am willing to send you PP cash + Priority Mail shipping + some extra for your trouble (does $20-$25 on top sounds fair?). I know most of you don't need the $ but it's just a token of my appreciation. Thank you :thumbup:

Would you consider a Wetterlings Outdoor Axe? Or would you consider a Husqvarna while you wait for for your Gransfors Bruks? I've got one and they are great axes for the money. Just make sure the grain lines up in the handle.

At the expense of derailing another thread! Yes I would if I needed one this week or next but I since I can wait, I rather have the GB's SFA :)

Now you have my juices flowing. I have my GSO 4.1 in M390 on my belt as I type this. My GSO 5 is just a little too large for casual hanging out and various cutting duties around the house and kitchen. The 4.7 looks like it nicely resides in between the 4.1 and the 5. FYI, I carry the 5.1 more than any S! knife, and it clearly has become my favorite. I have two old school 5.1s, and gave another one to my son. Was too busy to pick a new 5.1 up on the Mondays, and did not want to pre-order another. But it looks like the new design will soon become a favorite of mine. I love a hand filling handle

It really does fit between the two and might rival your 5.1, at least the old one. The new 5.1 is pretty awesome too. It's good to have options!

4729cf20af3f03268cb0051c18b1c3ca.jpg

Love the new 4.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing i would Change ok my sk4. 7 is the thickness. I would prefer 5/32", but it's A SURVIVE! Knife. I have knives to fill the thinner category, i just think i would Carry it more regularly if it went on a diet.

Back