New Al Mars - some comments, no pictures Edit: Problem, downgraded

Update - The Eagle Classic as developed blade play. Downgrade to about 75% of old classic. More in new post.

Short review - the Eagle Classic is 95% of the old Al Mar Eagles at half (or less) the current price. The fit and finish are what don't measure up.
The Eagle and Hawk are light, but have liners. Not really 'ultra' light which misses the point. They are flippers but can be pinched open. But again, less than half the price. At $40 and less, these are good but not spectacular buys.
These are certainly far closer to the original Al Mar flavor than the Kershaw collabs.

New China made, new ownership of name Al Mars are distinguished from the old Al Mars in part by their part numbers. The new begin with '4' or '7'. Well 'AMK4' or 'AMK7' while previous Al Mars start with '1'.

So I'll be comparing this against both my Al Mar and other Moki made knives.
The Eagle Classic has honey bone jigged handles with thumb studs and the 'talon' blade. The talons are flat ground blades with a swedge.
The knife came needing a drop of oil and some wear in. Unlike many Moki made knives, there was no initial grittiness. After a few dozen openings, it wore in smooth but tighter than my other Eagles. Not quite as glassy smooth.
Where the new Eagle falls short is in fit. While the spine of the knife is fine - the transition from scales to liner to backspring are seamless, the other points of transition aren't up to the standards of the old Al Mar. A couple of the pins stand slightly proud, catching some skin if you run your fingers around them. It isn't uncomfortable and certainly within the standards of traditional knives.
At the same time the transition from bolster to scales can also be felt by the fingers and a nail will definitely catch. The knife is far to new for the bone to have shrunk. The blade and backspring don't mate perfectly either and can catch a nail.
These aren't egregious errors, but Al Mars and Moki made knives are known for their fit and finish. Under a different name, these flaws might not even stand out as much - especially at the $95 price tag.

Now the Ultra Lights - the Hawk and Eagle.
They are open backed liner lock designs with steel stand offs. They have FRN handles with embedded steel liners with oval cutouts to lighten the load. Because the the liners, they aren't as light as the original Al Mar Ultra Lights.
Original Ultra Light Eagle - 2.7 oz New Ultra Light Eagle - 3.4 oz
Original Ultra Light Hawk - .96 oz New Ultra Light Hawk - 1.3 oz
So an extra 20-33%, which makes no sense in an 'ultra' light knife. Perhaps this is explained by the FRN handles compared to the old micarta handles, but Spyderco manages FRN Enduras and Shamans. This really makes them 'HD' models though.
Both the Hawk and Eagle have the corners of the tangs rounded off. With no backspring to mate with, this change may appeal to some.
As flippers, the tabs have some non-aggressive jumping. It doesn't come into play as the top is rounded and my finger never really came into contact when opening. There is enough blade to pinch open if a slower open is desired.
The Hawk has a good detent, firing open strongly. I'd like to have the detent of the Eagle stronger, none the less it opened and locked regardless of the angle I held the knife.
The steel has been changed from AUS-8 to 8CR13MoV.
Neither has come as sharp out of the box as my Ultra Light Falcons or Eagles, though the edges aren't bad out of the box.
The Eagle's blade is centered when closed, but the Hawk leans to one side about 60-40. It does not touch.
Both are tapped for tip up carry only. The left sides have a tab in the recess held in by two torx screws, eliminating an area where gunk might build up.
Each is held together by three points - the pivot, a stand off at the spine, and and a stand off on the butt end - by torx screws. The pivot on the Eagle is proud, but the other screws are flush. On the Hawk, all are flush.
For $40 on the Eagle and $35 for the Hawk, these are decent buys in my opinion. As Al Mars, maybe 85% of the way there.

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment of the Al Mar Eagle classic
I have bought both a Chinese and a Japanese made version.

My comments would be the exacts some and I would add the following 3 regarding the Chinese made version:

- Harder to fully open one handed (already put a drop of oil)
- Backspring is really hard to push to disengage the lock
- It is about 20gr lighter and the handle is 1.2mm thinner

Close, but no cigar. That said it is a usable blade that allows me to spare my Japanese made version, it just doesn't have the same tactile pleasure

So now we have three points of quality control variances - difference in pull strength, different detent strength, and pins that aren't flush.
Because I didn't have a problem opening on handed. Now we can assume that on the first run they lack the uniform quality of Moki made Al Mars.

The thinner handles is interesting. I don't have calipers and since I don't have bone handled Al Mars never thought to compare back to back with my other Eagles. Thanks for the added input!

Since my initial week with the Eagle, I have used it lightly. I've also cycled it open-closed to smooth out the action. From this, the blade has developed some play - both side to side and up & down when open. With little wear on it, this is very alarming. Certainly not a sign it will age well. While some play is seen in Buck Knives, those are also far lower in cost.
It is also a characteristic of Japanese made Al Mars that they lock up tight to the point of the join of the blade to backspring is very hard to detect by hand, no play. So because of this and considering future wear, I downgrade my rating to 75% or less of the Japanese Al Mar Eagles.

I may buy an Eagle UL Ti but at the moment I am hoping they do a better on the fixed blades to be revealed in June.
So far I am not impressed...

Back