New 9400 Osborne Auto Looks Great!

Looks sweet but would have been cooler in axis auto, but still nice

Yes I like the fact they kept the green and purple look. I also agree a axis auto would have been very cool.

Yea, I feel like it's a big misstep not making this an axis auto, but I assume there wasn't enough room around the pivot to do that over the push button.

I really would have preferred the Axis Dual Action auto, but I'm guessing that would have been too complex for something this skinny.

I’m super stoked to see that it isn’t an Axis Auto. Button autos are easier to open and close one-handed.

However...

They had every opportunity to not use S30V, but used it anyways. The pivot area on push-button autos are cut differently than on the Axis blades, so using 20CV (or literally anything else) wouldn’t have been an issue.

The Kershaw Launch series uses CPM-154, which about on par with S30V (better, IMHO), and they all cost a third to half the price of the 9400.

I’m super stoked to see that it isn’t an Axis Auto. Button autos are easier to open and close one-handed.

However...

They had every opportunity to not use S30V, but used it anyways. The pivot area on push-button autos are cut differently than on the Axis blades, so using 20CV (or literally anything else) wouldn’t have been an issue.

The Kershaw Launch series uses CPM-154, which about on par with S30V (better, IMHO), and they all cost a third to half the price of the 9400.
I think the goal was to make it as identical to the OG 940 as possible. Which I believe makes sense. If it is popular, I would expect 9400-1 and so on variants in the future. And lets be real, it is still incredibly easy to close an Axis Auto with one hand.

Personally, I hate the Axis Auto! I have three of them and never carry them.

I much prefer the push button. It is a defined push and release.

*personal preference* (if you like the Axis versions, great. I am not starting a debate.)

I'm excited for this and own a lot of Benchmades, but no autos. So, I can't comment on whether I prefer the button auto or axis auto.

Any idea on release date and price? I'd guess $250?

I'm excited for this and own a lot of Benchmades, but no autos. So, I can't comment on whether I prefer the button auto or axis auto.

Any idea on release date and price? I'd guess $250?

$230 for uncoated blade
$238 for black blade

Retailers are taking pre-orders, but I don’t know when they are rolling out. I have seen that a few people have already got them, but I don’t know how?

$230 for uncoated blade
$238 for black blade

Retailers are taking pre-orders, but I don’t know when they are rolling out. I have seen that a few people have already got them, but I don’t know how?

Not bad I guess, but only wish they'd done it with a different steel. Hopefully I can grab one on the secondary market for around $200

I think the goal was to make it as identical to the OG 940 as possible. Which I believe makes sense. If it is popular, I would expect 9400-1 and so on variants in the future. And lets be real, it is still incredibly easy to close an Axis Auto with one hand.

All of the Axis Autos I’ve handled required a pinch between two fingers to open and close. Opening that way is meh, but closing is where it really struggles. A push-button auto allows me to disengage the lock and close the blade with my pointer finger. Can’t do that (easily) with the Axis Auto.

The only way I could get an Axis Auto to close is by using my leg to push the blade shut. I used to use my leg to close all of my autos one-handed (minus OTF’s obviously). I stopped doing that after stabbing a sizable hole in my thigh with an AFO II :oops:

All of the Axis Autos I’ve handled required a pinch between two fingers to open and close. Opening that way is meh, but closing is where it really struggles. A push-button auto allows me to disengage the lock and close the blade with my pointer finger. Can’t do that (easily) with the Axis Auto.

I only have one Axis auto, the D/A Serum, but I find it easy to close one handed by pulling the axis bar down with the thumb and pointer finger, then using the pointer to push the bade closed while I hold the axis bar down with the thumb. Similar motion to what you describe, it just has the extra movement of the pointer finger from the axis bar to the spine of the blade. Sometimes I can pull the axis bar with my middle finger and thumb, but that takes a little more concentration on my part.

ETA: I use the same method for my Axis-assist Benchmades too

Last edited:
i don’t have a problem closing my 9555 one handed. i usually pull back on the axis bar with my forefinger and close the blade with my thumb on the spine. do the same with my axis assisted knives. i started doing it this way after i closed 477 on my forefinger several time when it slipped off the spine of the blade.

Does any know if know if the blade tang is made like a regular 940 except for a round recess machined for a coil spring and a ramped lock surface where the plunge lock locks up somewhere in he middle like my Soldat.Or like a traditional auto,a round tang with a locking notch and no axis lock ramp.

Does any know if know if the blade tang is made like a regular 940 except for a round recess machined for a coil spring and a ramped lock surface where the plunge lock locks up somewhere in he middle like my Soldat.Or like a traditional auto,a round tang with a locking notch and no axis lock ramp.

It's a traditional Benchmade push button auto tang.

Wow this is exciting. And hooray for the button, it gives it a sleeker look in my opinion.

The only way I could get an Axis Auto to close is by using my leg to push the blade shut. I used to use my leg to close all of my autos one-handed (minus OTF’s obviously). I stopped doing that after stabbing a sizable hole in my thigh with an AFO II :oops:

Never had an Axis Auto but I think I would prefer a push button. The auto spring seems to take away the best part of the Axis lock (easy opening/closing).

Back