New Collaboration with JK Knives

I'm going to tell you exactly what I told rector in a pm. It was absolutely my pleasure. I'm not that old but I've used my fair share of knives and only a handful I can say I really enjoyed using and this is one of them hands down.
I love John's knives only ones I trust

Got a lot of work doen one the Frenchie/large sloyd design. Took some bad video of what it looks like in hand with a few different hand positions. I'm going to let some people with bigger hands handle it a little and get some input there.

Side note, I didn't do a good job gluing the pieces together. Which is why there are gaps. The hot glue setup before I could get things pressed flat so I made up for it with extra sanding.

https://imgur.com/a/13kEVZQ

Alright guys, I think I have a brand/business name figured out. I'll talk with John about the best way to get that posted along with using that thread for a landing page of what's available for sale when the time comes, and dropping in some business info in there so you know a little of the back story on the how's and why's for John's and my partnership.

Hmmm...

ct2Dko5l.jpg

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw this out here as well since John has been fielding this question a little more frequently with the announcements of our collaboration and my official business sticky thread going up.

John is still making his own stuff, taking orders, and doing the same thing he's been doing. We are being realistic on how much of his shop time I can occupy so I can focus on designs and creating some cool stuff and not create huge inventories of things right off the bat. I really think it's set up to be a win-win with a lot of opportunity to scale things up if sales are far better than we anticipate.

We have planned things out to keep us both busy through the 1st half of 2020, continually reassessing as we go to make sure John has capacity to do his orders and mine, without overwhelming either of us financially or time-wise.

It's really going to be a cool year for the both of us, in my opinion, so buckle your seat belts and enjoy the ride :D

Last edited:
Just made a nice investment this morning that I'm really excited about. It will effectively get one of the services I'm most excited about up and running, and with even more effectiveness, a month earlier than planned. I will be offering the service in January instead of February, but I may even have it setup by mid to late December.

I plan to get some of the planning for the operations of the service figured out during some time off over the holidays in December, otherwise I should have the equipment in hand by the end of next week. With things progressing faster than anticipated with some dumb luck, I should be able to announce the service, the ins-and-outs, and some of the thoughts behind it in a several weeks.

Very exciting stuff.

Just made a nice investment this morning that I'm really excited about. It will effectively get one of the services I'm most excited about up and running... so buckle your seat belts and enjoy the ride" Very exciting stuff.

Bikerector UBER? :confused:

:) You are such a tease ;)

Ray

Bikerector UBER? :confused:

:) You are such a tease ;)

Ray

Hmm... I think I can draw a parallel of the service to UBER, but that would give away too much information. I can't spill the beans before I'm within reason to offering the service. Can't get you all too excited too far in advance and risk you forgetting how awesome John and I are when we finally get the service rolling :p. In the long run, I really think it could really save people some money... or convince you to spend more because you like things so much.

":) You are such a tease ;)"

I aim to please :D

I think one of these will be part of the next round of prototypes around March of next year. Looking to make a companion sized knife along with a bigger knife with an over-sized handle that I've been talking a lot about. As long as I have that handle dialed in by then.

It's hard to see in the sketches but the blade has a very slight forward lean. The handle is a slightly contoured broomstick/Kephart-inspired handle shape. These two were designed around using the same materials as the prior two models (pocket woodcrafter and sick nasty) to help keep costs down and John's inventory light.

You're looking at about a 4 1/4" long handle with a 3.5" blade. 3/32" O1 steel. Handle thickness will be about like John's element series.

pSu41eQl.jpg

So, do you like the clip point or the trailing point more? Both are rocking saber grinds. There is potential for a scandivex grind on the trailing point.

Just a helpful thought, get yourself a set of 'french curve' templates from hobby lobby, makes it so much easier to draw pattern shapes & get outlines to flow together. Nice work.

I've never heard of them, they look very helpful. I've been using a mix of a series of points, eyeballing it and then measuring a series of points for variations in distance between points, along with a compass or protractor. The French curve stencils look a lot more efficient, especially when trying to replicate or make small adjustments.

Thanks for the tip.

I think one of these will be part of the next round of prototypes around March of next year. Looking to make a companion sized knife along with a bigger knife with an over-sized handle that I've been talking a lot about. As long as I have that handle dialed in by then.

It's hard to see in the sketches but the blade has a very slight forward lean. The handle is a slightly contoured broomstick/Kephart-inspired handle shape. These two were designed around using the same materials as the prior two models (pocket woodcrafter and sick nasty) to help keep costs down and John's inventory light.

You're looking at about a 4 1/4" long handle with a 3.5" blade. 3/32" O1 steel. Handle thickness will be about like John's element series.

pSu41eQl.jpg

So, do you like the clip point or the trailing point more? Both are rocking saber grinds. There is potential for a scandivex grind on the trailing point.
The tip on the top one looks like it could be prone to breaking if abused.

The tip on the top one looks like it could be prone to breaking if abused.

Definitely a fine tipped design that shouldn't be abused. I tried looking at a few clipped hunting knives I have as a guiding post, like a buck 119, 110, and a case mid hunter that are known for fine tips, and I think this would be similar in regard to the ability to tolerate abuse.

I do like my 119 and my 10 or 12 110’s! I have run across quite a few 110’s with broken tips, I buy them for a few dollars and regrind them.

I think we'll need to discuss that one further, because I really like the design and there are so few clip points without swedges. I don't care for swedges when it comes to using them for carving, but I like the fine tips for carving. I'm kind of hoping the O1 helps add some resiliency there as well as I've had really good experiences with my 119 in 5160 steel.

.......I'm kind of hoping the O1 helps add some resiliency there as well as I've had really good experiences with my 119 in 5160 steel.

Two things. First, did I miss something about 01 added to someone's line up? (Edit: Now that I read some more, you were just talking about John's 01, I thought maybe Buck was adding 01 to their line.) Secondly, can you tell me about your experiences using your 119 in 5160, mostly about the steel? I finally got a Buck 117 from C&C in 5160 in dymondwood, and I like the overall size of it and feel in the hand so I wanted some others' opinions of 5160 and whatever models they have.

Last edited:
Back