New Bento Box Exclusive?

If I remember correctly. For those of us who bought them new. Didn't we shell out like $220 for the Carbon fiber, M-4 PM2? I'm pretty sure we did, And I don't remember much complaining about it either.

Whoever had that exclusive, escapes me, right now. But yes, you're right, I don't remember anybody objecting to that price. Maybe they did, and I can't remember?

Personally, I like these exclusives. Plus, if you just hold onto them, for awhile (couple of years?), chances are, you're going to be able to sell it, for more than you bought it for. Of course, with some exclusives, you can sell them for more, right away!

BB's M390, blue, PM2, goes for $300.00, on eBay, when BB's OOS. I guess I have a hard time understanding why people get so upset, with them.

My first Spyderco was a PM2, camo. What a freakin' mistake, lol. And now, I have a whole drawer full of them. Oh my, it's really pissing off my wife! :p:D

And yes, for those of you, who've cried about their shipping charges, yes, I'm busting your balls, a bit. Don't take it personally! I realize that you have emotional issues, as do I , so maybe we should have a group hug? :D

ETA: Whole drawer of Spyderco's, < 1/3 of them, PM2's!

I think that the bottom line (IMHO) is that people expect better from Spyderco. There's clearly a special relationship between Spyderco and Bento Box. A larger and more institutionalized company such as Benchmade would never allow a Bento Box type of outfit to be a dealer. This is like Rolex setting up a cruddy strip mall jeweler as a dealer. People will buy the knives, but Bento Box isn't doing Spyderco any favors.

LOL. There is a knife store in the country (do the math) that charges MSRP or better. Has everything, still in business. People buy what they want and sometimes without knowledge.

I think that the bottom line (IMHO) is that people expect better from Spyderco. There's clearly a special relationship between Spyderco and Bento Box. A larger and more institutionalized company such as Benchmade would never allow a Bento Box type of outfit to be a dealer. This is like Rolex setting up a cruddy strip mall jeweler as a dealer. People will buy the knives, but Bento Box isn't doing Spyderco any favors.

How is there a special relationship? Like any other dealer BBS pays the money and gets an exclusive run made. They are allowed to price them as they see fit, and charge shipping as they see fit. Same as any other dealer.

I won't lie, I think them charging shipping is a bit excessive, and no returns... Well, that's their choice but I'm sure spyderco would warranty the knife if defective.

People have a choice to buy or not buy from BBS. I bought the black and blue pm2, but that will probably be it. Unless they do a black and blue manix 2...i may consider that...

But, free market. They're well within their right to price as they do. I don't see the problem.

Send it to Spyderco for warranty work, that's why they have a warranty

That's nice and all, but it's also nice to send it back to the dealer and get a replacement back in the mail the same day, instead of waiting a few weeks from Spyderco.

It would suck to go buy something locally and they don't take returns or exchanges and they tell you to return it to the manufacturer. What a hassle.

That's nice and all, but it's also nice to send it back to the dealer and get a replacement back in the mail the same day, instead of waiting a few weeks from Spyderco.

It would suck to go buy something locally and they don't take returns or exchanges and they tell you to return it to the manufacturer. What a hassle.
If you know about the no returns or exchanges going in then that's the risk you take. A free market works both ways, if you don't agree with their business model don't shop there. If returning a luxury item to the manufacturer is a hassle then that sounds like a first world problem. Especially something as easy to ship as a pocket knife.

If you know about the no returns or exchanges going in then that's the risk you take. A free market works both ways, if you don't agree with their business model don't shop there. If returning a luxury item to the manufacturer is a hassle then that sounds like a first world problem. Especially something as easy to ship as a pocket knife.

That's why I don't buy from them....but then again it's a personal thing and you know what they say about opinions!

I am with 91bravo 91bravo on this one. It is much easier and faster to replace an item through the dealer than send it to warranty service. Plus, things like terribly asymmetric bevels and off-centered blades may not fall into the scope of warranty.

I am with 91bravo 91bravo on this one. It is much easier and faster to replace an item through the dealer than send it to warranty service. Plus, things like terribly asymmetric bevels and off-centered blades may not fall into the scope of warranty.

While I tend to agree with 91bravo 91bravo generally on this point, you are not going to be able to return an exclusive or hard-to-find knife to a dealer and get a replacement the majority of the time, any shop that offers these exclusives, not just specifically to BBS... Especially for exclusives that sell out in a matter of minutes... Point is, for exclusives and hard-to-find items from the past, you'll have to return the knife to Spyderco to get repair/warranty work done. Now on the commonly manufactured knifes available just about anywhere, then this argument does holds true and there should be no reason not to look elsewhere other than BBS or any other shop that has the same restrictive return policies... I've ordered exclusives from BBS and have no issues doing so simply because they had what I wanted and it wasn't available elsewhere...

if You send a new knife for warranty and they have to do work to it is it still considered new or refurbished?

if You send a new knife for warranty and they have to do work to it is it still considered new or refurbished?

Once it leaves the supply chain, and gets into a consumer's hands, technically, it becomes used - that's how I understand it. Now, if you know how to covert a used item into new, I'd surely like to know!

Therefore, reconditioned, or refurbished, sound reasonable, to me. I suppose others might see things differently. Maybe they'll speak up?

Therefore, reconditioned, or refurbished, sound reasonable, to me. I suppose others might see things differently. Maybe they'll speak up?[/QUOTE]

I want my money back

I get the BB complaints. But it is worth mentioning a few points that swayed me in a more positive direction.

First, their shipping charges include priority USPS with full insurance. That is not cheap.

Second, it has been said that BB has been a major contributor to spyderco universe, and deserves credit for offering a wide selection of exclusives early on. I am not sure if this is true, because I was very late to the game. But it appears to me BB sells exclusively Spyderco.

If you have been wanting a BB PM2, just do it. It appears there are less than 100 satins left, and probably more black/blue, but once these are gone...

I get the BB complaints. But it is worth mentioning a few points that swayed me in a more positive direction.

First, their shipping charges include priority USPS with full insurance. That is not cheap.

Second, it has been said that BB has been a major contributor to spyderco universe, and deserves credit for offering a wide selection of exclusives early on. I am not sure if this is true, because I was very late to the game. But it appears to me BB sells exclusively Spyderco.

If you have been wanting a BB PM2, just do it. It appears there are less than 100 satins left, and probably more black/blue, but once these are gone...

They can easily order more.

Back