New Collaboration with JK Knives

I'm late to the party but I wish this joint venture all the success life has to offer!
Kudos to you for having a dream and following it thru.
However, I do have one observation, black micarta? I KNOW you dearly love orange.

Also,good luck with the collaboration, I admire those who actively pursue an idea and bring it to fruition ( wanted to use some bigger words now that I am "edumacated" ) . Instead of orange, I would love to see some tangerine or ruby red canvas micarta slabs. :p

Last edited:
I really need to see how well some natural canvas micarta would take to a dye. May be an inexpensive alternative. More of a modification than fabrication type of skill but I've been pretty surprised on how well some of the G10 I've dyed has kept it's color. Makes me think dying some of the lighter woods could be interesting. I'll write that down into my book of ideas and come back to it when I have some waste materials to try it out on.

We know that John is allergic to G10, so dying micarta or woods looks like a nest thing to try. Tan, grey or natural canvas micarta sounds like a good choice....and I think people do like the classic black. I like a tan almost desert tan micarta.

Okay ladies and gents, with Veteran's Day only an hour away, I think it's as good a time as any to announce that 10% of my profits from all of my knife sales from my collaboration with John, will be donated to the Mighty Oaks Foundation.

After talking with some family and friends, including several with military backgrounds, the organization seems to be a good example of a non-profit that is using their resources responsibly and for causes that I greatly support, Veterans and mental illness (Mighty Oaks is especially focused on PTSD and suicide prevention).

Thank you to all who have served, are serving, or plan to serve in the armed forces. We could not enjoy our freedoms without you.

Last edited:
I did some quick sketching of the super sloyd/French Trade knife, favoring the French trade design more than before. I brought the blade back to 5.5" so it's now symmetrical with a 5.5" handle, aimed directly at my big handed bretheren. Based on some rough carving models of the handle shape, it's going to feel big for anyone with a hand below a large size glove. After that, it should tolerate large sized hands pretty well in a more forward grip and broadens well in the more rearward grip to work for XL and XXL hands. There could be some easy adjustment in custom orders to size down the scale thickness to fit smaller hands, or for personal preference. The handle thickness is currently designed to about 7/8".

xPWnNagl.jpg

I did some quick sketching of the super sloyd/French Trade knife, favoring the French trade design more than before. I brought the blade back to 5.5" so it's now symmetrical with a 5.5" handle, aimed directly at my big handed bretheren. Based on some rough carving models of the handle shape, it's going to feel big for anyone with a hand below a large size glove. After that, it should tolerate large sized hands pretty well in a more forward grip and broadens well in the more rearward grip to work for XL and XXL hands. There could be some easy adjustment in custom orders to size down the scale thickness to fit smaller hands, or for personal preference. The handle thickness is currently designed to about 7/8".

Interesting sketch, I still prefer a spear point and I realize the sketch is for a handle for larger hands. I like how the ball sort of flows into the handle where it would be more comfortable as opposed to being a part just added to the end.

Last edited:
Interesting sketch, I still prefer a spear point and I realize the sketch is for a handle for larger hands. I like how the ball sort of flows into the handle where it would be more comfortable as opposed to being a part just added to the end.

Completely understand. I was thinking this could be a neat design to adjust later on to allow for wood handles (now knowing 5.5" is too long) and seeing if there's a way to have them engraved with something on the ball, like a flower, checkering, or some other aesthetic touch. I know a guy that can do some really neat stuff with scrimshaw and engraving, but it may be cost-prohibitive. Might be a limited release of thing.

Just spit balling ideas on that part for now while we work through some of the other design ideas and start getting ready for products and services to offer. My biggest goal on the above design is getting something for guys with big hands, to kind of focus on a fairly niche group of knife users. Honestly, for the people with smaller hands, the mud turtle is a fantastic knife/platform to make some adjustments to if you want a different blade shape. Given, there are some aesthetic cues the above design takes that are different, but I think the overall character is pretty similar. I know I'm looking forward to getting a mud turtle for personal use next year.

As an aside, I'm also looking at taking the above design out to a 7-8" blade. I have a few production knives I'm testing out that are similar, the BK5 and buck moose skinner. The overall character being something really long, but still good at slicing. However, I don't think either were super popular so I have to think through that more and if it is actually desirable to others or just something I want to design for myself for the sake of something different.

