New Drop Forged Knives

Got my Survivalist from BHQ today. I'll post some pics tomorrow. First impressions are excellent. It feels really comfy in the hand, grinds are perfect, and it came spooky sharp. I'll have to go out and chop some stuff and then decide if I want to add anything to the handle. :thumbsup:

In sheath:
DSC00245_zpsj8nvqg2n.jpg

Knife with sheath:
DSC00246_zpsjkufnej7.jpg

Left and right side text:
DSC00250_zpstxeo8ebg.jpg

DSC00253_zpslh1rbibd.jpg

Thickness of handle (and blade):
DSC00248_zps9gds3sjp.jpg

Some freshly severed arm hair:
DSC00255_zps7eqqb5ga.jpg

I'm anxious to get this one.
All things considered it should be very durable. Hopefully there will be some YouTube vids on it soon.
Thanks for posting the pics.

got my bowie and survival drop forged today. coating is slippery. balance between handle and blade is pretty good due to the shape and carve out of the handle. i expect the carve out of the handle isnt just for grip but also to balance the weight better. the bowie is almost perfectly balanced. survival is a bit blade heavy.

sheaths fit knives well. didnt check if glass content is the same as previous secure x sheaths yet. i expect it is but havent checked.

both came very sharp with decent balanced bevels and sharp tips rather than rounded off ones.

appears knives were coated before final sharpening and lanyard holes drilled. lanyard hole isnt coated on the inside.

the brass color is muted which i like. not as bright as i feared they would be.

so far im impressed but i havent put them to use yet.

Is the clip/swedge sharp on the Survivalist? I was going to wait a few months when these went on sale but the temptation is too great. I ordered the Survivalist today. Really looking forward to seeing this knife in person.

Any impressions yet about the coating? Any concerns about durability? Not the blades so much, surely that's going to wear but I'm wondering more about the handles. Wouldn't want any chipping, flaking, etc. I wonder if its strippable?

The snap from my Spec Ops Brand sheath is chipping the finish of the handle. I will be covering the handle and plan on using this knife pretty hard so it's a moot point. That said, bare metal attracts rust, so wiping any worn areas down with oil, to include the edge, should be a part of regular care and maintenance.

The snap from my Spec Ops Brand sheath is chipping the finish of the handle. .

Granted this isn't the factory sheath, the finish chipping doesn't inspire much confidence in its ability to protect the blade. Maybe a blued version would be the way to go like that on the Hunter model.

Last edited:
If it chips that easily its not much good on a user. My guess is that it's intended to protect during storage and shipping only. I can only hope it strips easily.

Got the bowie and really like it. First thing I did was take off the hanger and attach a ulticlip. Second was to take a thin strip of grip tape and run it around the outside edge. Now I have a nice, flat IWB knife that conceals nicely under a dark tshirt.

I like the shape and looks of the Bowie handle. Looks like it would be very comfortable.
I was reading about Jerry Fisk recently and he said curved handles are for power and straight handles are for speed. I had never given much thought about that aspect of a handles design but it makes sense.

Survivalist arrived today. This knife is built like a tank. Weight is in the handle. Finish is not chippy or flaky but can be scratched. Im noticing very faint or light scratches on one side from pulling knife in and out of sheath. But its very light. Overall I like it and look forward to getting the Bowie and Boot Knife version eventually.

The Drop Forged Hunter is available in both clear as well as black powder coat. I wonder if Cold Steel will offer the Survivalist, Bowie and Boot Knives in black powder coat in the future? I think it would make a great option.

I received the boot knife about a week ago. I've been carrying it since. Weight also in the handle. Very good feel in hand. This knife carries IWB incredibly well. It lays so flat. I ride a sport bike and even crunched up on that thing I cant feel that the knife is there. This version already comes with the Ulticlip. Not sure if the other two models do? Incredibly sharp out of the box.

Was talking with another BFC member about this knife and it's brethren, and he came up with some inlays to fill in the gap in the handles:
Bokote:
received_10159152011435727.jpeg
Abalone:
received_10159152090670727.jpeg
And the Survivalist in stag:
received_10159152185445727.jpeg

I will definitely be picking up the other two models.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of inlaying some GT-5000 grip tape in the handle depressions of the Survivalist. The palm and fingers of my hand do contact the inside of the depressions when I hold the knife, and the GT will certainly give a better grip than the bare metal. :thumbsup:

For those not familiar, GT is soft and rubbery, not sandpapery like skateboard tape.

iu

Back