NEW DESIGN! Bhura- our new smallest khukuri

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We've got a new design out guys!

Bhura! The smallest mini khukuri in production!

v3qjmtwdt8571.jpg

We get asked very frequently to make mini khukuris smaller than 5" and we usually say no. To fit a broad cutting belly and recurve for carving into such a small blade leads to a very cramped blade that looks ugly and suffers a lot functionally.
Naturally to make a blade shorter that's still excellent we need to shake a few things up. Firstly no cho- there just isn't real estate to spare.
We take all that iconic curvature of a khukuri blade and allow it to flow into the handle of the knife. This allows the belly to relax and open up, creating a more beautiful and smooth blade that still has the same silhouette, ornamentation and form factor as a khukuri. The broad cutting belly and dropped point remain while carving duty is relegated to a small flat section directly in front of the bolster.

hl1pj0xdt8571.jpg

Finally we developed a more refined single length of handle to ensure maximum functionality across a decent range of hand sizes in as compact a package as possible. Sometimes when you're trying to optimise a knife as a system having one very dialed in handle is best. Note the lack of handle rings- this allows for maximum versatility in grip and compatability with the most hands possible.

d2p4ixwdt8571.jpg

This particular blade is made with a stacked leather handle, polished white metal hardware and a traditional dap. It's intended to be a high value blade and with the cheapest options comes in at 35 usd.
Some specs: Blade: 3.5" Handle: 4.25" Spine Thickness at Bolster: 4mm Total Weight: 90g

ikvplkwdt8571.jpg

Finally- the name! Bhura means baby fish in Nepalese. It was initially called the tadpole but we thought a nepalese name would be a better fit for the style and be a bit more unique. Maybe you could give one to a family member and over time their taste in khukuris could grow with the pensioners and mutinies and other big fishies?
A question for you guys too. With all the changes we've made do you think this is still a khukuri?

Take care and stay safe,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.

It's very cute, but I wouldn't classify it under khukuri as it lacks the distinctive features. It would be illegal in the UK, but I can see it being a good edc knife.
I also like the name, it's very fitting and quite affectionate.

Thanks guys!
I don't think it's a khukuri either, primarily because it doesn't have a recurved portion of edge- despite the aesthetic and fitting similarities that's the dealbreaker. I think that taking some time to figure out taxonomies and define your personal boundaries of a specific blade form can be a very enlightening thing to try though

Back