New Cold Steel Viking Hand Axe Pics & Video

So don't hate on me too bad I am a huge Cold Steel junkie lol. I just got the new Viking Hand Axe in and I'm impressed so far. For a budgeted $35 dollar Bearded axe its not that bad. I mainly got it to mod and play around with. I wouldn't take it out and depend on it too heavily but none the less, its fun and usable as long as you keep yours demands reasonable.

[video=youtube;hnyuOgGclVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnyuOgGclVY[/video]

That's kinda sweat. I could have fun with it for an afternoon, but I don't think I would buy one.

Tom

Nice looking axe. Would like to see some action vids of it in use.
Once I put a decent edge on it I will have video up.
That's kinda sweat. I could have fun with it for an afternoon, but I don't think I would buy one.

Tom

They are pretty fun but I don't know how practical it actually will be for long term work. I could see the bottom part of the beard torquing the handle too much when in heavy use.

Being Cold Steel I thought this was targeted a cleaving zombies rather than wood :)

Is the web site a mis print? It says 17.6 oz... is that just the head weight?
Does it feel lively or bit of a boat anchor?

I'm interested in one... mainly from interest in axe combatives.

I just received mine. Head weight is 18.6 oz. For comparison the Cold Steel Spike Hawk is 15 oz (head only), so it is pretty light.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/11...erall-length-1055-carbon-blade-hickory-handle

They said it was backordered until 5/5 and I received it on 5/4, but now they say backordered until 5/20. $36 and free shipping.

The fitting of the head to the handle is pathetic, and they gouged the handle in a few places sliding the head on. Wobbly and loose, held on only by the set screw, but that's fixable.

Sounds like a cool 2 handed zombie slayer at that weight with a 30" handle!

According to some owner/reviewers this one needs a little DIY work to make it more serviceable. Another fun, cool zombie killer with an awesome price.

Sounds fairly typical for what CS typically offers. A great starting point, but with minimal effort it can be made into a good looking, serviceable tool. Or Zombie Chopper, if you've got any of them about.

yes, that is exactly what it is. a good axe ready for mods, not ready to use. like most of their tomahawk line you might want to reconsider if you want an axe that is ready for the woods straight out of the box, but if you are like me (and many others) and want it for the project go ahead and get it

I have been trying to a mod for a Cold Steel Viking Axe but I am having a problem. the handle dimeter is too small,
I can hold the ax by the head and point the handle at the sky and see daylight on most all sides of the handle. when I take the set screw off the ax
the ax head slides off the top of the handle. I have sent two back for this reason, and even switched models hoping that I would get a decent product to start with
( no luck) my new ax arrived today with the same problem.
Any suggestions on a fix??
1. making a new handle from scratch would be more than i want to do.
2. it is unlikely that I can find a replacement close enough to fit at the local hard ware store
3.I could try to heat the head and expand the opening for the handle but I don't have a forge or the equipment
(Q...?) would it be possible to shim something into the area between the head of the ax and the handle ??
.........................................any thoughts on this are welcome

Any suggestions on a fix??

Most Cold Steel hawks and axes are slip fit. Not trying to be patronizing, but if the axe is slipping off the top, then is the swell on the wrong end? Drop the skinny end through the eye, the swell catches and holds it in place. If the handle is running completely through the eye uninterrupted then it's not going to work at all, there is no shim that's going to stand up to use/throwing for long enough to make it worth doing. Cold Steel get occasional wild jags in QC, and a batch of crap handles could have come through.

There are no off-the-shelf handles that will work, cutting down a regular axe haft or wheelbarrow handle would save time but still be a bit of a project. If I wanted to fix it with the least elbow grease, I would order a Cold Steel Warhammer replacement handle (they are thicker and longer) and lightly sand the wood that contacts the head until the fit is nice. This may mean cutting a bit of the swell to move the head higher up onto the thicker wood, but it will get a better fit. Once it's fitting nice, smear it with silicon caulk, fix the head on something that won't move (I use a vice), and set the handle with a couple sharp mallet hits. Throw the set screw away, all they do is rip up the wood and shorten the life of the handle.

thank you for the idea, I will give it a try,
I was thinking of wrapping the top of the handle with a polyester thread then stetting the head with the thread filling in the open space

Most Cold Steel hawks and axes are slip fit- ( yes I am aware of this. and it comes like this from the seller, I have yet to remove the head, but still see daylight through the fit )

Back