New DLT Exclusive Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Spearpoint with a Swedge

I know a local guy who is a knife maker and every new knife I get that I’m going to carry and keep I have him reprofile them on his belt. He puts some of the most amazing 20* inclusive edges on that I have seen. Makes it really easy to then just touch up. I would do it myself but I don’t have diamond stones or the patience, plus he is practically my neighbor.

I’ve never actually looked or measured to see what kind of edges Hinderer runs from the factory..are they not 20* inclusive? I know my CRK wasn’t and it had a convex edge, all my carry knives are v edges now at 20. Works for me.

Jordan, or anybody, any idea when is Stonewashed Black DLC coming back in stock?

Got mine in today. Straight out of the box, this thing is one of the best flipping Hinderers I've ever had!

Hey B, is this a battle bronze with working finish? I'm gonna track one down since there are only battle green left on DLT website.

ArWfI5C.jpg

mVlaiLi.jpg

LTv17jz.jpg

I'm debating whether to throw on the blacked out hardware or the sandblasted ones?

How are you guys that bought the Stonewashed DLC finding the blade coating to be holding up?

I usually prefer uncoated blades because I make a coated one pretty ugly in short order ... but I haven't see much in way of wear yet ... it might just be most are new ...

but I'd like to hear thoughts on how it wears.

Thanks - JJ

How are you guys that bought the Stonewashed DLC finding the blade coating to be holding up?

I usually prefer uncoated blades because I make a coated one pretty ugly in short order ... but I haven't see much in way of wear yet ... it might just be most are new ...

but I'd like to hear thoughts on how it wears.

Thanks - JJ
I’ve been using the snot out of my Swear Point and Skinny with the Stonewash DLC and haven’t noticed much of any thing. It scratches if you contact something else that’s metal but that’s an obvious. I used my Skinny the other day to cut up an 8ftx8ftx1in mat of rubber vibration pad that had a mesh core like a car tire. Cleaned right up and it looks new still. I did the same with a PM2 DLC and it really marred the finish up. It could also be that just how they Stonewash the DLC it helps to hide wear, but either way, I am VERY IMPRESSED with this new Hinderer finish, he’s definitely onto something.

I’ve been using the snot out of my Swear Point and Skinny with the Stonewash DLC and haven’t noticed much of any thing. It scratches if you contact something else that’s metal but that’s an obvious. I used my Skinny the other day to cut up an 8ftx8ftx1in mat of rubber vibration pad that had a mesh core like a car tire. Cleaned right up and it looks new still. I did the same with a PM2 DLC and it really marred the finish up. It could also be that just how they Stonewash the DLC it helps to hide wear, but either way, I am VERY IMPRESSED with this new Hinderer finish, he’s definitely onto something.

Thsnks for the reply ... I may have to go that way if no other options are released soon.

Thsnks for the reply ... I may have to go that way if no other options are released soon.
Not a problem. I never really liked DLC coated blades either until I saw how good this one looked. And after use I am very confident it is going to hold up quite well!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.
Same as a previous poster said, this thread tipped me over the edge and I pulled the trigger on my first Hinderer (and knife of this price range) yesterday. Eek!
Got what seemed to be the last 3.5" XM-18/Black DLC/Orange G10 Swear Point from DLT.
Eagerly watching the order page for updates.

I almost went for a skinny slicer with the same colours etc from somewhere else but they didnt ship to UK. In hind sight I think I prefer the aesthetics of a Swear Point and the standard thickness.
Can't wait to join the club.

^^ Excellent choice!
You’re going to love it!

They popped up the last orange one and a last blue one in Stonewashed Black DLC and I immediately snagged the blue one.
It is actually the best flipper out of all my Hinderers. Feels like a tank too.
Love it.
I just need one more Swedge in Stonewash!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.
Same as a previous poster said, this thread tipped me over the edge and I pulled the trigger on my first Hinderer (and knife of this price range) yesterday. Eek!
Got what seemed to be the last 3.5" XM-18/Black DLC/Orange G10 Swear Point from DLT.
Eagerly watching the order page for updates.

I almost went for a skinny slicer with the same colours etc from somewhere else but they didnt ship to UK. In hind sight I think I prefer the aesthetics of a Swear Point and the standard thickness.
Can't wait to join the club.
Great choice and welcome! You’re going to love it!
s6atOVw.jpg

They are stunning. Can't wait to actually handle one.
I haven't even received it yet and my mind is going crazy thinking of all the possible customization options on the hardware.
I really like the black hardware you have there.
That will probably be my first upgrade.
But them I'm like ooo I could get a black scale and do a black with bronze hardware. or a black and red ...or a completely custom scale with an Anso pattern...the list goes on.

Well what a tumultus week I've had, I finally have my first Hinderer XM-18. And what an absolute nightmare I've had to reach this point.
Sorry for the long post but I had to let some steam off.

