REK Q fixed blade thread

No sarcasm intended. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting this savings plan to you specifically or anyone else. I was replying to the woodysone suggestion that the knife maker would offer a layaway plan, which woodysone clearly intended as a jest, judging by the line of emojis following his post. I just thought to provide an alternative ;)

Yes, I suppose my sense of DownEast humor can get lost in text. :confused: :)

Ray

Last edited:
No sarcasm intended. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting this savings plan to you specifically or anyone else. I was replying to the woodysone suggestion that the knife maker would offer a layaway plan, which woodysone clearly intended as a jest, judging by the line of emojis following his post. I just though to provide an alternative ;)

Yes, I suppose my sense of DownEast humor can get lost in text. :confused: :)

Ray
Wasn't taken that way no problem.:thumbsup:. I was messing about woodysone woodysone message I figured he was messing then Josh threw me. Anyways I'm sure we can all agree, it should be great when it arrives it's going to be different than any I have. Maybe I missed it, i'm in work so hard to go back and reread, but who is doing the heat treatment . Is it in house or someone like Peter's.

Wasn't taken that way no problem.:thumbsup:. I was messing about woodysone woodysone message I figured he was messing then Josh threw me. Anyways I'm sure we can all agree, it should be great when it arrives it's going to be different than any I have. Maybe I missed it, i'm in work so hard to go back and reread, but who is doing the heat treatment . Is it in house or someone like Peter's.

I didn’t see any mention of heat treatment either.

Yeah sorry guys I am so swamped I missed the jest in that lol, my bad!

But yeah for heat treat it will be Peters (ht and cryo).

Out of curiosity have you made one for yourself ? Like a test model to experiment and just get a feel for.
The only thing I've done is prototype in plastic... But I have used cruwear before (also by Peters ht) and fixed blades and have a pretty good idea what it can handle. Most of that is determined by the geometry especially when the heat treat and ergos are dialed in. First one will probably be mine for a test/promo knife before I sell any anyway haha. :)

Alright guys, need some input on 2 points:

Was gonna laser etch the REK logo on the show side flat but what do you guys think about a serial number and steel type? Are these needed/desired? one or the other?

Regarding scale color - I was planning on doing micarta but which color? od green, black, or natural canvas?

Black canvas is always good. Steel type might be a good idea, if in the future you decide to use a different steel type. Just my opinion.

Yes on steel type. But not overly large "font." I kind of like how Microtech does it actually. You sort of have to look for it on their blades. Serialization means nothing to me unless this is a really limited run perhaps (?).

OD green would be my vote. Denim micarta would be a both hands in the air vote! ;)

I think having the steel type on it is a good idea ... people like to know but forget after years ... I do like the thought of having it under the scale hidden ... I like the clean look of your logo.

I can't remember what knife I had that had a code for steel type on the top of the tang so it wasn't on the blade.

Scale wise you will probably get as many answers as people ... micarta changes a lot with use ... darker browns or black or buffed micarta seem to change less ... since it's your creation I would use what you think compliments your design best ... or make a few of each to gauge what sells best?

Yes on steel type. But not overly large "font." I kind of like how Microtech does it actually. You sort of have to look for it on their blades. Serialization means nothing to me unless this is a really limited run perhaps (?).

OD green would be my vote. Denim micarta would be a both hands in the air vote! ;)

Yeah good point on the s/n being good for limited runs, I am planning on making more in the future if people them so there's probably no need for the s/n. I'll check into the denim, we'll see ;)

Are you working hand in hand on these with TPK? Design looks awesome, I could be in on one
Thanks! No the design is completely mine, but Frankie and I were going to make a one off version of this together but he's pretty busy with the house underway :)

Definitely need your logo and I like the idea of steel type. As for a s/n I’d rather see like generation one or similar. So as this progresses and evolves it will go with it. Save the s/n for limited run specials :)
I like black micarta and natural
:)

Back