New Buck/Mayo TNT feedback?

Yes, search is my friend, but in this case, current field reports from owners of BU-172's would be appreciated.

With all the rage on mid-tech knives, S30V, titanium, and framelocks, much less the design from a leading custom maker, you'd think it would come in next to the 110 for number of posts. Especially price compared to the same type of construction - Sebenza, Hinderer, Strider, hundreds less.

A Paul Bos treated S30V blade in a titanium framelock can't be getting that little attention - or is there a quiet conspiracy to keep them all to the cognoscenti so the public won't know? Hmmmm?

I hear a lot about EDC, but "It's my favorite!" leaves me a little uninformed. I already know it's slim, tip down, low rider clip, and very light, all good additional features for me.

How about it guys, can you fill in some more? I'm not asking for you to baton it with a brick, just fill in some user perspective you found you like - or didn't. No harm there, one man's diss is another's affection.

And yes, I already know about irawood.:D

I love my Miracle Whip TNT 172. EDC it when I need to wear grown up clothes. This leaves it to a day or two of relatively light use at a time.

Will be taking it to the beach in the middle of the pond in a few weeks for a week. There it will join my 882SBTG as my two EDCs. The 172 will be my
"beach wear" knife due to the light weight.

Will report more post-trip.

The only thing I wish it has was a thumbstud as opposed to the hole...or both like the 882/9 knives.

I was concerned about getting it at first due to the price. But I have not regretted it since I received it.

I have alot of knives that I rotate for EDC. The TNT 172 is tops. I find the oval cut-out in the blade to be more comfortable than a OAB, since it will never hang on clothing seams. One hand to open & close. Light weight and keeps a great edge. I bought it several years ago, and no problems.

Aw, c'mon post it Mister Bill! The TNT and Kaala caught my eye as well.

I think you've got it pretty well covered already. I've had my 172 going on 2 years now and it's been one of the best, if not the best, knife buys I've made. Takes a great edge, holds it well, disappears into your pocket. It is with me constantly. What else do you want to know?

What don't I like? The little horns near the pivot. Clipped in my front pocket, those things rake my little finger every time I reach in there. And I'd rather it had phospher-bronze washers. Hmm, that's about it.

The only complaint I have is the opening hole is too close to the frame making it uncomfortable to open without changing hand positions ( Medium large hands)

Other than that it is smooth, well made, steel is heat treated very well ( Bos!), and I expect it to last a long time. It's a nice gentlemans knife too, but can EDC with the best of them. Joe

hello.

I recently got a buck/mayo TNT and i'm loving it. the blade is simply one of the best IMO and the grind is perfect. handle is comfortable and action super smooth. I also like the oval opening hole a lot. Perfect size for edc. tnt gets the most pocket time together with a small sebbie.

Only complaint. the handle has sharp edges. Do not dislike the horns as others do.

A really good choice, and a great knife. Mine is flawless, but i have to say that it has been hand picked in production by a person who works for buck.

I am really happy with it.

Pollo, no fair.

Appreciate the comments on the horns. Worst case, they can come off, that mod seems the most popular. I used to EDC a BM CQC7, and I know about sharp corners reaching into a pocket. Emerson addressed it with a melt job when he started making them again. The thumb hole is OK by me, I currently carry a blade that uses it. The position can be important, combined with the detent pressure and leverage available. I'll just have to see.

Bill, got your pm, a review would be nice when you've had a chance to go over things again.

hello.

I recently got a buck/mayo TNT and i'm loving it. the blade is simply one of the best IMO and the grind is perfect. handle is comfortable and action super smooth. I also like the oval opening hole a lot. Perfect size for edc. tnt gets the most pocket time together with a small sebbie.

Only complaint. the handle has sharp edges. Do not dislike the horns as others do.

A really good choice, and a great knife. Mine is flawless, but i have to say that it has been hand picked in production by a person who works for buck.

I am really happy with it.

Federico, I'm glad to hear it - I hope all is well my friend! Don't work too hard! - Jim

I have had two 172's. The execution is pretty good, the blade seemed hard enough to take a good edge. The only small execution issue was the use of nylon washers, which led eventually to blade play and pivot fussyness.

I didn't like the horns, nor the minimal lock access, nor the taper that made the handles slim, but uncomfortable for cutting tasks that required any downward force.

A thin carry profile is offset by not having much surface to spread the load, kinda like the Original Leatherman - the SS handle did tend to get uncomfortable fast.

Minimal lock access - well, maybe my thumb is small enough to work with it. I don't have the biggest hands, regardless of the size large gloves I wear. It's all length, no width. I get the impression from that comment Mr. Mayo had a dressier approach to his styling rather that quick access, and with the thin scales, maybe it's not specifically put up as a hard user. Ok by me, I've already got one, and I plan more for office use, if I ever get back into one.

How's the Ti for grip - anyone dropped their's frequently from too slick a surface, or do the holes do the job? I have that problem with most metal handled knives.

I just got my 6 th buck mayo tnt 172 , and I have the # rare carbon fiber and titanium tnt , these are my fav production knives by far for the money

hPgBiV0.jpg

Apparently you took Steven65's comment as a challenge to find an older thread instead of a hint to start a fresh one? :p:D

Back