New Fallkniven blades

F1X is on it's way!

:D
Great! Do you by chance have/had one of the original versions to compare against?

I have the base model S1 and like it very much. Would be interested in your observations of the steel and grind and handle material/fit. The originals are a bit slim as if made for winter gloves. But I really like the base S1 overall.

Will be waiting to hear how you like it. Thanks, :thumbsup:

So far I've just handled it and tried out the new sheath. I like it really good, it is hefty, think mini A1 just with a more aggressive edge! :D

And the sheath is amazing, if you clamp down the locking lever there is none of the famous Fällkniven rattle!!

Great! Do you by chance have/had one of the original versions to compare against?

I have the base model S1 and like it very much. Would be interested in your observations of the steel and grind and handle material/fit. The originals are a bit slim as if made for winter gloves. But I really like the base S1 overall.

I only have the A1. The grip on the F1x has a much more aggressive texture compared to the originals. The grind feels nice but I have not tested it on any wood yet, I really don't think it needs any re-profiling or anything.

Fit n finish is great, and the handle fits my(medium) hands nice.

Noticed today that my F1x came with a microbevel on it at a ridiculously wide angle. I took out my benchstones and removed it...

So if this is how they all come, these knives(I suspect this goes for FK's whole range?) definitely benefit from putting your own edge on it.

Any word on these yet? Any one get to handle any yet?
These look nice to me, though I think they are a tad bit pricier than perhaps they should be. I can get an A1 Pro for about $30 more on Amazon than I can get A1X from an online retailer. The Pro weighs about 2 oz. less out of the box than the A1X. If I got an A1X, I'd rehandle it in bog oak, but that would make it weigh even more.

I wonder how hard it would be to drill a few extra holes in the tang to remove some excess weight. Of course, then you lose a little bit of the strength a full tang knife has, but I doubt that loss would make any difference for 9999 out of 10000 users.

These look nice to me, though I think they are a tad bit pricier than perhaps they should be. I can get an A1 Pro for about $30 more on Amazon than I can get A1X from an online retailer. The Pro weighs about 2 oz. less out of the box than the A1X. If I got an A1X, I'd rehandle it in bog oak, but that would make it weigh even more.

I wonder how hard it would be to drill a few extra holes in the tang to remove some excess weight. Of course, then you lose a little bit of the strength a full tang knife has, but I doubt that loss would make any difference for 9999 out of 10000 users.

I don't know as I kind of prefer the A1 pro maybe because I have one already. I picked mine up on the ex for a great price. I'm looking at the S1 pro now though.The A1X looks to be stout that's for sure. I'd like to handle one first. You could probably find a bit to drill some holes in the tang, that's a thought I guess to reduce some weight. I'm not sure how much weight would be reduced when all said and done if it would be worth it or not.

I don't think they did a very good job of presenting the advantages. They say it will handle anything, then later on say, in essence, that you shouldn't use it for anything but cutting. If that is the case, you don't need a super-tough coating. I am looking forward to hearing from folks who can explain why this is a worthwhile approach.

I like my VG10 S1, and FK does a very poor job informing why CoS or 3G are better and how much better, and don’t describe the differences in blade thickness and weight except in the specs. I don’t find much info on those steels especially in comparison to more common steels. The main improvement I see with the X series are the removable scales. But not seeing that as worth another $100. I would like to see an in depth article about Cos and practical evaluation compared to VG10, CPM154, etc.

I am thinking of adding an F1 but so far see no compelling reason to go Pro or X at this point.

Any word on these yet? Any one get to handle any yet?

I have a F1x and I really love it. The grip feels good and the modified sheath is very very nice. Sure hope they plan to upgrade all the sheaths..

Yes the weight is getting substantial, but I feel it somewhat helps the balance of the knife.

Last edited:
From my perspective- the removal of scales for Cord wrap or other scales is worth the cost. Plus cost is now considerably lower than when first came out. I like the sheath, yet am not in a hurry to try it out. My S1 pro got all scratched from just using sheath few times. I’ll get a better sheath in do time

Back