New design coming...

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have a new design coming soon. Will be entering the prototype stages in a few weeks. Will probably be wrapped up with finalizing all the changes, etc. to all the details sometime next Spring - with any luck I can start making them next summer. In the meantime feel free to peruse the drawings and let me know what you think. I'm always open to suggestions and ideas.

Basically I want to make a larger sized folding knife with its own fixed-blade twin. It will be made of the same materials the Bushcraft Folder is made from and built in a similar way - just upsized a bit and, more importantly, it will have 2 grinds. I'm not jumping on the multi-grind bandwagon. I just am liking the idea of having both a thin blade for slicing as well as a thicker grind for heavy-duty push cuts.

Here's a screen-cap of the drawings so far:

PrototypeFolder2017.png

The grid is a 1" grid

Both grinds would be done on a 14" wheel, just set at different angles. Sharpening would be over one continuous edge.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• PrototypeFolder2017.jpg
    PrototypeFolder2017.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 27
I like it... but why a flipper and not a milled slot?
A flipper tab is annoying in the pocket and ugly to see.

I feel the same. On these prototypes I'm going to test both kinds. The flipper is too long on this drawing already - I did it that way to allow some testing and fine-tuning. Like I said, I want to give both a try.

Here are a few more renderings of the 3D model I made. I did these a few months ago and have parts on the way for testing.

PrototypeRendering1.jpg

PrototypeRendering2.jpg

Thanks!

Just got in some parts to make a couple prototypes. Will post pics here once I get something functional working.

Dan

Hey Dan I'm new to your knives but may be picking up a MUCK from a guy I know. Who does your HT on 3V?

ManOfSTeel89 - Peter's Heat-Treat. Set at 59/60 HRc :thumbup:

Thanks, Maqua - I hope to have a prototype to look at in a week or two!

When you get it assembled, I would like to stop by the shop to say hi and see the prototype in-person if you're open to it.

D.

Back