New car / automobile buying & leasing tips for CPK'ers

The sheet that I got from the fleet department at Xerox was, I assume, what Xerox would pay for a car. That was in 1988, so I don't remember the details, but it was way below the sticker price.

I never worried about what I paid for a car. Over 12 or 15 years it amounts to almost nothing. When our '88 Camry was totaled, we bought a new 2002 Camry. It was the only one left on the lot and they wanted it gone. The salesman said, "This is the price. Take it or leave it." We took it. A neighbor wanted it for her granddaughter, so we sold it to her last year.

Last edited:
....The next car I will buy/lease will be an EV (electric vehicle)....

Have you seen the Bollinger B series? Super basic, utilitarian, and awesome! No 19" tablet controlling everything, updates, blah blah blah. I am honestly pumped for it. I just hope it comes to fruition. Seems like the EV space is hard to penetrate and then delivery is even harder. Next decade looks promising, though!

Have you seen the Bollinger B series? Super basic, utilitarian, and awesome! No 19" tablet controlling everything, updates, blah blah blah. I am honestly pumped for it. I just hope it comes to fruition. Seems like the EV space is hard to penetrate and then delivery is even harder. Next decade looks promising, though!
Yes, I did looks very rugged and cool. There is also another American EV brand called Rivian, - they released cool looking EV pick-up and SUV trucks. While it is true that buying an EV is not as smooth as it could be but I am sure these wrinkles will be ironed out with time.

Last edited:
Uncle Matty, I am going to Buy a New Full sized truck this week, Gotta have 4 wheel drive, outstanding reliability, and good Re-Sale Value, what make and model should I Buy? Below are the choices

GMC Sierra SLT
Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
Toyota Tundra Platinum
Ford F-150 Lariat
Ram 1500 Laramie
Nissan SL

Last edited:
Tommy, I often use US News as my first go-to research site to see as to what the ex-purts say ;) Do not take as gospel but if you are a savvy researcher, most of their opinions and findings add up, well to me anyway!

Here's a link for your purpose:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/full-size-pickup-trucks

Personally speaking, I like the look of the Ram :thumbsup: If I was a knucklehead living in the country and wanted the full-size, I'd go with the Rebel edition but that truck model maybe a bit rougher in terms of its ride on the roads and highways. You will get 10 different opinions and none of them are absolute perfection but the resale value conscious folks will probably tell you to go with Tayotee :D However, I find the Tundra outdated, outmoded and very much due for some major redo-dos!

ETA: seems that Ford and Cheh-vee are offering some dealings this month, but please take with a big grain of salt:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals

Last edited:
The tundra has a terrible track record.
Trade in value is weak.
If you use your truck to tow/haul there are much better options.
Nismo/Nissan has had a lot of problems in the past with coolant leaks into the engine on their trucks.
Ford F-150’s don’t hold their value because there are a ton of them out there. They still get my vote because Ford was the one US auto maker that didn’t need or take bailout money during the crash.
Although the Chevy and GMC are the same vehicle, for the most part, somehow the Chevy tends to do better on trade and resale.
I like the Ram but am always remembering the rusted out wheel wells of their 1990’s models.
I know you didn’t ask me but it’s a public forum!

ETA: some of my info is probably outdated.

Last edited:
I'm partial to Toyotas, as I have owned them for most of my life and have never had any major problems with them. One of the supervisors at my work has a 2017 F150 with the eco-boost V6. He raves on that thing all the time about how nice, comfortable and powerful it is for a V6. He tows a 40 ft camper with it, with no problems at all. I almost got a F150 last time I went truck shopping, but ended up with another old faithful Yota.

Trucks are like knives, guns and watches. Some are good, some are ok and some are just better than others. What do you plan on doing with your truck? Daily or weekend driver? Towing, offroading, scenic trail riding?

Jonny, you lucked out by buying that Tacoma instead of going with a Ford F150 because the Tacoma is like money in the bank but there's a stark contrast between the mid-size Tacoma and the full-size Tundra. Toyota does ride its own coattail for a long time and the Tundra is long past due for an update!

9204EC53-1D4C-4F81-9CE0-89D83E76C8B2.jpeg 5AFCA4C8-272D-4A7E-833D-7BA24431C148.jpeg 6E0BA411-DDCE-4E8F-BA5F-6BF0152A7001.jpeg 2A393A3B-C6B4-4639-93CC-684D221162B7.jpeg View attachment 1143892 View attachment 1143894
Uncle Matty, I am going to Buy a New Full sized truck this week, Gotta have 4 wheel drive, outstanding reliability, and good Re-Sale Value, what make and model should I Buy? Below are the choices

GMC Sierra SLT
Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
Toyota Tundra Platinum
Ford F-150 Lariat
Ram 1500 Laramie
Nissan SL

I always go Toyota, no regrets ever!
Toyota’s allow me to buy other toys... I brought home a new “toy” today myself
(from Austria) ...

‘87 LandCruiser (Diesel & right hand drive)
89 LandCruiser
2012 FJ Cruiser

Thanks!
Oh what a feeling, Toyota.
4X4 Toyota Platinum in "Smoked Mesquite"
nifZQHs.jpg

Back