New DLT Exclusive Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Spearpoint with a Swedge

Can someone tell me how thick these are behind the edge? Thinking about picking up a 3.5 but was told that they don’t cut so well.

91bravo 91bravo IMHO is right that the sheepsfoot is the best of my Hinderers for slicing ...

the new DLT exclusive Swearpoint cuts well ... it will never be a fillet knife ... but if you put a good edge on it ... it covers most any EDC type chore I need.

Last edited:
Depends on your preferences more than anything ... but I will say I really like the DLT Exclusive Swedged Spearpoint ...

I like the no choil look but I can't say it is a deal maker or deal breaker ... I sold my no choil because the choil allows me different grips with slightly larger than average hands ...

out of the knives you listed the Gen 6 Swedge Spearpoint is the best slicer IMHO ... and the Gen 6 Tri-Way pivots are just another step up for Hinderer ...

the detents on all 4 Gen 6s I have ... (2 of the DLT Swedged Spearpoint) ... are dialed in and they fire open like a flipper should.

Last edited:
Depends on your preferences more than anything ... but I will say I really like the DLT Exclusive Swedged Spearpoint ...

I like the no choil look but I can't say it is a deal maker or deal breaker ... I sood my no choil because the choil allows me different grips with slightly larger than average hands ...

out of the knives you listed the Gen 6 Swedge Spearpoint is the best slicer IMHO ... and the Gen 6 Tri-Way pivots are just another step up for Hinderer ...

the detents on all 4 Gen 6s I have ... (2 of the DLT Swedged Spearpoint) ... are dialed in and theyfire open like a flipper should.
I really appreciate your feedback JJ. Thank you.

I would say go for the Swedged Spearpoint as well. It is hands down one freaking awesome knife. I swapped some blue scales onto mine the other night

I’m having a really hard time if I want to spend $215 for a Battle Black titanium scale for it..lol

vCovgrd.jpg

I would say go for the Swedged Spearpoint as well. It is hands down one freaking awesome knife. I swapped some blue scales onto mine the other night

I’m having a really hard time if I want to spend $215 for a Battle Black titanium scale for it..lol

vCovgrd.jpg
Pretty close to perfection.

vCovgrd.jpg

I had to go with the Textured Ti and working finished hardware for my battle blue with working finish ... I really like it ...

2018-12-24 09.31.23.jpg
2018-12-24 09.36.00.jpg
2018-12-24 09.30.56.jpg

vCovgrd.jpg
Do it!! As soon as I get my free $200 in visa gift cards from signing up for Directv I am going to purchase the stonewashed black DLC scale for it and some copper hardware. Yours will look awesome all blacked out.

Do it!! As soon as I get my free $200 in visa gift cards from signing up for Directv I am going to purchase the stonewashed black DLC scale for it and some copper hardware. Yours will look awesome all blacked out.
Haha that’s exactly what I was thinking too. All battle black and copper hardware.

OD Green Micarta and brass screws really compliment the battle green anodizing on my swear point.

e2viYQi.jpg

Silent H Silent H ... Hey ... I was wondering where you picked up that OD Micarta scale for your XM-18 3.5" ???

I have been considering finding a micarta scale for one of mine but I liked the look of the one on yours ... so hoping to find out where you got it?

Thanks - JJ

Silent H Silent H ... Hey ... I was wondering where you picked up that OD Micarta scale for your XM-18 3.5" ???

I have been considering finding a micarta scale for one of mine but I liked the look of the one on yours ... so hoping to find out where you got it?

Thanks - JJ

Mine is actually a RHK scale, not an aftermarket from anyone else. I got it second hand, it took a while to find one.

Well I finally got around to switching out the bearings to the PB washers. Not fitment issues with mine, action is fantastic and centering is perfect. I find it kind of odd, I like the PB washers even more then the bearings, and find it to be even smoother and fires harder then the bearings...they got these Gen 6’s dialed in damn perfect.

Edit: better post a pic! Now it’s time for a stick!
mUW18QD.jpg

Last edited:
Since this thread pushed me into buying my first Hinderer I'm going to bump it back up.

Picked up a 3.5" try-way spearpoint with swedge from DLT last week and have a few questions about the action. The detent is very heavy and extremely crisp. A real joy to flip using the first joint in my index finger.

Due to the design of flipper tab it's obviously not too comfortable to use the tip of your finger repeatedly (vs ZT, etc). I found the video below that shows a forum member using the often discussed method of index finger on the flipper jimping. The detent on my knife is so heavy that I have yet to be able to break the detente from closed using this technique. Detente is also too heavy to deploy via thumb studs.

I've tried the knife on the shipped bearings as well as the PB washers with no improvement. In fact, the knife won't fully deploy without some heavy wrist flick on the PB washers. Typical of other's experience on PB?

Again, with the singular method for deployment the action and detente are phenomenal but do wish I could use the flipper jimping and thumb studs to deploy.

Have yours broken in over time or did they ship with a detent that heavy?

Video:

Last edited:
Mine fires open everytime on the bearings, PB washers, and Teflon washers when I use the push button technique. If you try light switch I've noticed it will still open but once in a while it will not fully deploy. The detent on mine is very strong and thats just the way I like it!

My swear point broke in nicely, I'd say the detent is near perfect. The action is smooth, and it doesn't take too much force on the flipper tab to open it. I remember when I got my first Hinderer, I thought the flipper tab was pointy and uncomfortable, but I think within a week I had gotten used to it and it hasn't been a problem since.

Hopefully my detent will continue to break in. I'd really like to be able to deploy this via the "push button" technique as well as the thumb studs. Action is incredibly smooth and crisp. From the first flick I could tell this knife was a meaningful step up from other flippers I've had.

Either of you guys able to open with thumb studs?

Since this thread pushed me into buying my first Hinderer I'm going to bump it back up.

Picked up a 3.5" try-way spearpoint with swedge from DLT last week and have a few questions about the action. The detent is very heavy and extremely crisp. A real joy to flip using the first joint in my index finger.

Due to the design of flipper tab it's obviously not too comfortable to use the tip of your finger repeatedly (vs ZT, etc). I found the video below that shows a forum member using the often discussed method of index finger on the flipper jimping. The detent on my knife is so heavy that I have yet to be able to break the detente from closed using this technique. Detente is also too heavy to deploy via thumb studs.

I've tried the knife on the shipped bearings as well as the PB washers with no improvement. In fact, the knife won't fully deploy without some heavy wrist flick on the PB washers. Typical of other's experience on PB?

Again, with the singular method for deployment the action and detente are phenomenal but do wish I could use the flipper jimping and thumb studs to deploy.

Have yours broken in over time or did they ship with a detent that heavy?

Video:
Mine fires open no problem push button or light switch. I struggled when I first got it but I think that was mostly because it is my first flipper and first frame lock. I think I sometimes had my finger on the lock bar which resulted in my just jamming the sharp flipper tab into my finger. My finger hurt for like 2 weeks when I first got it, but now it fires out with authority every time.

I am pretty sure my detent is perfect and it also falls shut with a smooth hydraulic like action. I don't think it gets much better than the action on mine. So I'm not sure if mine took breaking in when I got it or if it was just user error. I think a bit of both maybe, but now flipping it is addicting and doesn't bother my finger anymore.

Oh and P.S. Post some pics! We love looking everyone's knives no matter how many were previously posted lol.

Edit: I tried opening mine with thumb studs and I can, but I have to hold it really awkwardly to make sure my finger isn't on the lock bar, so I just stick to flipping it. It's way more satisfying anyways.

I can’t open mine with just the thumbstuds, but it’s funner to flip it open anyways.

Back