• Battle Horse - Battlelore

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

K.B. Knifeworks

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey all,

Looking to add another general purpose Bushcrafter to my collection and wanting to try something a little different from the standard kephart. I am having a hard time deciding between the LT Gary Wines Bushcrafter and the Battle Horse Battlelore. Feel free to cast your vote or suggest another sub $220 knife below. I would also appreciate feedback on either knife. Thanks all!

Not familiar with the Battle Horse Battlelore at all. I like the design of the LT Wright Bushcrafter, but don't own one. Before I shifted my interest to the Kephart design this year, this was my primary woods knife profile choice and I am very comfortable with it for general purposes in the woods. It is a common shape. Fiddleback makes one which they call their Kephart but is over your budget.

If you are not settled on this blade profile, you could get the Condor Bushlore to try out and decide later if you want an upgrade.

How about a Becker BK16? Excellent all around knife for bumming around in the woods!
Great suggestion. If I got a BK16 I would have to strip the blade and add some wood or micarta scales to fit my personal/traditional taste. I know people always speak highly of Becker products.

Not familiar with the Battle Horse Battlelore at all. I like the design of the LT Wright Bushcrafter, but don't own one. Before I shifted my interest to the Kephart design this year, this was my primary woods knife profile choice and I am very comfortable with it for general purposes in the woods. It is a common shape. Fiddleback makes one which they call their Kephart but is over your budget.

If you are not settled on this blade profile, you could get the Condor Bushlore to try out and decide later if you want an upgrade.
I have a LT A2 Bushcrafter as of this week (fantastic so far) and have owned the Genesis in the past. Its primary the reason i'm not looking to add another kephart to the collection as I am very happy with the A2 bush crafter. The Gary Wines Bushcrafter has a more unique bade shape and the Bushlore is more of a woodlore pattern while both retaining somewhat of a classic appearance. Just exploring some other options outside the kephart even though it may be one of the best designs. I know fiddleback makes some fantastic stuff - but its a little more than I am trying to spend this go around.

+1 on the 16.
ezBQJxH.jpg
nnjuFsN.jpg

I beleave so and same for battle horse. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think the HT is done by another provider.
Wait - let me clarify my answer (and again someone can correct me if i'm wrong). For both LT and Battle horse all the blades are made and crafted in house but I have read the HT is done by Peters. Now if you are asking if the blade blanks are cut in-house; I have no idea? Perhaps another member knows. Regardless for LT the whole package is absolutely fantastic. And for Battlehorse I will soon find out when my Featherstick arrives on Saturday. I would assume they are very comparable as they were both the two former owners/partners of Blindhorse knives.

I have owned and used both knives. I would recommend the Battlelore based on handle ergos. The Gary Wines is a great blade, but the round broomstick handle seemed to turn in my hand unless I tightened my grip. The contoured handle of the Battlelore was much more functional and comfortable. Other than that, both blades performed very well. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have owned and used both knives. I would recommend the Battlelore based on handle ergos. The Bary Wines is a great blade, but the round broomstick handle seemed to turn in my hand unless I tightened my grip. The contoured handle of the Battlelore was much more functional and comfortable. Other than that, both blades performed very well. Just my 2 cents.
Fantastic - thanks so much for the good feedback! Seems the other perk to the battlelore is its 1/8th, so its a thinner stock.

Wait - let me clarify my answer (and again someone can correct me if i'm wrong). For both LT and Battle horse all the blades are made and crafted in house but I have read the HT is done by Peters. Now if you are asking if the blade blanks are cut in-house; I have no idea? Perhaps another member knows. Regardless for LT the whole package is absolutely fantastic. And for Battlehorse I will soon find out when my Featherstick arrives on Saturday. I would assume they are very comparable as they were both the two former owners/partners of Blindhorse knives.
The reason I asked was they use A2 which is a common BRKT steel. Also, I always thought LT Wright was a "little business" but I see so many blades that I wondered if they could be having the work done elsewhere with their name on them. I personally don't care, but some might.

I look forward to hearing how you like the new blade you ordered.

The reason I asked was they use A2 which is a common BRKT steel. Also, I always thought LT Wright was a "little business" but I see so many blades that I wondered if they could be having the work done elsewhere with their name on them. I personally don't care, but some might.

I look forward to hearing how you like the new blade you ordered.

All work done in House...:D NO out sourcing...
John

Custom knives are done in house, stock knives are cut by waterjet at another shop in OH, then LT Wright's crew does the rest in shop. They talk about it around the 5:33 mark.

Custom knives are done in house, stock knives are cut by waterjet at another shop in OH, then LT Wright's crew does the rest in shop. They talk about it around the 5:33 mark.

This is a great video and a great reason to buy from these guys. It seems Battlehorse is the same or very similar. Good honest people making a good honest product. I had though about adding Wills design (the Sospes) into the mix, but I think its just too large for me. I usualy like to stick around the sub 4.5" to 5" mark in most cases.

I chose battlelore, but the bk16 is a beast for its much lower price, giving you spending room for micarta.

If I had to pick one of the two you mentioned, I'd go LT.

Nothing wrong with Becker/Kabar and the old course an ESEE. If you like better scales, theknifeconnection has a custom handle section for some ESEE and Ontario knives.

Cold Steel Master Hunter in 3V? https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Master-Hunter-Fixed--29665

Lionsteel has some nice fixed blades too. https://www.bladehq.com/cat--LionSteel-Knives-Italy--398#/filter:blade_length:4:5

If you truly want something different, I would suggest looking in the knifemakers forum here. https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/
NOTE the following are not an endorsement of a certain maker, just a sample of a few knives.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/n690-g10-handle-multi-carry-leather-pouch-tfk-t7.1667040/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/light-weight-hunter.1667033/

Love LT's stuff. Have an early Genesis in a2 scandi, Bushbaby in 3v ffg, and Camp Muk in 3v ffg. Great knives!

Back