New Busse

Well...new to me anyway. I’m new to this forum and relatively new to Busse knives. I have been aware, and admired them for years, but this is my first purchase. It was described to me, by the seller, as a slightly used A2 SHSH2. I have tried searching the forum, but the variations, and acronyms relating to the Steel Heart are mind boggling. I am appealing to those more knowledgeable than myself to help me determine exactly what I have.

Can you tell by looking at the features what steel this knife is made from? What handle scales do I have? My uneducated guess was black canvas Micarta, raptor pattern. When was my knife likely made? The sheath came with it. I’m not sure, but it looks like a Mashed Cat to me. I paid $350.00 shipped, which I “felt” was a good price, but I did not wait long enough to research it. Did I do ok?

Sorry for the long first post. I hope I didn’t break any rules. Like I said, I’m learning the ropes.

EDIT: I’m sorry my attempt to post a picture failed. I’ll try to figure out how to get one posted.

Welcome aboard!! I'm pretty sure that you'll have to upgrade your membership to a Gold to ask those questions. :)

Hi Tim,

Pricing questions can only be asked by Gold Members or above but posting pics is easiest done using a picture hosting site. If you plan on getting into knives, I recommend a Gold Membership as it is extremely valuable for the cost of admission. By buying on the exchange, you can save significant money sometimes as well as sell any knives that don't "float your boat".

If you search "how to post pictures", you will find articles explaining the process step by step.

Welcome to the best knife forum (and subforum) on the internet!

Sounds like you stole a Straight Handled Steel Heart II in A2 steel. It probably dates from the late 1990s. They introduced INFI when they introduced the original Battle Mistress (now known as a SHBM) in 1999 and switched over existing models not too long after. Black canvas Micarta was the standard handle material. Busses came with a factory kydex sheath back then, which is probably what you have. It cost $297 new from Busse.

Last edited:
Welcome to Bladeforums, and welcome to the madness.;)

It sounds like you snagged something special there:thumbsup:.......we look forward to some pics.:)

Welcome to the forum !!!!!

Sounds like your off to a stellar start !!!!!! Great score :)

Thanks for all the replies, and the warm welcome, including the offer to post my pics. I m going to give it another try, following the instructions I found in another thread.

EDIT: That did the trick. Now I'm golden.
;)
See what I did there?

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw you paid $350 for this. I have more ASH1’s than most people have fingers. You paid a price that I do envy.

It’s INFi Steel. Not A2. That’s ok. The only thing tougher than INFI - is Chuck Norris. On a good day. See you around BF. I posted a link to Bad Mojo above.

Last edited:
I just saw you paid $350 for this. I have more ASH1’s than most people have fingers. You paid a price that I would envy. See you around BF. I posted a link to Bad Mojo above.

I had a feeling the price was a good one. That's why I didn't wait around to research the knife first. I've always wanted a Steel Heart, so I thought it was worth the risk. Thanks for the link.

How thick is that ASH 1? Lay a tape measure across the spine just above the micarta. 3/16 ish ?
That one looks exactly like mine.

Last edited:
Back