NEW Demko Shark Lock & AD-20

If you look at the internals it seems like the lifting happens naturally when the slide is fully retracted.

Intriguing. I like the pointier blade shape than the AD10, it's the blunt tip profile that stops me getting an AD10.

Last edited:
Locking mechanism seemed to be a bolt-lock with extra steps. You know - "tri-ad-lock is an improved back-lock" sorta thing. Looks familiar, but distribution of applying forces is different.
p.s. I despise bearings in knives.

Movement of lock seems to be a bolt lock but to make a claim that it is as strong as the Tri-ad then I'm guessing it slides a bolt in between the stop pin and the blade tang whereby for failure to occur then the stop pin's shearing strength comes into play. That's my guess.

Liking it, I have a CRKT Deadbolt Over Grabstep (D.O.G) folder and the bolt system has held up wonderfully for years. Axis locks fail under my repeated opening and closing cause of the omega springs but the springs of bolt locks normally last longer than me :)

Demko just posted a video on his IG profile showing the disassembled knife and how the new lock works. He also mentioned in the comments that the MG version of AD-20 starts at $425. It’s surprisingly affordable considering how this is a custom build. This is exactly same price as hinderer XM18.

The custom build with blades ground by Andrew are $825.00.

MG version is $425.00

I just got my MG(machine ground) AD-20 a couple days ago. I much prefer the blade with no hole so i got this directly from Demko. The handle is very comfortable and the lock is so fidget friendly. Also no blade play at any direction at all. This knife has potential to be one of the best lock in the market in terms of strength, durability, ease of use & maintenance.

Before anyone ask, no, the Shark lock tab doesn't cause any hotspot at all. I've held the knife in hammer grip, saber grip, Filipino grip, reverse edge-in, reverse edge-out etc. and i can't feel the the lock tab at all, and i don't have a meaty hand. The only thing you change is when holding in saber grip, you put your thumb on the lock tab which is further than where i would usually put my thumb at for this grip. But i almost never cut anything with saber grip and i'd imagine it's more for fighting, if that's the case it actually helps because it extends the tip.

The only thing that i still need to get used to is the balance. Compared to AD10 and AD15, this version of AD20 is quite blade heavy, because the blade is a huge chunk of 3/16" thick 20CV steel and the handle is mostly G-10 with some of liners around the top. The balance point is slightly near the lower half of the pivot screw, so above where your index finger will be, so the knife doesn't feel as lively in hand as compared to the AD15 or AD10 despite being lighter.

The overall length of the AD-20 is about 8.65" and the handle length is about 5.05". It's slightly shorter than the AD-10 and about 1/8" longer than AD-15. The weight for my MG version is 6.35oz. I wished that the knife is shorter overall, maybe take 1/2" off the whole thing and make it around 8-8.25" so more Hinderer XM-18 sized. Also, if they can shave the blade thickness to 4mm it should make the knife much more balance(even though i prefer thicker blade). Luckily Demko mentioned that he has a smaller version with 3" cutting edge in the work.

Overall I like the AD-20 much more than the AD-15. This is a great design that solves all the complains about Triad lock not being fidget friendly. IMO Triad is still my favorite lock because it's the most elegant design without requiring any liners, but the Shark Lock is definitely a close second.

107343435_294114495283662_5784105231208743600_n.jpg

107025049_284580472782686_6393380576130637280_n.jpg

I just got my MG(machine ground) AD-20 a couple days ago. I much prefer the blade with no hole so i got this directly from Demko. The handle is very comfortable and the lock is so fidget friendly. Also no blade play at any direction at all. This knife has potential to be one of the best lock in the market in terms of strength, durability, ease of use & maintenance.

Before anyone ask, no, the Shark lock tab doesn't cause any hotspot at all. I've held the knife in hammer grip, saber grip, Filipino grip, reverse edge-in, reverse edge-out etc. and i can't feel the the lock tab at all, and i don't have a meaty hand. The only thing you change is when holding in saber grip, you put your thumb on the lock tab which is further than where i would usually put my thumb at for this grip. But i almost never cut anything with saber grip and i'd imagine it's more for fighting, if that's the case it actually helps because it extends the tip.

The only thing that i still need to get used to is the balance. Compared to AD10 and AD15, this version of AD20 is quite blade heavy, because the blade is a huge chunk of 3/16" thick 20CV steel and the handle is mostly G-10 with some of liners around the top. The balance point is slightly near the lower half of the pivot screw, so above where your index finger will be, so the knife doesn't feel as lively in hand as compared to the AD15 or AD10 despite being lighter.

The overall length of the AD-20 is about 8.65" and the handle length is about 5.05". It's slightly shorter than the AD-10 and about 1/8" longer than AD-15. The weight for my MG version is 6.35oz. I wished that the knife is shorter overall, maybe take 1/2" off the whole thing and make it around 8-8.25" so more Hinderer XM-18 sized. Also, if they can shave the blade thickness to 4mm it should make the knife much more balance(even though i prefer thicker blade). Luckily Demko mentioned that he has a smaller version with 3" cutting edge in the work.

Overall I like the AD-20 much more than the AD-15. This is a great design that solves all the complains about Triad lock not being fidget friendly. IMO Triad is still my favorite lock because it's the most elegant design without requiring any liners, but the Shark Lock is definitely a close second.

107343435_294114495283662_5784105231208743600_n.jpg

107025049_284580472782686_6393380576130637280_n.jpg

Knice!:thumbsup: Would definitely be interested in the 3" version, especially if there's a CS version.

At $425 this is probably the most affordable Demko yet. If people are considering a Chris Reeve or an XM-18/24 they should look at this too. I was gonna wait for a cold steel version eventually, but I probably don't want to wait 1-2 years and they probably gonna cost just 1/2 as much.
I do wish for a smaller & lighter version ASAP.

Ok I'll try to be patient. I figure CS will make one eventually. Seems like it would be in everyone's interest. If there were some manufacturing constraint that could be an issue but I doubt it.

Seems like the AD20 is an easier knife to make if you compare it to the AD10 & 15 .

Seems like the AD20 is an easier knife to make if you compare it to the AD10 & 15 .
Yeah per Demko this is their design goal. It's made to be modular and very forgiving when it comes to tolerance. The 2nd half of the handle can be made into any shape because the critical mechanisms are all in front. The blade too, Demko mentioned in one of the knifenut/knifejunkie podcast that you can even buy separate blade from him and you can just swap the blade using the same handle and it'll all work, because the blades aren't being fitted to a specific handle and lock unlike a lot of "high precision" framelocks.

Back