New Collaboration with KnifeResearch

Now I've got a bill from FEDEX for duty taxes on a knife I haven't received yet. What is going on with these knifes? I've ordered this knife on Janury 4th and was told they would be delivered in January or March; it is now May and I haven't got anything yet. I'm not going to pay a duty tax bill on something that I have not received yet and I would just like to know what the problem is. I've tried to be patient but this is becoming an annoyance. Would someone let me know when I'm going to receive my knife or just refund my money. LionSteel can take care of the FEDEX bill.

Now I've got a bill from FEDEX for duty taxes on a knife I haven't received yet.
Don't know how it works in the US and about your particular subject but generally here is how it works:
Fedex won't deliver the knife unless you pay them first and if you fail to pay in some time (generally two weeks), they'll send it back to sender. And it's likely Lionsteel doesn't bear any responsibility in this.
Don't mean to justify it, or it's fair or anything but it is how it works.

By the way, when it comes to international shipping special transporters like UPS/FEDEX and al are generally a PIA: you'll get almost always additional taxes to pay, to which they'll add their own (undeserved) cut plus various expanses. To be honest I think you're much better with regular postal service (although they are slower in theory and you don't get fancy tracking systems, they generally end being a lot less annoyance and I've never had any problem with them)

And about delay, yes it comes late so it is wrong. Arguably there's a difference between buying an already produced knife from shelves and investing in a knife that doesn't exist yet. That's why you got a discount. Personnally I've had knives that came years behind schedule so I could live with a few weeks or even months late. Again not saying it makes it right but when you often buy custom/semi-custom knives, at some point you get used to it.

Last edited:
The reason we have received bills from FedEx is that the knives were actually delivered to them for shipment (mine around April 1st) but for some reason FedEx returned them to Knife Research. I called FedEx to verify this because I actually received an email from FedEx stating that the knife had been delivered to me (on April 4th, it hadn't). I don't know that FedEx knew they were knives. All they could tell me is that there was probably a paperwork error. They did say that we were on the hook for the bill and that we should not be re-charged once the packages are successfully shipped. I'm just not sure why it would take over a month for the shipping to get squared away since the knives are already built and packaged with a "dry" delivery run. A week ago, Knife Research said they should have it squared away in a week. So hopefully we will hear something this week. I'm guessing that the issues are because Knife Research is a new company and learning the business end of things as they go. I would appreciate a bit more responsiveness though. I have no problem waiting if I know what's going on. Mike

Has anybody paid the bill for FedEX (duty tax)? I'm holding off until I hear something form Knife Research. I figure it it don't work out then they can just refund my money.

Kniferesearch is a new company. They have the knowledge to build good knives but they are learning all the problems that you can have when you work and delivery worldwide.
I am going to contact them in order to understand which is the problem and give them my help.

I contacted FED EX and they dropped the duty tax charges because I haven't received the knife. I don't think I want to deal with this company anymore. Who do I need to contact to get a refund?

GianniLion, thank you for the help. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it. Mike

I contacted FED EX and they dropped the duty tax charges because I haven't received the knife. I don't think I want to deal with this company anymore. Who do I need to contact to get a refund?

You are right... there were some problems.
They sent the knives with a forwarding agent that do not work directly with US but he gave the knife to FedEx, so KnifeResearch do not have any direct contact with FedEx.

After this problem, KnifeResearch has changed the forwarding agent, they have a new contract with a new company.
Now everything should be ok, no any more problems. (... quite impossible with international delivery, something could always happen).

What you can do now...
1) have the money back
2) ask them to resend the knife.

I suggest you the second one, it is a great knife. I am sure that at the end you will be happy.

In any case do not worry, you are not alone, KnifeResearch is a young, small but serious company.

Tommy (owner of Kniferesearch) is sending knives returned back with a new currier.

In case someone is wondering, I've received mine (in Europe) for about three weeks, so it is really a shipping problem.

Last edited:
6 packs I've just delivered to the carrier. There are only 2 that have yet to return since there are shipped.
every other day should be enabled on the site of the courier and I also have the tracking number.
we hope to succeed this time :thumbup:

I like Lionsteel knives and Molletta designs, I'm thinking about buying Legion knife, but : Why are EU prices for legion higher than US ones?
I've bought SR-1 aluminium locally just couple of days ago and price was pretty close or same as Gianni told in next thread here.

I like Lionsteel knives and Molletta designs, I'm thinking about buying Legion knife, but : Why are EU prices for legion higher than US ones?
I've bought SR-1 aluminium locally just couple of days ago and price was pretty close or same as Gianni told in next thread here.

three letters: VAT ;)

Back