new fixed blade

hi all think I have made my decision but a would like some other opinions
ka bar ek model 5. what do you think of it?

I go camping hiking, hunting and outdoor sports.

my wife and father in law are both in wheelchairs and have poor mobility but love the outdoors and we go we're wheel chairs have not gone before lol.

I do go with my mates as well but when I go with the wheelchairs I have to push one and carry a lot of gear.

What it will be used for is food prep, fire making, clearing brush, bit of bush craft and making trails wheelchair friendly (bigger wider) in worse case making emergency shelters.

£150 max price
5.5 to 7 inch
bowie or clip point
double guard (can't push a wheelchair if I slice my hand)
slab tang

I do go perperd and plan the best I can do I pack depending and time of year where I'm going and who I'm going with but I only normally carry one fixed blade, flint striker Zippo torch folding shovel ect. what I call basics.

Unless I know I need a big bowie 9 inch + smaller fixed 5 inch an axe, other tools and the kitchen sink I will take them.

So the ka bar ek 5 up to it or can anyone suggest something different in budget and my specs.

I know little of that knife, I've just looked at a few pictures of it.

I think you should buy it of you are drawn to that kind of knife for whatever reasons you fancy. That said, I'm similarly minded to say that if you and a mate enjoy playing tennis with a pair of cricket bats then go for it if it amuses you.

Objectively I would say that the geometry would make it a pathetic food prep knife in most instances, and in those instances in which it would be OK so would just about any knife you could put your hands on from big SAKs through Battle Mashers to something you can find in Poundland. Mebe Pineapples and coconuts would violate that but who is carrying those about.

Chopping would be better done with something small that's designed for chopping. These would make that look silly.
wedge-0111.jpg

One hardly needs much in the way of a knife to get a fire going most of the time, and I find little about this design to confer any real advantage save for that it can probably take a bit of beating if you really had to pound down to dry wood. That said, just because it's probably not especially brittle isn't something that I'd find especially interesting in real world use most of the time. People that want to play “lets get a fire gong in the most shitty conditions we can find” usually have some other agenda, along with those that cut golf balls and fridges in half. Personally, I think if you load up on that you've probably got a knife that is going to be very underwhelming at truly useful things. This thing is mostly a military tool with a nod to toughness with it's 1095 at 57ish. In the context for which it looks designed that's a fine cheap happy beater. I dare say that most civilians don't need to load up on that and should look more into edge retention and ginger prevention. I suspect most people that buy this knife will cut a lot of air with it and that's about it, so they'll never know the difference.

Bushcraft, well great zot, what a laughable concept that had become. We went through bushraft, neo-bushcraft, and then arrived at such a polymorphous concept many on forums did away with the word and came to prefer the equally useless “I'm going for bimble” rather than “I'm going to do some bushcraft”. All that time and brain power leading them right back to where they started. They just swapped one thrashed and useless term in an attempt to scape off another. Words can mean whatever I want them to mean and all that. What is it; didicoy crafts and making clothespegs and corn dollies, variations in sharpening sticks, mebe making a shuttle to knit your wife an intimate hair jumper. Who the hell knows. On that I couldn't say this knife was good or bad for any of that, I do know it would be way down my list of useful things to have in the outdoors.

To conclude I think that if I already had a lot of gear to haul I would not indulge the whimsical pleasure of lugging this this thing too. What I can say that if it were me in a scenario of pushing a wheelchair, baby buggy, dragging a fishing trolley down some track that had got a bit overgrown I'd load up on pruning shears. I'd pair those with a modest knife that cuts really well and has good to high edge retention. And if I were to push that envelope further I'd wind in a saw. In fact, given what you describe I'd sooner even a humble Swibo kitchen knife and secateurs to anything remotely military and compromised by needless excessive toughness. Imagine two identical tracks overgrown with brambles and with a goal to make a roast dinner served on a table made at the end. We time a team to race down one track with what I propose as a better kind of slant, and then time them trying to overcome the obstacles to the wheelchair, the catering, and the wood working with a single knife of this ilk.

I have one from around 1990 pre-Kabar (Ek Commando). I bought it as a "survival knife". It may well have been my very first "survival knife" and yeah, I was thinking Rambo at the time. I think it would make an okay general purpose woods knife in 1095. Not too large and not too small.... I don't really use mine as I have moved away from what I consider fighting knives.

