New Collaboration with KnifeResearch

D2 and Sleipner are somewhat similar because they are in the same cathegory of semi-inox steels, however....

the chemical compositions are quite different, and this is reflected in a very different response in terms of performance.

D2 chemical composition:C=1.55%, Mn=0.3%, Si=0.3%, Cr=12%, Mo=1%, Va=1% Ni=0.3%

Sleipner chemical composition: C=0.9% Si=0.9% Mn=0.5% Cr=7.8% Mo=2.5% V=0.5%

D2 has more Chromium, it reduces a lot the resilience of this steel (thoughness) making it just a bit thougher than inox steels. it's about 30J/cm^2 at an hardness of about 60 hrc.

Sleipner instead at the same hardness has a resilience superior than the one of A2 tool steel, it means about 60 or more J/cm^2 so the resilience is the double.

D2 has more carbon and chromium, this gives D2 an higher abrasive wear, which translates in a steel hard to sharpen. field tests prove it.

Sleipner is easier to sharpen A LOT.

the corrosion resistence is pratically the same, in my direct experience Sleipner proved a bit more corrosion resistent in humid conditions and sea water than D2.

edge holding: Sleipner wins, for sure.

maximum sharpness achievable Sleipner due to a finer grain structure.

in the particular case of Kniferesearch the heat-treats will be done maniacally, so you can stay sure the steel will revail all it's potentials ;)

in conclusions... I've tested both, liked sleipner more, that's it.

I repeat, I have no interest and have no direct connections to kniferesearch, but I'm a collector who loves to use his blades and I've just given my experience, impressions and knowledge to you.

hope this helps. ;)

Thank you for the explanation

How would you compare Sleipner to Viking?

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=Viking,Sleipner

I'm glad someone is getting a reply. I've tried twice in the last week and no one has bothered to get back to me. The knife I want has a special price of 150 euros, but will go up the end of this month. I will be pi__ed off if I don't get in on the special price.

if you want I can contact directly the webmaster of kniferesearch and ask him to put you in the preorder list, so you'll pay less.

send me a PM with your second name if you want and I'll tell the kniferesearch webmaster:

"reserve a knife with preorder price for Mr. XXXXXX please" and even if he can't reply you until the end of december, your Legion will have the preorder price ;)

What about the other steel Lion steel has used for knives

Calmax and K360

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/st...sleipner, viking&el=C,Cr,Co,Mn,Mo,Si,W,V&gm=0

Have you heard of Vanax75?

I've never used Chipper (viking)directly. from what I've been told from some very expert guys, Chipper (viking) has performances extremely close to INFI once it's correctly heat treated ;)

sleipner is quite different. it's a bit less tough, but the more carbon gives a better edge retention. similar stain resistence and similar ease of sharpening, probably sleipner is just a bit harder, due to the slightly higher wear resistence.

Calmax is a great steel. extremely though, I mean really extremely. it's good in a good range of hardnesses, from 58 to 61 hrc, has a good edge holding (not as good as sleipner but good) and it's EXTREMELY easy to sharpen. it cuts very well. stain resistence is high, almost like sleipner, maybe just a little bit less. anyway, a great steel for fixed blades who must resist a lot of abuses.

K360... good question. it's a great steel, ESR technology, hard to sharpen, nothing impossible but don't espect it to be able to grind metal easily. it's not as though as calmax or chipper viking but once it's sharpened, it stays sharp for LOOOOOOONG time. stain resistence slightly better than sleipner and all the other steels mentioned before. it's a very expensive steel, hard to work and it's not sold in usable sizes...

vanax75... nitrogen based steel... interesting steel but I have not enough informations about it. I know it but never knew anyone who used or tested it personally so I can't give an opinion exept that I'm curious about this steel too! :D

anyway, this thread is about Kniferesearch, I don't want to send this thread off topic.

for further steels questions, send me PMs and I'll be more than happy to help you as much as I can.

so, going back to the thread topic, Sleipner was chosen as steel for this project, the Legion, because it's the more appropriate steel for it.

a good thing about molletta (the designer) and the kniferesearch owner is that they'll always make the best possible to get the maximum performance out of any knife they project...

they'll study the design and the steel will be chosen ans specifically heat threated to get the best balance out of it FOR THE KNIFE SPECIFIC DESTINATION OF USE.

so the philosophy is "the right tool for the right job". they'll never use steel hard to sharpen on a 10 inch blade and will never use a steel with bad edge holding on a knife designed to be a cutter.

even if they would use the same steel for 2 different knives, the heat treats will be different, to improve some specific characteristics of the steel, for example in a small knife edge holding and stain resistence or in a big knife the thoughness.

this is something very few people on the planet does.

there are several companies who use the same steel for all theyr blades.

this is not the best because a huge knife and a small knife will need different steel characteristics.

there are great companies like Busse who use premium steel on all of their knives, there are also companies who use the same crap steel on all of their knives, no matter the designs, the destination of use, the weight, the lenght etc....

for the best performance in kniferesearch the steel is chosen and studied to be the best for that specific purpose. ;)

Last edited:
Looks like good stuff going on in Maniago right now.

