New Doug Ritter folder

Two additional things - one of the screws holding the clip on mine came partially fastened, with 3/32" sticking up which was really odd must of been a Friday afternooner.The other the blade on mine had a weird amount of vertical blade play that does not go away.I may have to take this apart and bend the omega spring to create more tension on the locking bar

I would respectfully suggest you contact Hogue who will address this under warranty and that will also allow them to determine if they need to take any corrective action to try and ensure this doesn't happen again. Contact Hogue to get warranty service at: office@hogueinc.com or phone at 800-438-4747

I received my orange version and I'm very happy about it. Overall it's really an excellent knife.

HbHrumP.jpg

However, comparing the two versions, I must say the consistency of the secondary bevel size between the two versions is not stellar. As you can see in these two pictures, the size of the secondary bevel on the orange version is much larger than the one of the black version. That's certainly a point to improve.

XmiAO2h.jpg

qEwPNFA.jpg

Last edited:
I would respectfully suggest you contact Hogue who will address this under warranty and that will also allow them to determine if they need to take any corrective action to try and ensure this doesn't happen again. Contact Hogue to get warranty service at: office@hogueinc.com or phone at 800-438-4747

I'm not the type to send a knife in for a simple problem.

So I just took the knife apart,what I found is somewhat concerning.The omega springs on mine were somewhat twisted/curved,one was covered in something brown and some lightly pitted rust at a few spots.I straightened the springs and bent them wider.On the other,I found the end of the spring which goes into the liner - not a 90 degree bend but more like 65.So I bend it with some pliers but succeed in snapping the end right off.Using the same pliers bent another right angle onto the end but now it seems I like tempered spring has a hair like fracture near the bend.Just WOW

Anyway,I assembled the knife the action and lockup is great.Just like any BM knife that I have - if you're checking for vertical blade play there's a tiny bit.It should be noted Hogue uses thinner omega spring than Benchmade

Last edited:

So I just took the knife apart,what I found is somewhat concerning.The omega springs on mine were somewhat twisted/curved,one was covered in something brown and some lightly pitted rust at a few spots.I straightened the springs and bent them wider.On the other,I found the end of the spring which goes into the liner - not a 90 degree bend but more like 65.So I bend it with some pliers but succeed in snapping the end right off.Using the same pliers bent another right angle onto the end but now it seems I like tempered spring has a hair like fracture near the bend.Just WOW

Anyway,I assembled the knife the action and lockup is great.Just like any BM knife that I have - if you're checking for vertical blade play there's a tiny bit.It should be noted Hogue uses thinner omega spring than Benchmade

These aren't simple problems.
If I were you I'd send it back.

Mine came in with immense vertical play, horizontal play, off-centering, screws not fully installed in the handle scales, and an extremely uneven edge all around. I've had three other Hogues and they were impeccably well made, so I don't know what happened on this one. Waiting for the replacement to arrive tomorrow. I'm optimistic that the one I received was a complete fluke.

Last edited:

I think the springs are intentionally curved that way to promote consistent bending in use, but they should still be consistent from spring to spring.

The brown stuff is probably scale from the heat treatment process, though it could probably accelerate rusting in the wrong conditions.

If I were you, I'd really consider sending that in for repair. Springs aren't heat treated for ductility (which is why the spring snapped on you when you tried to bend it). You bending it after it broke has weakened the metal at that bend, providing a place for it to break again more expediently.

FYI: vertical play on an axis lock is generally either caused by the liners shifting within the scales or by the pivot barrel being undersized. You adding more tension to the locking springs is a bandaid fix for what should be a warranty repair.

Mine came in with immense vertical play, horizontal play, off-centering, screws not fully installed in the handle scales, and an extremely uneven edge all around. I've had three other Hogues and they were impeccably well made, so I don't know what happened on this one. Waiting for the replacement to arrive tomorrow. I'm optimistic that the one I received was a complete fluke.

These problems are not an isolated as you may think.I saw one on the exchange BNIB missing a handle screw.

I think the springs are intentionally curved that way to promote consistent bending in use, but they should still be consistent from spring to spring.

The brown stuff is probably scale from the heat treatment process, though it could probably accelerate rusting in the wrong conditions.

If I were you, I'd really consider sending that in for repair. Springs aren't heat treated for ductility (which is why the spring snapped on you when you tried to bend it). You bending it after it broke has weakened the metal at that bend, providing a place for it to break again more expediently.

FYI: vertical play on an axis lock is generally either caused by the liners shifting within the scales or by the pivot barrel being undersized. You adding more tension to the locking springs is a bandaid fix for what should be a warranty repair.

The more I think about it as everybody thinks these a superior to the Benchmade one but beg to differ. I am going to send mine in,it's a hassle for me as I am north of the 49th parallel and shipping is not exactly cheap with insurance.

These problems are not an isolated as you may think.I saw one on the exchange BNIB missing a handle screw.

The more I think about it as everybody thinks these a superior to the Benchmade one but beg to differ. I am going to send mine in,it's a hassle for me as I am north of the 49th parallel and shipping is not exactly cheap with insurance.

It's certainly possible. FWIW, they replaced mine and it's exactly what I hoped it would be. So for me, 4 of 5 Hogue knives have been exceptional. I think I'm batting around 50% with Benchmade. My data set, limited as it is, still suggests Hogue makes better knives.

Sorry you had to go through that. I have been burned so many times trying to fix knives with problems out of the box that I return them immediately if there's problems not commensurate with the price tag. Knifeworks sent me a shipping label, so ultimately I wasn't out of money in the exchange.

I could live with it in its present state.The worst case is one of the springs break but then there's always another.

I did just return a knife to KW and they were kind enough to me to reimburse shipping.

The only complaint I have about this knife is a aesthetic one. Why do they make the pivot screw black and leave all the other screws silver?

I have been VERY disappointed with Hogue customer service, they talk a good game, the returned X5 was worse than the one i sent in. Never again and I'm not a bm fan boy.
Like the president of Hogue told me: if I spend more than $50 building a knife I can't make any money on it, kind of says it all for me.

I just bought one of these used and it’s outstanding. No issues at all. I found this thread hoping for a discussion of the knife and think it’s unfortunate that it seems like it’s mainly about ethics.

IMO it makes more sense to buy one of these than a g10 grip but that’s just me.

Still loving mine and actually even more !
Running a MXG Black DLC DP clip and also have a stonewashed :thumbsup:
Lots a love here for the Hogue Ritter what a great knife.
JuggH0K.jpg

uIkvtBx.jpg

Mine was perfect right out of the pouch. I really love the robustness of the knife and I can see it getting a ton of use. I hope with all these positive comments, reviews, and purchases, there is thought regarding a mini version to this great knife.

On a side note, please make the mini MK1 G2 happen:)

What a very intriguing concept. I wonder why we didn't think of that? But, perhaps we should... Something to consider... But, of course as I have noted previously, we have a strict policy of not commenting on future plans. :D

Back