New belt grinder

So what do you guys think about this ? Instead of classic rotary platen attached to belt grinder I see done for belt grinders , what if I do this way?? Somehow it's easier for me to do this .It will be dedicated 2 X 42 grinder , no other tools there . I see some advantage ,everything on one plate so easy and precise to do , no belt slipping ,easy tracking .... Picture say all no need to explain more , I think ?

PQpmTK2.png

I don't see it working.

Is the "rubber belt" a grooved belt with all the wheels matched to the groove? If not, the rubber belt won't stay in place.

I don't see it working.

Is the "rubber belt" a grooved belt with all the wheels matched to the groove? If not, the rubber belt won't stay in place.
Of course + flange on drive and tension wheel .That part should work perfectly without any doubt ...
Just note .....
A significant advantage of flat belts is efficiency of nearly 99%, about 2.5-3% better than V-belts. Good efficiency is due to lower bending losses from a thin cross-section, low creep because of friction covers and high modulus of elasticity traction layers, and no wedging action into pulleys.

Pulley alignment is important to flat belts. Belt tracking is improved by crowning at least one pulley, usually the larger one. Flat belts are forgiving of misalignment; however, proper alignment improves belt life.
V-ribbed belts combine some of the best features of flat belts and V-belts. The thin belt operates efficiently and can run at high speeds. Tensioning requirements are about 20% higher than V-belts. The ribs ensure the belt tracks properly, making alignment less critical than it is for flat belts.

Last edited:
The picture does not explain all. The longer I look at it, the more confused I get.
Red line is rubber belt , ride on all wheel except on tracking/tension wheel for grinding belt and was under constant tension . Grinding belt / blue line / rides over rubber belt + ride on tracking/tension wheel . I hope it is clear now ?

"Of course + flange on drive and tension wheel .That part should work perfectly without any doubt ..."
OK.

I would move the middle of the three small wheels out a bit.
I would make the whole unit pivot on the center so every surface can be facing forward.

"Of course + flange on drive and tension wheel .That part should work perfectly without any doubt ..."
OK.

I would move the middle of the three small wheels out a bit.
I would make the whole unit pivot on the center so every surface can be facing forward.
It is /will be/ out a bit but I cover that part on the drawing with that red and blue line .Moving up and down middle small wheel will help to find right place for grinding .Convex grind is what I plan to grind on this grinder ...What do you mean with whole unit ? Complete grinder to pivot on the center or just that three small wheel where I plan to grind ?

You need to have all the wheels grooved and the grooves of each individual wheel lined up fairly close.
If you run a grooved belt over flat pulleys it will smash the gooves and wear out very quickly.

I guess I just don’t see the benefit over just a 2, 3, or 4 (grooved) wheel platen. Seems like taking something relatively simple and making it more complicated and expensive.

I'm betting the benefit is that he has all the parts to make this on hand.

I guess I just don’t see the benefit over just a 2, 3, or 4 (grooved) wheel platen. Seems like taking something relatively simple and making it more complicated and expensive.
Benefit I see it is that will be more easy to build it , no need for other plate .I expect grinder to run quieter and more easy on grinding belt to run , because it don t push rubber belt to spin .Other advantage I see is more power on belt for grinding because has less chance to slip on drive wheel ...I don t know , that s why I open this topic to hear your opinion about this .

You need to have all the wheels grooved and the grooves of each individual wheel lined up fairly close.
If you run a grooved belt over flat pulleys it will smash the gooves and wear out very quickly.
That s easy part ..........At the end I don t need to make grove in wheels if I want to do other way , I can run belt with flat side on wheels without any problem , crown on drive wheel and on tension wheel are enough belt to run right .....

Back