Edit to add: that sketch is on a piece of basswood so I can cut out a life size model to play with. I have 2 handle slabs ready to cut and shape as well. Should be a good way to put hands on something tactile without needing John to make it for me, along with the cost of materials.

Last edited:
bikerector bikerector , thanks for your thoughts and ideas, cool how this is coming along. I am still looking into the French knife with a 4.5 to 5 inch blade and John had mentioned the Tool as the blade template for what I am thinking. I do not know enough about the Mud Turtle, but that will remedied with research. I also liked the BK 5, but thought the blade was too long for practical use unless as a kitchen butcher, I had liked the smaller tween-er version of it. I have enjoyed the thought process of these ideas and say again it cool to see ideas come to fruition. I see where you do carve out some samples.

bikerector bikerector , thanks for your thoughts and ideas, cool how this is coming along. I am still looking into the French knife with a 4.5 to 5 inch blade and John had mentioned the Tool as the blade template for what I am thinking. I do not know enough about the Mud Turtle, but that will remedied with research. I also liked the BK 5, but thought the blade was too long for practical use unless as a kitchen butcher, I had liked the smaller tween-er version of it. I have enjoyed the thought process of these ideas and say again it cool to see ideas come to fruition. I see where you do carve out some samples.

I'm really interested in seeing how this prototyping method works out. I found a supplier for pre-sized basswood in planks in basically the same width and thickness as bar stock and micarta sheets, so I can make things out of the wood in nearly the same sizes that John works with for the knives. The above is a 1.5" x 1/8" piece and the handles are from a 1.5" x 3/8" piece. I get to fairly closely mimic the raw components John uses. I probably won't look into fasteners in place of pins, but I've considered it. For now, I plan to use tape for temporary adhesion and wood glue for a more permanent adhesion.

The Frenchie will be the first model I make using this method.

Last edited:
Well folks, the prototype are boxed up and ready to head out to the 1st people on the pass around/trial. I'll be emailing tracking to the appropriate people when I have that. I'm very interested to hear what you have to say, both good and not good. I think posting that info here or PM/emailing me would be a good way to share your thoughts.

Well folks, the prototype are boxed up and ready to head out to the 1st people on the pass around/trial. I'll be emailing tracking to the appropriate people when I have that. I'm very interested to hear what you have to say, both good and not good. I think posting that info here or PM/emailing me would be a good way to share your thoughts.
Wait a sec pass around of proto types. Are we talking about the sick nasty here

Wait a sec pass around of proto types. Are we talking about the sick nasty here

I'll just go ahead and put you down for that one ;). But yes, I'm passing around all of the prototypes, including the sick nasty. I originally worked that through the Pay It Forward thread, which I was quite active in before it was closed recently. Basically, there were a handful of guys there I got along with well and I asked if some would be willing to test and give me feedback. Given the list I had and the short turnaround for getting these ready for sale in January/February, I figured I would have enough feedback for adjustments.

However, giving them a try is also a plus of the passaround with the hopes of it leading to some sales eventually... might be a standard practice for me for all of my knives. A small hint for @woodysone about a secret service offering in the future.

Shoot me a PM or email me at and I can fill you in on timing and everything. I think you would be getting the sick nasty, or others, around mid-December as the current schedule stands.

Last edited:
Baryonyx Sharpening gear have arrived. Extra course manticore and course American mutt benchstones to get at chips, dents, or re-profiles. Course bull thistle and fine arctic fox scythe stones for varied used, but especially curvier blades and recurves. Arctic fox dual-grit med/fine field stone for general work. And a rust eraser for polishing up your blade.

Not shown are diamond DMT stones I already have, a course, fine and extra fine and a dual-sided paddle strop. Also have a buck edgetek ultrasteel for those really tight bend or as another option; this has been one of my most used sharpeners on my personal stuff.

85Ye71zl.jpg

Suffice to say, I should be well equipped to handle any work you may freehand now. I have a guided system on the way to start getting practice on those polished edges. I'll have to get some re-profiling in on some knives I'm less fond of to get used to the new stones, been a while since I've used something other than a diamond stone or rod. I also plan to get a work station built in my basement to make sure I'm easily equipped to do great work on any service needs you may have for your edges.

Can you tell me about the sharpening service?