I think a Kabar Becker BK-16 would work just as well or if you want larger, a BK-7. Have to think about other options.... Take a look at some of the LionSteel fixed blades. They generally make a fine knife. The Falkniven F1 is a good choice too.

thank you for your input
you are both right with the Rambo style and not pc the reason I was drawn to it was I have used and tryrd different blade shapes and styles and always go back to my bowies or clip points
I was lucky and my grandad brought me up (very military and live of the land style he was in Malay crisis 1st battalion 3rd mortor platoon sent him a bit crazy in ways) and I had sheffield bowies 5inch 7inch and a few others since I was a kid and we lived 2 minutes from the woods I never had any folders untill I was 19 (my grandad thought that we're not safe and an accident waiting to happen he was stubborn lol)
I am used to that style of knife i have a few bucks ka bars ontarios and Sheffield steel most I collect some I use
I will have another look at the BKs and look in to lion steel and fallknives
I will put some pruning shears in my bag when im with the wheelchairs right tool for the job
bushcrafting like you said just being able to make what you need with what you have around you and a bit of creatively using wood
the ka bar ek 5 is a bit of Rambo over practicality but i am drawn to it and would have fun using it playing Rambo in the woods lol but will look up suggestions
thank you both for you insight and opinions

Last edited:
I am drawn to the fighting or pseudo fighting knives too, and I like the bowie shape. I seriously considered getting the Kabar Ek Model 5. But I think other types of knives work better for the woods. I have a lot of knives and I can grab big to little whenever I feel like heading to the woods. Other than playing around, I could easily get by with a folder in the woods. But I like having a fixed blade with me especially for emergency use.

I believe my Ek Commando is made with 440A steel. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 440C. The Kabar version is 1095 and arguably better.

Another knife that has captured my attention in the woods is the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart. Runs a little more than some of the other Beckers, but I really like the kephart shape and the Becker comes pretty close to recreating the original from the early 1900's. It feels really nice in the hand as long as you don't have huge paws. It's easy to carry, not flashy, and sharpens up very nicely. I tend to gravitate toward knives that other hikers or folks I might run into along a trail don't become uncomfortable with them. Of course, for some people they might get excited over a swiss army knife... at that point, I pretty much react with the "don't care" attitude. Otherwise, I am pretty respectful.

The thing I don't know about is the pricing in Europe in general even if something is made in Europe. We get spoiled here in the US with pricing as there is no value added tax built into the final retail price.

Last edited:
I am drawn to the fighting or pseudo fighting knives too, and I like the bowie shape. I seriously considered getting the Kabar Ek Model 5. But I think other types of knives work better for the woods. I have a lot of knives and I can grab big to little whenever I feel like heading to the woods. Other than playing around, I could easily get by with a folder in the woods. But I like having a fixed blade with me especially for emergency use.

I believe my Ek Commando is made with 440A steel. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 440C. The Kabar version is 1095 and arguably better.

Another knife that has captured my attention in the woods is the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart. Runs a little more than some of the other Beckers, but I really like the kephart shape and the Becker comes pretty close to recreating the original from the early 1900's. It feels really nice in the hand as long as you don't have huge paws. It's easy to carry, not flashy, and sharpens up very nicely. I tend to gravitate toward knives that other hikers or folks I might run into along a trail don't become uncomfortable with them. Of course, for some people they might get excited over a swiss army knife... at that point, I pretty much react with the "don't care" attitude. Otherwise, I am pretty respectful.

The thing I don't know about is the pricing in Europe in general even if something is made in Europe. We get spoiled here in the US with pricing as there is no value added tax built into the final retail price.

I have had a look I do like the bk 7 and have for a while and 62 now never seen that one before
like some lion steel too
I do mostly only take 5inch fixed just don't trust a folder much or in an emergance and I like my fingers

