NEW 4.7 Thread

I don't think the model is discontinued like the GSO 5, but I think the current run is finished like the 5.1. I'm guessing that after they're through everything that is on the current production schedule, they'll swing back around through the order. I wonder if Fancier Fancier knows anything I may hsve overlooked.

I'd like to see more 4.7s in production, but I wouldn't expect to see new ones for a matter of years.

I agree, I assume it was one of their most popular runs. It fit the right niche in a "only one fixed blade option" size.

Can you use the bow drill hole on your Survive knife slab to start one? :D
You know, this got me thinking. I have never tried to start a fire this way, let alone use the Survive knife handle to help.
Dave, I'll bet you can do it this way blindfolded? Maybe even Chiral? I don't know enough about the rest of you all, feel free to chime in.

I've started fire by bow drill successfully many times, but the energy involved is a helluva lot more than flint/steel, ferro rod, etc. I prefer to just carry a ferro rod, but if push comes to shove, then I could make a coal by bowdrill. It would have to be a last resort, life or death situation. I'd say get out and practice it until you get good at it. Once you get good, forget about it and carry you a Bic lighter! lol Bowdrill fire skills are a tool to keep in your toolbox, to utilize when nothing else works.

Dave, I'll bet you can do it this way blindfolded?

With a bow drill or friction fire, no, I couldn't do it so easily. It requires a lot of effort. I mean I can build one that way but it has been several years and I'm out of practice. There's some technique involved, and you need to have the mental fortitude to know that you CAN accomplish this. Plus you need for each piece to be conducive to building a coal and not all wood/plank/bow material yields a good coal with friction. I'm with Jonny, it would be a last ditch effort where I'd have to be separated from my main fire kit and the steel and lighter in my pocket in order to try one that way anymore. I've about got something at all times to start a fire on me because I'm out so much. So I don't play 'fair' when it comes to building fire. I've always said that if I could snap my fingers and have five gallons of diesel appear out of thin air with a 3-pack of new bic lighters when I needed it out there I'd do it.

Last edited:
BUT, Jonny is like my brother from another mother when I hear him talk about this stuff :thumbsup:

Our country is a little different, him living S/SE and me in the NW, but he's got a ton of knowledge, so I'm all up for a fire-building discussion. Someday he's going to decide to chase an elk or mule deer buck out here and I'm going to pull into camp and shoot the breeze with him awhile :D

For sure my friend! Not only are my wife and I into knives, but we are into using them, discussing what we like or dislike about them, the woods, fire, shelter, food, water, packs to carry our stuff in. Tent or hammock? Dehydrated foods or canned goods? Hell, we could have a thread by itself discussing the outdoors! And then map and compass to get where we are going!

For sure my friend! Not only are my wife and I into knives, but we are into using them, discussing what we like or dislike about them, the woods, fire, shelter, food, water, packs to carry our stuff in. Tent or hammock? Dehydrated foods or canned goods? Hell, we could have a thread by itself discussing the outdoors! And then map and compass to get where we are going!

I'm all for that. I've got my hands full trying to work and cut up meat right at the moment, but will chime in as I can. Pictures and stories to follow at some point!

I agree, I assume it was one of their most popular runs. It fit the right niche in a "only one fixed blade option" size.
There are some people who still prefer the 5.1 because it has that silly choil ( :) ), but for me, it really is the perfect size. Between the handle contours and blade profile, I just love it. I'd really like to see what I'd prefer for a one-knife between the 4.7 and the upcoming 6.

Last edited:

The two of you can become You-Tube'rs and as you expand you channel's content, you will become product testers and "influencers". May not be our cuppa tea but since you seem to be honest and a straight-shooter, you may want to think about that scenario if your schedule permits.

There are some people who still prefer the 5.1 because it has that silly choil ( :) ), but for me, it really is the perfect size. Between the handle contours and blade profile, I just love it. I'd really like to see what I'd prefer for a one-knife between the 4.7 and the upcoming 6.

I'm equally eager to find that same thing out as well.

The two of you can become You-Tube'rs and as you expand you channel's content, you will become product testers and "influencers". May not be our cuppa tea but since you seem to be honest and a straight-shooter, you may want to think about that scenario if your schedule permits.
I like where this is going! Seeing's how I'm a redneck Hillbilly from WV, I could provide some background banjo music. :)

He’s a bit optimistic on his availability assessments, but seems to be pretty high on the knife.

He bought it second hand and got some of the details wrong but I'm glad that he is happy with the knife.
Every time he mentioned "factory floor" and "owner involvement in the manufacturing" I chuckled.
Thanks for sharing the video! :thumbsup:

Back