New Council Hudson Bay Just Dropped

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
I've known this was in the works for a while but Council finally updated their Hudson Bay axes to a new head style similar to the old L.L. Bean/Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay "Cruiser" hatchets, and not only does it have a taller eye, but they've hardened the poll as well. Still has a good splitting geometry to it, and a standard boy's axe eye. I don't have my hands on them yet but I'm excited to see 'em in person. This should fix the flaws of most Hudson Bay axes on the market at present.

239262911_6528070023877649_4556730339130304337_n.jpg

240621318_6528090273875624_5736426891439673058_n.jpg

my biggest issue with the Hudson Bay type axes has been the short eye. Just never seemed sturdy to me, though I'm sure they're sturdy enough considering how popular they seem to be. Glad to see that's been changed here!

Wow. I love that profile.

Do you think they learned some lessons from the Flying Fox success? There seems to be a family resemblance.

The same designer was responsible for both, and had to do a lot of persuading with Council to have them do not only the redesign but also the hardened poll. I'm happy to have been one of the handful of dealers who petitioned Council on his behalf to negotiate them having the feature on the Sport Utility version.

I tried to get a well known Portland smith to make a Hudson bay with a boys axe handle poll. The plan was to use a famous knife designer's name (everyone here would know him) on them as a bushcraft axe. The smith provided me with a prototype but it was next to worthless for chopping. Not sure the smith had ever chopped anything in his life. He told me he tested the axe on old wood pallets! I suggested he try again but that seemed to be the end of the project. Glad to hear Council is stepping up to the plate.

I saw this before. It was called the Wetterlings HB. Too bad they couldn't keep it in production, probably the best euro axe out there, ever.

I saw this before. It was called the Wetterlings HB. Too bad they couldn't keep it in production, probably the best euro axe out there, ever.
The Wetterlings was a half pound heavier and the poll wasn't hardened. Still a good axe though.

2-1/2 lbs. The Councils are 2lbs.

18" and 24"
Sorry, that's a little confusing, since they're both councils and one is just an updated version.
I'm assuming that the taller eye comes uses enough steel to add 0.5 lbs.

at 18 or 24 inches it reminds me of a house axe or short boys axe.
Where do you see this Council offering falling in the mix?
I like the design but the hafts are shorter than I was imagining.
(... not like we don't know how to fix that... šŸ˜‰ )

Sorry, that's a little confusing, since they're both councils and one is just an updated version.
I'm assuming that the taller eye comes uses enough steel to add 0.5 lbs.

at 18 or 24 inches it reminds me of a house axe or short boys axe.
Where do you see this Council offering falling in the mix?
I like the design but the hafts are shorter than I was imagining.
(... not like we don't know how to fix that... šŸ˜‰ )
The post you'd quoted was talking about the Wetterlings model, which has a head weight of 2-1/2 lbs while the Council is a 2lb head available with either an 18" or 24" handle. Hudson Bay axes are normally on handles in that size range, as they are a lightweight head.

For the longest time I thought it was standard practice for the poll, as well as the rest of the head, to be hardened just like the cutting edge.

Reactions: vab
I've known this was in the works for a while but Council finally updated their Hudson Bay axes to a new head style similar to the old L.L. Bean/Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay "Cruiser" hatchets, and not only does it have a taller eye, but they've hardened the poll as well. Still has a good splitting geometry to it, and a standard boy's axe eye. I don't have my hands on them yet but I'm excited to see 'em in person. This should fix the flaws of most Hudson Bay axes on the market at present.

239262911_6528070023877649_4556730339130304337_n.jpg

240621318_6528090273875624_5736426891439673058_n.jpg
Is there any convexity to the cheeks to stop if from being sticky? The new FS edition boys axes has just enough cheek to chop well without sticking. If they've done that with this it will be a hit. The slightly longer eye is great but if the axe is very sticky it won't make much difference and the handles will work loose.

Hey FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades is this available on your site with the 28 inch hats thats the only one I found. I would like to have it with the 28 but just wanted to make sure before I purchase.

Hey FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades is this available on your site with the 28 inch hats thats the only one I found. I would like to have it with the 28 but just wanted to make sure before I purchase.
he doesn't have the new version in yet, and besides... I think he's out of stock for the old version too.
Also, according to him a few posts back, 28" handle isn't an option for the new version, so you know you can't be looking at the same axe.

As EngrSorenson noted, I don't have them yet. I do have them on order but they're not currently available through me. Handle lengths the new model is available in are 18" and 24"

Is there any convexity to the cheeks to stop if from being sticky? The new FS edition boys axes has just enough cheek to chop well without sticking. If they've done that with this it will be a hit. The slightly longer eye is great but if the axe is very sticky it won't make much difference and the handles will work loose.

I've been told there's a bit of a high centerline, yes.

he doesn't have the new version in yet, and besides... I think he's out of stock for the old version too.
Also, according to him a few posts back, 28" handle isn't an option for the new version, so you know you can't be looking at the same axe.

As EngrSorenson noted, I don't have them yet. I do have them on order but they're not currently available through me. Handle lengths the new model is available in are 18" and 24"

I've been told there's a bit of a high centerline, yes.
Thanks for letting me know

Back