It started with the order tracking on DLT not updating, after a few days I messaged them to find out what was going on.
They told me it was dispatched on the day I ordered it and supplied a tracking number...Happy Days!
On to the FedEx website to track, "your parcel is being held at customs awaiting further information from importer".
Ring FedEx to find out what is going on. "We need more information as to the contents of the package, it says its a knife?"
Yes its a knife..."ok you will need to email us with more details, What the item is, end use, market value etc etc"
email sent, few hours later, phone call from FedEx..."Your parcel has cleared customs however we cannot deliver it to you. We don't deliver "weapons" door to door. you need to come and collect it in the next 5 days or it will be confiscated, destroyed or returned to sender" They advised that they are open till 12 midnight and to email to arrange a collection time. Along with my photo ID and vehicle registration, so i could get through security.
Emailed, no reply, phone call, no one knew what was going on, after numerous phone calls over 2 days I finally get through to someone who was actually helpful and gave me a pick up address and time frame.
You need to go this this address between 9am-11pm.
It was a 2 hour drive away and I eventually arrived about 9pm friday night to find that the office Stanstead Airport was closed.
Spoke to security and explained the situation, who begrudgingly said ok i can try and find someone but their office is empty and if i cant find anyone i cant help you.
fortunately found someone who said they gave me the wrong address on the phone and I needed to drive to another location.
got to this new location and spoke to security there, they then found someone else and eventually after waiting around for another half an hour they located my parcel.
I signed for it and had a quick look in my car.
And I mostly don't blame anyone but myself for probably having unrealistic expectations after all the reviews and youtube videos, but after all that effort I was mildly disappointed.

For a knife of that price range, I rightly or wrongly had certain expectations.
Firstly, the blade wasn't centered, which doesnt really bother me too much, but for the price it should be.
Flicked open just fine with a strong finger blistering detent.
The action was "ok" I thought, maybe it needs breaking in. The action on my WE Knife Slipstream and Boker Damascus Kwaiken is about the same if not a tad faster/smoother.
No blade play at all when open or closed, lock up is solid, so that was good.
Next test, it wasnt even shaving sharp, it couldn't take any hairs off my arm. Most worryingly it struggle slicing paper without snagging.
Not to worry, I can sharpen it myself. But disappointing that I've had knives far cheaper with hair popping factory edges on.
Another gripe is that there is a gap at the bottom tip near the tip of the knife when closed, where the G10 doesn't sit flush with the titanium scale underneath. Makes it look a bit cheap.
Visually and the feel of it in hand, to me, is about on par with other knives in my collection which cost significantly less.
Again it's just probably me with unrealistic expectations.
Unless by pure chance, I received stellar examples from other companies, it feels much the same if not worse than my Manix 2 in Blurple for example in fit and finish, at almost 1/3 of the cost.
I took the knife apart and tried the different washers and ended up putting the bearings back in. Oiled the detent and track where it runs and the action was a little better.
adjusted the pivot and played about a bit and the blade is much more central now.
Then I spent the next 2-3 hours re profiling and sharpening the blade. I read somewhere that the factory edge is 22dps and I took it down to 20dps and put a mirror polish on it finishing with Pikal metal polish, the same stuff Rockstead recommend using on their knives. The edge is now hair whittling sharp.

What disappointed me the most out of everything though, is the card you get along with it that says who assembled and finished it etc. wasn't even hand signed. The signature on it was printed on and pixelated.
That just makes the whole thing very unauthentic. It makes it feel like I bought a Chinese clone rather than a real one from DLT.

So far I've been in the woods on a dog walk and whittled some sticks, been to work and cut up a load of cardboard and my impressions of M390 is very good.
Still hair whittling sharp. Ergos are good and I will continue to use this knife.
My wife asked me after all that if I'd do it again, damn straight I would, I wouldn't be a knife nut otherwise.
The mediocre fit and finish hasn't put me off Hinderer either maybe I just got a bad one. Anyway I'd like more from them. A wharnie and an XM-24 if i get a chance.

and of course just to add to all this I had additional import tax and handling fee due to it being a weapon, plus petrol to actually collect it, so it cost me another £90-100 on top of the sale price on DLT.
Rant over.

DANG. Wall o text.

Not sure if April Fools or not. o_O

If not, sorry to hear about your issues, and glad you’ve resolved some of them.

Yeah sorry about the wall of text, I felt I had to give some context to the anticlimactic ending.
and like I said, its mostly cuz I probably hyped myself up beyond reasonable expectations. I was sort of expecting the same reaction as if someone handed me a light saber.
And I may have just for a bad one, I don't know.
With the following and fan base this company has, I can't see them all having faults like mine. I do have notoriously bad luck.

I was trying to rationalize an XM18 and your post just helped me go another route.

I feel bad if I have put you off this brand, and its only my experience.
You may get the chance to handle one and immediately love it!

Honestly, if that’s all it took to turn him off of the brand, then good riddance...

Yeah sorry about the wall of text, I felt I had to give some context to the anticlimactic ending.
and like I said, its mostly cuz I probably hyped myself up beyond reasonable expectations. I was sort of expecting the same reaction as if someone handed me a light saber.
And I may have just for a bad one, I don't know.
With the following and fan base this company has, I can't see them all having faults like mine. I do have notoriously bad luck.

I feel bad if I have put you off this brand, and its only my experience.
You may get the chance to handle one and immediately love it!

I know every company has some slip through the cracks ... and we aren't talking about a $50.00 knife ...

I personally have not receieved any Gen 6s with issues but know of someone that did ... and if you are not satisfied with the one you received I would recommemd you call DLT for a return and if you are still interested in this knife talk to them and tell them what issues you have with the oneyou received and ask them to hand pick you one and they will do that and check for any issues you may have and ask them to check.

DLT is as good as it comes with customer service and they will do whatever they can to help you get the knife you want.

Back