New Buck 55, I think with real walnut scales

I called Cabelas yesterday since I was going to be in the area, to see if they had the 55. The guy walked around and looked, and said no they don't carry that one. So later on, I thought I'd go in and look around, and what did I see - a shiny new 55 hanging on the peg, the last one.

Last week some of us were talking about the solid ebony scales compared to the laminated ones. I think I saw somewhere that the 55 has walnut. We know that some of the cherrywood, rosewood, etc. may be just the color of the stained dymondwood, but I think this 55 could be real walnut.

Looking at some older threads, I do see 55 examples with the horizontal lamination lines on the edge of the scales, but this one I just got is solid wood, with no glue lines. It looked a little dry, so I put some lemon furniture conditioner that I use on guitar necks on it, and it soaked in and added a nice sheen the way it does on the guitar fretboard. I don't believe it would soak into the hard finish of the laminated dymondwood handles.

Anyway, it looks like walnut to me. Wood guys, lemme know what you think. The two sides don't match, which I don't mind that since you can't see both sides at the same time. Really, the unmatched pieces are another reason I think they're real wood. I like it a lot. If anyone knows what wood is used for the 55, please let me know. Or let me know what your 55 has, and its age. Maybe someone from Buck will let us know.

JT

TdjtmUR.jpg

Ea2VjYy.jpg

Looks like Walnut to me...The blade looks like it's stonewashed also, so maybe a special run of some sort? I'm no expert though...

It is walnut, probably not diamond wood as buckshaks isnt. But u should have posted pic of the edge.

Thanks BuckShack, that's a great photo comparison to the 503. I missed your response earlier. Your 55 looks a lot like mine. You can tell they're real wood.

St8, I didn't get the edge pic, but I checked it with a magnifying glass and there are no glue lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing more walnut on the larger 112 and 110. I'm sure there are some walnut special editions.

JT

I would love to see real walnut on other knives. It a great looking wood. I don't believe even the custom shop is real walnut (correct me if I'm wrong someone). It should be.

Walnut. Just picked up my first one this week. Love it ! It was a store demo for less than half price. Wiped it down with a damp cloth and the smell of fresh cut walnut hit me. Rubbed the tarnish off with just a paper towel and, like you, oiled that dried out wood. Wish I'd discovered the 55 sooner.

20190418_134547.jpg

Did Buck discontinue these ? I'm in Canada. Seems the stores here are selling them off. Found another 2 stores with 1 left each at less than half price. May grab one more if it doesn't disrupt domestic harmony. But....I don't own a a buck stockman yet. 303 maybe ?

Like a mini 111 instead of a mini 110

Love the 55. Can't carry one due to local laws. I wish they made a slippie like my 704. Thats never out of my pocket.

Back