New Finish on BK29?

I just got a BK29 a few days ago, and, as usual, the 1st thing I did (after fondling it a few minutes) was strip the coating off of the blade. Man, that stuff was tough! I can normally have everything off of a knife in about 4 hours, but that one took me 12 hours! The only one I've seen even close to it, in terms of difficulty in removal, was the coating that Cold Steel put on a Recon Scout. Anybody else have a similar experience? Do you know if they changed their coating?

Troy

I'm curious as to how your stripping the coatings. I literally can strip a blade in 45 minutes. I mean no ill just asking. As for the coatings I did notice that my Bk5 was s little harder to get off and its coating looks like whats on my 29.

I use Citristrip. I know that there are other more agressive strippers, but I can use this stuff on the kitchen counter, it doesn't tear your hands up if you get any on you, and the kitchen smells like oranges the whole time.............;)

I could probably do it even faster with this, but I don't get in a hurry. I'll let it sit in stripper for 1-2 hours, and then scrape or wire brush off anything loose. Some knives only take the one time. If there are stubborn sections, I put it in stripper for another 1-2 hours, and just repeat as necessary.

I'm going to give that a try. The stripper from hell that I use eats thru my rubber gloves. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

Jasco baby, Jasco. 15 minutes or less, and if I spill any of it on the grass, I never have to worry about mowing that spot again, ever:D
Joined the forum yesterday and looking for the same answer on removing coating. I tried one product from Home Depot and nothing. Had seen numerous Youtube videos using Jasco 15 minute product. Had a local True Value order it for me and after a short time failure, let it sit overnight and still nothing. The product I received states non-methylene chloride formula. According to an internet search for methylene chloride. Banned in US sometime in 2019. Any suggestions and thanks for any response.

Joined the forum yesterday and looking for the same answer on removing coating. I tried one product from Home Depot and nothing. Had seen numerous Youtube videos using Jasco 15 minute product. Had a local True Value order it for me and after a short time failure, let it sit overnight and still nothing. The product I received states non-methylene chloride formula. According to an internet search for methylene chloride. Banned in US sometime in 2019. Any suggestions and thanks for any response.
Y ycf4049

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. Here's a thread where I stripped my Cam 2: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mild-bk2-mod.1393307/#post16057350

As far as paint wear the smooth seems to be tougher than the rough coat. As far as stripping them both start lifting in less than a minute with this stuff :thumbsup: I recommend the liquid can over the spray. But I would just carefully spay a little in a small container and dap a little where I wanted it . This stuff works fast and like a champ :thumbsup: use a little metal can too. Plastic gets eaten :p Overtime the spray can would not spray? Another thing you only need a very thin layer to get the job done ;) so disposing the mess is not a big issue.
IMG_4400.JPG

Rough coat
IMG_4401.JPG
Smooth coat
IMG_4402.JPG
That brand remover above stripped all these below that had paint :) the paint on the 21 is holding up well so it's staying for now :p:p the 24 and csm11 never had paint :thumbsup:
IMG_4413.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have any type of oil on your Knife? Wash first in hot soapy water first :thumbsup: Jasco should work pretty fast :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum

As far as paint wear the smooth seems to be tougher than the rough coat. As far as stripping them both start lifting in less than a minute with this stuff :thumbsup: I recommend the liquid can over the spray. But I would just carefully spay a little in a small container and dap a little where I wanted it . This stuff works fast and like a champ :thumbsup: use a little metal can too. Plastic gets eaten :p Overtime the spray can would not spray? Another thing you only need a very thin layer to get the job done ;) so disposing the mess is not a big issue.
View attachment 1134043

Rough coat
View attachment 1134044
Smooth coat
View attachment 1134045
That brand remover above stripped all these below that had paint :) the paint on the 21 is holding up well so it's staying for now :p:p the 24 and csm11 never had paint :thumbsup:
View attachment 1134216

Yup, Klean Strip works very quick.
Good stuff!

I can't imagine using anything better or safer than This...
Just glug it on, wait 30 mins to and hour, then lightly scrap off the coating... Super easy and smells Nice!

Did about 8 blades so far.

I have had good and bad luck with both, I wonder if the shelf life of the product has something to do with its potency?
My overall fav is the toxic dangerous stuff, but the citristrip does work well and sometimes better.
The Citristrip smells better and being that its safer makes it overall better imo.
But it depends on your mood. If you’re mad at the knife, get the toxic stuff lol

Back