New Czech knife company: ACTA NON VERBA

I just noticed a new Czech knife company -- ACTA NON VERBA -- has sprung up with some pretty sweet looking offerings.

Here's a look at one of their folders:
ANV.jpg

I haven't had the chance to handle one yet. But they seem to use D2 steel on a lot of their folders, and they offer a lifetime warranty. Has anyone out there checked 'em out?

They're on Instagram at @anvknives and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/anvknives/

Not a BF member company. You might get whacked for this. Nice knife though.--KV

Sweet looking knife and I like the co. name = "Action Not Words" ! :cool::thumbsup:

It’s a pretty generic design, but I do appreciate how clean it is. Two visible screws and a lanyard hole with an ultra-deep-carry wire clip. Here’s hoping the pricing, assembly, and material quality are up there with Civivi.

Well they say they use BÖHLER K110 (not Chinese d2) so that's a good sign.

Hmmm does my Czech heritage qualify me for a free one?

Just kidding, but the Z300 and Z400 models do look pretty cool.

ETA: I converted the prices on their website, they're not unreasonable, but like someone already mentioned, who knows what shipping will cost.

Last edited:
Is this a new thing that companies (not just a guy in his shed) have an internet presence only through social media bypassing having a website altogether? Honest not sarcastic question. I don't do social media or smart devices so I've probably not noticed it.

Pomsbz, They DO have a web site. I didn't know if it'd be kosher to list it here. Google the company name and it's the first result.

Is this a new thing that companies (not just a guy in his shed) have an internet presence only through social media bypassing having a website altogether? Honest not sarcastic question. I don't do social media or smart devices so I've probably not noticed it.

It's not entirely out of the ordinary for this to happen. In some cases it starts out as something some one was doing and promoting on social media, and they might eventually make a website or only have a minimal web presence otherwise. It actually seems fairly common in the knife world, more often with custom makers, but they're more likely to just be guys in their shed who don't want to pay for a web presence when social media is mostly free.

Like mnblade said though, they have a website, and I only found the option to display U.S. prices after I copied all their prices into google currency converter.

It’s also worth noting that companies tend to list higher prices on their own websites than a retailer would; if they ship to US-based sellers, the prices will likely be notably lower.

If they get down into the Civivi / Stedemon budget range, they’ll likely be a real contender (assuming similar build and material quality)

I have followed their social media some time ago. My thoughts:

1. Cool name.
2. They should use more English to promote their company if they want to sell outside of CZ.

3. Their folding knives have fair prices at first glance especially for knives made in the EU.
4. Some doubts come up: They advertise the Z300 as being "made in CZ" - are the Z200 and Z100 knives made elsewhere?
5. At second glance one has to notice that the folding knives all use D2 steel. D2 is okay for me but we know that a lot of people prefer PM steels and won't buy a Knife for ~$185 that "only" has D2 (Z300 Ti).
6. The portfolio is very big for a startup but size doesn't make up for monotony. Don't get me wrong: I like the Z100. But do we need the same knife with serrations and without serrations, with G10 and Dural grips, with frame and liner lock and with an awkward Combo-Edge (Z200)? I'd much rather have 1-2 versions to begin with. You can always bring out more variations if the Z100 proves to be a hit. All their folding knives but the Z400 are pretty similar IMO.

7. Some of their fixed blades are fairly priced D2 & Sleipner blades. Nothing that I'd buy but because they look generic and there are a lot of usable fixed blades out there but their knives look as if one could buy it and use them.
8. And then there is the M311. They claim the knife is used by CZ military and was developed for their needs. It costs a whooping $ 393-415 (USD!). That's a lot even for an ELMAX blade steel. Are they worth it? Maybe, but for that kind of money you will get a lot of (proven) great fixed blades from EU companies.
9. I absolutely don't like the M311 with the "ANV STRIPES". I know these stripes resemble the ANV logo but first thing that came to my mind is "that looks like Extrema Ratio's iconic Desert Warfare finish" and the more I look at it the more it does. It's is no clone but the design isn't original either.

It’s a pretty generic design, but I do appreciate how clean it is. Two visible screws and a lanyard hole with an ultra-deep-carry wire clip. Here’s hoping the pricing, assembly, and material quality are up there with Civivi.

One man's generic is another man's clean. ;) Personally, I hate jimping and other such bells and whistles. I'm not much for modern folders, but I'm sorely tempted. 'Course it helps that I live a couple hours from where they're made, so I won't have to pay too much for shipping.

Cyber Monday impulse buy got me the P300 fixed blade, mainly because the simple aesthetics appealed to me, and I didn't have a blade in Sleipner steel. Nice box with thick foam protects the knife and sheath inside, and even more than the knife I was truly impressed with the leather sheath. The finishing level is top notch, a split toe pouch with a belt loop that is tightly molded around the handle, beveled and burnished edges, and a sunken track for the tiny stitches, (will not count them but there is a lot of them) tucked under the surface. Quite possibly the best leather sheath I've gotten from a production knife. The knife itself has nice, even grinds, with all non-cutting edges rounded, wide headed screws that add visual appeal against the black g10 and very sharp. I'll see if I can post pics later.

Back