New car / automobile buying & leasing tips for CPK'ers

Same thing with Highlander, new one coming in December. I wanted an mdx but the wife said no.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an MDX SH-AWD today 36 months and 12000 miles per... Wasn’t even on my radar a couple of weeks ago but the huge $7525 factory to dealer incentive plus another 1000 Acura/Honda loyalty cash and then squeezing for a further 10% off from the dealer got it done. I had to walk away once but did get a call back to get my moocher ass back to sign the deal.

There were some crap such as a protection package which I let them make some $ on but that’s OK. One word of caution, use LeaseHackr as a good idea guide but don’t believe all that you read there! There seem to be some who tend to post numbers which are embellished.

Good fortunes your way when you get ready for your 2020 Highlander hybrid :)

I was able to work my “mojo” on a new used truck yesterday, locally. I love it. Traded my Toyota FJ Cruiser and got a 2017 RAM CrewCab 4x4 3500 w/Cummins Diesel & Aisin transmission, factory gooseneck option, cold package, etc...
The sales manager is also former military, so between the tips and advice here in this thread and what I know works I feel like I stole the truck!
22165 miles on the Cummins truck, new it was unobtainable for me...
3BC4319D-6AD3-458B-B3A5-9BF6353FBB49.jpeg FB632208-D061-4FDB-BB6A-75B9A02EE81D.jpeg
Being a Toyota LandCruiser guy I have noticed over the last few years the Aussie’s are liking the big RAM diesel and some consider it the new LandCruiser replacement for on the Ranch and in the Bush.
A happy man!

I was able to work my “mojo” on a new used truck yesterday, locally. I love it. Traded my Toyota FJ Cruiser and got a 2017 RAM CrewCab 4x4 3500 w/Cummins Diesel & Aisin transmission, factory gooseneck option, cold package, etc...
The sales manager is also former military, so between the tips and advice here in this thread and what I know works I feel like I stole the truck!
22165 miles on the Cummins truck, new it was unobtainable for me...
View attachment 1212996 View attachment 1212997
Being a Toyota LandCruiser guy I have noticed over the last few years the Aussie’s are liking the big RAM diesel and some consider it the new LandCruiser replacement for on the Ranch and in the Bush.
A happy man!

Very nice !! Congrats on the new ride !!!

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread as my vehicle at the moment could go any time.

I wish I could follow any of the financial stuff though. I'm not that bright.

I wish that there were more honesty on the sellers side. I'm at the disadvantage of hoping that people just won't effing rip you off as often as people say.

Oh well. Car runs and gets me to and from work for now.

Any recommendations for a reliable vehicle that could be packed up with necessary stuff to get out of town in a hurry through less easily traveled terrain?

Asking a ton I know.

Great thread.

I like the Tahoe and suburban, but a number of my friends have had issues with the transmissions, so I'm staying away from them for now.

Yeah my burb is old lol. 2003 1500 4x4 5.3 v8 just turning 180,000 I like the older stuff cause I can still wrench on it. Worst case I might have to ask a buddy ( real mechanic lol ) to help. But I also have my 2500HD :)
My friend has a newer one. So to help avoid trans issues we put a bigger trans cooler on it. Made it look factory so it blended right in :) That said you shouldn’t have to fix a brand new truck. And for what they cost now new :eek::eek:

What makes them easier than other vehicles to work on?

More room under the hood for one thing. Less complicated drivetrain and computer systems. Plenty of available parts and reasonable prices. Even when away from home I’ve never had a problem , when I need to find a part.
It’s not my old international scout 2 but it sure isn’t my old Land Rover.
Example I did my window regulator and motor. Regulator & motor $42.00 30min instal. Just replaced all my brake lines with stainless lines. $150.00 and about 5 hours, going over the tank sucks lol.
But I’m also kinda brand specific cause I’ve always been a GM muscle car / truck guy.

2007 Honda Ridgeline with 66,000 miles...and...IT'S GREEN!
I have never paid more than $5000 for a motor vehicle

Lorien, this is a median of what a rig like that has sold in the Mannheim Auctions in the U.S. Manheim Auctions in the last 90 days or so. I can get you closer and more specific data if that should matter, if I knew more of the specifics like the exact model and condition, but for this purpose I went with the most basic model (RT) and also GOOD condition. Hope that this helps:

57CD16DA-4B4E-429A-9915-F1CA3BBF39D2.png

Lorien, this is a median of what a rig like that has sold in the Mannheim Auctions in the U.S. Manheim Auctions in the last 90 days or so. I can get you closer and more specific data if that should matter, if I knew more of the specifics like the exact model and condition, but for this purpose I went with the most basic model (RT) and also GOOD condition. Hope that this helps:

View attachment 1248477
Did you take into account the green color upcharge?

Did you take into account the green color upcharge?

Yes. MMR stands for Manheim Market Report which by and large is the "insiders" market report and more accurate than any of the publicly avail appraisals you get off the Internet or Kelly Blue Book or NADA.

It adds and subtracts from the base indicator when you add the Mileage, Region, Condition and Color. A 3.5 condition rating (owned by lil ol' lady from Pasadena) is actually very good for a 2007 as most auction rigs for that MY are in the low 2's. When you get an estimated auction price you would still have to add to that the following: auction house buy fee (maybe $250 for this rig) + cost of transportation + cost of dealer reconditioning + dealer's retail profit to make it a front-line ready rig.

Back