Free sharpening on all of my knives, and really I'll do John's too. I know most people buying John's knives probably know how to sharpen pretty well, but since he makes working knives for working people I thought it would be a good idea to make sure those knives keep working by helping customers to keep them sharp. Let's be honest, I'm taking this principle from some of the big knife manufacturers with a similar mentality that keeping their knives working is best for their customers.

As far as cost, you cover shipping to me and I cover the rest. For now, I'm free-handing it but I am going to try a few guided sharpening solutions to speed up the process and build in more consistency if the demand for the service picks up.

Been reading through this in my limited free time I’ve had recently, and this is very cool and happy to see if coming to!
They are very interesting and cool designs; honestly I have no need for the sick nasty but it intrigues me more than I thought it would. The Osage handles also look great and really catch my eye on the other two, Plus they should age well with the knives. And it has me pumped to see my straight back E01 with Osage handles.

Also I just got one of the arctic fox pucks for my axe not that long ago, and I gotta say it’s one of the best Wet stones for field touch ups and even re-profiling/re sharpening that I’ve ever used for my axe!

Been reading through this in my limited free time I’ve had recently, and this is very cool and happy to see if coming to!
They are very interesting and cool designs; honestly I have no need for the sick nasty but it intrigues me more than I thought it would. The Osage handles also look great and really catch my eye on the other two, Plus they should age well with the knives. And it has me pumped to see my straight back E01 with Osage handles.

Also I just got one of the arctic fox pucks for my axe not that long ago, and I gotta say it’s one of the best Wet stones for field touch ups and even re-profiling/re sharpening that I’ve ever used for my axe!

I really debated getting the axe puck, but decided to stick with the field stone. I do have the American mutt puck, which is a pretty aggressive stone once you start really pushing with it. It's almost too fast for soft machetes as it can be tricky to get a finished, usable edge. It's so quick at taking dents and nicks out though, that I still like it. I'm still working out some of the take-along sharpening systems. I think I may just end up with a full-size strop eventually. It takes up more room but it's a lot lighter than a stone. I suppose you could slap some sand paper on it to use as a sharpening surface too.

And thank you for the comments on the designs. I'm really aiming at something a little different than what's available but far from looking like a Klingon weapon.

After the first batch of each knife is run in January/February, I will be announcing something that I think will entice people that are in your situation. Interested but not sure if they want to buy it. It may not lead to a sale but it should let you know if it's for you or not. John and I are going to be partnering on that service as well, with me facilitating all of it. I really think it's going to add value to our little piece of the knife world and allow our customers a more in depth experience with the knives before purchase.

Two of the knives arrived safely in the desert. It will be a couple days before I get to really use them but first impressions are good.

I really debated getting the axe puck, but decided to stick with the field stone. I do have the American mutt puck, which is a pretty aggressive stone once you start really pushing with it. It's almost too fast for soft machetes as it can be tricky to get a finished, usable edge. It's so quick at taking dents and nicks out though, that I still like it. I'm still working out some of the take-along sharpening systems. I think I may just end up with a full-size strop eventually. It takes up more room but it's a lot lighter than a stone. I suppose you could slap some sand paper on it to use as a sharpening surface too.

And thank you for the comments on the designs. I'm really aiming at something a little different than what's available but far from looking like a Klingon weapon.

After the first batch of each knife is run in January/February, I will be announcing something that I think will entice people that are in your situation. Interested but not sure if they want to buy it. It may not lead to a sale but it should let you know if it's for you or not. John and I are going to be partnering on that service as well, with me facilitating all of it. I really think it's going to add value to our little piece of the knife world and allow our customers a more in depth experience with the knives before purchase.
LETS GET IT ONNNNNNNN! I told my mother in law about this knife and the background, showed her pics and all that. Mainly cause she was gonna be getting the mail. So I come home and the knife is outta it's packaging in just the plastic bag you put it in and she's ready to use it to make lunch.....wtf.....b4 I even seen it. She said "ever since you showed me the pics I wanted to use it in the kitchen". Lol So it will definitely see kitchen duty lol. It hasn't been used but it feels great and looks awesome.......my son loves it too..... He wanted his 2 new hotwheels I brought home in the pic. (Adam west west bat mobile and custom Chevy)
IMG_20191116_162423.jpg
IMG_20191116_162503.jpg

Back