It is actually quite interesting.
The only thing holding me back right know is weight. For that size I would have expected it to be more like 300 grams. Also I would fear it to be too neutral balance for my liking.

That said great to see people experience with some "new" steels; way to go Lion steel and Kniferesearch.

Since you're at Uddeholm steels, would also be great to see Vanadis4 knives.

The only thing holding me back right know is weight. For that size I would have expected it to be more like 300 grams. Also I would fear it to be too neutral balance for my liking.

That said great to see people experience with some "new" steels; way to go Lion steel and Kniferesearch.

uddeholm are just easy to get and great quality, but nobody will stop to uddeholm steels :D

it's not a lightweight knife, I see this knife much like an ATAK or something like that, something useful in a great variety of situations.

to cut in first place, ti digg, to pry, to chop, to cook....... any task.

a lighter weight would have meant a thinner blade. this would have compromised the overall functionality of the knife, since the prying ability would have been reduced. chopping performance would have gotten worse.

in some cases it's better to have a knife just a little bit heavier ;) don't forget that it's a knife of 7 inch long blade.

I would have preferred a knife thicker and heavier :D I use knives more for tests and for fun, not in excursion, so to me a bit of weight in more doesn't mean nothing.

but... the blade has been studied to be used, to be REALLY used, so the weight has been contained to make real users happier with a knife easier to carry due to the reduced weight (you should be happy with it for example) :thumbup:

anyway, the balance point depends on the blade version. the CC version has the balance point about at the guard and the SC version has a balance point about 1 cm closer to the point.

I've had the luck to touch and use some blades from the same designer of the Legion and the balance was extremely good. it's not an exageration if I say that I've never handled industrial knives more balanced in my hands.

I think from my words it's easy to understand that I'm extremely excited and that I can't wait to have my Legion!

btw, I chooose the SC version, black handle, convex edge, black sheat, satin finish ;)

if you want I can contact directly the webmaster of kniferesearch and ask him to put you in the preorder list, so you'll pay less.

send me a PM with your second name if you want and I'll tell the kniferesearch webmaster:

"reserve a knife with preorder price for Mr. XXXXXX please" and even if he can't reply you until the end of december, your Legion will have the preorder price ;)

I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for helping a fellow forum member out.

Does anyone know if there are issues with kniferesearch website. I made a account, and put in my order and my USA address, but apparently there is a glitch with the shipping choice that will not let me go past the shipping part and complete the order. am i the only one with that issue???

You're not the only one.

Read previous posts. ;)

The website is very fresh, there are still things to fix.

Knives are not finished yet anyway, in fact the price you see is low because it's a preorder, so don't expect to have the knives shipped before mid of genuary.

As soon as knives will be finished they'll be sent;)

Anyway, I'll give you the same advice I gave to others. Contact him directly going to the inquiry page or write me a PM with your surname and I'll put you in the preorder list.

Hear you soon!:thumbup:

From what I've heard from Fredrik Haakonsen who makes knives from Vanadis-4 extra, the equipment necessary to give vanadis-4 the ideal heat threat is a very big investment. Fedrik being an metallurgist at sintef has access to the equipment. So I think we wont see many knives in vanadis-4 extra.

This thread is about Kniferesearch so I don't want to go more off-topic.
But I'm glad kniferesearch is one of the few companies dedicated to search new steel in order to make the best knives

Thank you very much istarr88 for the great info :thumbup:

Do you know Templar?
http://corse76.altervista.org/col.php

not directly but yes, I've wrote with him a few times.

he is a great guy, very skilled abuot metallurgy.

about Vanadis 4 extra.... if it was a particulary interesting steel to use for knives, be sure molletta or Templar would have talked about the possibility of making a knife out of it. since they never talked about using Vanadis 4 extra, I'm sure it may be a good steel but not as good as others.

BY THE WAY, HAS EVERYBODY RECIEVED REPLY FROM KNIFERESEARCH?

I've talked to the webmaster and tried to put you in coontact with him. he shoud have replied to every person interested, if that's not the case, just send me a PM and I'll remember him again to answer your questions ;)

Last edited:
Here are the first pics of the blades, just laser cut.
In a few days other pics of the production.

297_1.jpg

298_1.jpg

Back