NEW 4.7 Thread

This is my very first CPM 3V knife, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it isn't as difficult to sharpen it as some people have said 3V can be to sharpen in general

This seems to be a common misconception. I'm terrible at sharpening, but I've had pretty good results with 3v on a diamond stone and even just a strop. Glad you've had a good experience!

The new heat treat 20cv and 3v are easier to sharpen then the original 3v and 20cv that I bought 3 years ago.

My experience is the same as Van's. The current 3V I have from S!K and CPK sharpens easier than 3V I've had in the past (mostly from other makers). Curiously, it seems like it also holds an edge longer. I think this is because of the optimization of the heat treat which produces the greater edge stability. Top echelon 3V IMO, especially the Delta protocol.

If Guys gets bored perhaps he can run a set of knives in M4 at high hardness.
It wouldn't be as tough as the 3V but if you want something that sharpens easily and holds an edge very well M4 gets my vote.
This is BF after all, you have to expect some steel junky chatter. :)

I'm loving my 4.7 too! Just melts in your hand!

pz40H51.jpg

4qd3gzR.jpg

xoZfGwr.jpg

If Guys gets bored perhaps he can run a set of knives in M4 at high hardness.
It wouldn't be as tough as the 3V but if you want something that sharpens easily and holds an edge very well M4 gets my vote.
This is BF after all, you have to expect some steel junky chatter. :)

I don't think it would be as tough (wouldn't notice with normal use) but I think would hold an edge longer. Corrosion resistance might be slightly worse with m4.

I got 20cv. First blade in that steel. Already have the 4.7 in CruForge. Like it! I do kinda wish I would have ordered one in 3v though.

Pics to prove it happened when it arrives!

I may be a little late to the party............but I have to say that the GSO 4.7 is incredible. Just picked this up from another forum member, and I must say the design lives up to the hype.
Can't wait to get out and test it out. Didn't think I would like the mostly spear point or the redesigned handle ergos, but I absolutely love both.
It's the plain jane 3V version with black canvas micarta and black sheath (still waiting for the Cruforge V to arrive)....

057239B2-0DB8-4E7C-B146-AACFD92FCD40_zpswczpwrpx.jpg

Plain Jane but Bad @$$!!

Something else that I don't think people talk about much is that this is a generational knife. You'll be able to give it to your grandchildren. I believe Guy uses timeless designs that simply work for many situations and tasks. Yeah it's cool to have several but you really only need one or maybe two to do about 95% to 99% of your EDC/utility/camping/survival cutting needs. The other % requiring a small pocket knife. Congrats!!

I think that IG post is my blade. I got the feelzzzz.

So you have a presale you haven't recieved yet? By process of elimination, that must be yours. How cool would that be. If there are more than one camo handled models going out maybe one or some are already boxed and ready to go. A big milestone regardless. Keep us updated!

Munzer, that is awesome. Is that a canvas handle? Our 4.7's are twins! I love that look so much.

OBX, good insight as always. Being practical is rarely much fun, though :D

Plain Jane but Bad @$$!!

Agreed 100%. I owned many different brands and designs over the years, looking for something to knock Survive! off the top of the list, but Guy's designs check all the right boxes.
I've owned a several S!K knives, and previously the 6 was my favorite, but I think the overall design of the 4.7 really lends itself for pretty much most things I will need a knife to do.
Best purchase I've made in a while. Awesome!

Back