New Crystal Super (Israeli Personna) v 15-yr-old American Personna

screened porch

Basic Member
arb%20001.jpg

I was surprised.
The old one is much smoother than the new ones. No drag or pull at all to it.

The blade in this wrapper was kicking around loose from drawer to cabinet and back for at least 14 years, because I didn't buy it, and Dad went West early in 2001. I've been not throwing it out because it was Dad's, and not using it because it's old. Finally decided to use it, and throw it out if it was dulled beyond use.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a stainless blade in a wrapper didn't corrode, but I am surprised by the noticeably smoother shave than I get with its successors.

I wouldn't be surprised reading this. I love my Israeli Reds, they're my go to blades. On a whim, though, my local thrift store had some older Personna dispenser versions, I can't tell how old these were but the shave was excellent. Sometimes older Is better. :rolleyes:

I use Personna Reds. They are my favorite and I get a good number of shaves from them. Definitely a smooth blade.

How do the reds compare to the blues? I tried some blues in my R41 and it was wonderful.

Personna Red is my only blade after some extensive trial and error. I must admit I've only had modern ones, but would love some vintage ones!
Sorry to hear of the circumstances that lead to this, but life is what it is. We don't choose our destiny

Your father would probably take great pride in you using them. My mother made sure I got my dads old Gillette and brush the brush is bore so its just for display but the razor :)

I used Reds for about a year as they were very consistent & affordable. A great blade. I did find myself wanting to take it up a bit in sharpness and really like the 7 o clock super stainless. Not ridiculous like a Feather but more in between the 2.

I had some blades that were nearly as old as I am, came with a Gillette "fatboy". They worked as well or better than new blades. They were Gillette, can't remember the name though.

The only blades I use now are the Personna "Lab blue". Nearly as sharp as Feathers, no wax, just one wrapper, great 100 blade dispenser pack, made in the USA, and delivered for .13 a piece!

Back