5 inch because I don't want to offend people but the right tool for the job i have never had a problem with either my Sheffield 5 inch or my ka bar shorty the amount of people who have asked to borrow them or ask me to cut something for them is surprising and most people like them because there not to big or small but you will always get no matter were you are or what tools you take the pc police who look at them like there radioactive and i have had that look but i just carry on and be polite and try educate them if thay ask knives are tools and people are the problem same with all tools guns hammers axes
so what ever I get (might have a list now)it will not be used that often but it is going to be a user when I think I will need a bigger knife and go the less popular places

if anyone ones intersted heres some pics of my first knife, my ka bar short and a couple of years ago my grandads regiment was on the news so got the picture from there but will have to get the albums from my mums and copie all the malaya jungal and military pictures

http://imgur.com/a/tRamUKh

Last edited:
I have had a look I do like the bk 7 and have for a while and 62 now never seen that one before
like some lion steel too
I do mostly only take 5inch fixed just don't trust a folder much or in an emergency and I like my fingers....
I really like the Becker Kephart BK-62. (5.2" blade.) It is not a blade to beat to death with a baton, but should be fine for light batoning. I like it so much that I bought a handmade one in June that has exactly the same feel but with CPM-154 steel. What can I say?

The BK-7 has always felt a little big for me to carry. (Yes, I own one.) Many people like it. If I go to a 7" blade, I have a Blackjack 1-7 that I would carry as it is slimmer. It is way out of your budget however. So, I am not suggesting it. My other larger woods blade is the Bark River Wilderness Explorer which has a 5.75" blade by my measurements; I was looking at the time for a 5.5" blade, but liked it a lot. So, goes the knife buying.... I have way more blades than I will ever need to use.

Last edited:
I wanted to save up for a blackjack 1-7 or model 14 (bit to expesive at this time for me)
if I do take 7 i have a few its always a ka bar 1211 since i got it and love it bit light but a good camp and utility knife paired with a axe there's not much you can not do
that's why the EK 5 was my first choice closer to a blackjack with the slab tang and something a bit different to my 1211 but now I have lots more choices I like and my wallet does not but the blackjacks a grail knife to me wanted one for years nearly got one twice but missed out bit hard to get here but I can if I have the money at the right time
I need less bills or a pay rise before I can dream about barkrivers crish reeves or other grail knife busse team Gemini light Birgade

Last edited:
I have a Ka-bar Ek model 5 and like it, but I agree that it might not be the best choice for your intended activities. I have a Victorinox SAK or Ka-bar Dozier Folding Hunter for EDC. I have a Mora that I like to use for food prep and a Jääkäripuukko that I like to use for fire building. For trail clearing, a machete, hatchet, or folding saw should work better. None of them are expensive.

The Blackjack 125 is a better "user" and a little less expensive. Yeah, I have one. At one time, it was my preferred woods knife along with the BK-15. Note all of the Blackjack classics have a reduced tang, so I would not beat them to death in the woods. But I think they are well made and strong.

I have all these nice knives, right..... what did I take to the woods the last time? Condor Mayflower in 440C. It has a 3" blade. I just got it at the Blade Show in June and I am tickled with it. It is a knife you won't be afraid to use. I was at the Condor booth at Blade and the rep pulled out the Mayflower. (I pretty much handle every one of their knives.) I honestly didn't know anything about it. Handled it. Rep said Condor only made two in micarta and he had both of them with him. I asked how much? He said $30..... Didn't even have to think twice about it and another guy standing beside me bought the other one. Stuff like this makes shows fun.

Today, I was sharpening up my 9" Condor Moonshiner. It is a beast in 1075 steel, wood handle much like a BK-9. Dang that thing gets sharp. Don't think I want to lug it around in the woods, but it's a fun knife. I don't know anything about its edge holding, but I may take it out and play with it in the yard to see how it chops. I opened a couple envelopes with it for fun.... just a tad big for this activity.

last time I went to the woods I took the ka bar shorty by it's self (only cutting tool is most of the time ) only me and the German shepherd running round we go every weekend (my family and friends dont always come on our every weekend all weather ritual lol) cut our way out of a few thorn bushes and got lost a few times when we first started going hes good at getting us back to the van not a lot of people there the odd hikers and the ka bar short covers most of what I need and the kydex sheath is good I can vouch for falling over and down rockey hills and it's never come out of the sheath or stabbed me in the leg and if it gets covered in mud and all sorts easy to clean like I said it's been my go to for years now holds and edge well and iv well used it

I have wenger 92 1961 soilder and have a love hate with it nearly took my fingers was my fault

Mora is not my thing iv gave them a chance and prefaired bucks and ka bars personal preference

I think I will still buy a EK5 at some point but I am going to save and get a blackjack model 13 and then a BK 62 I am more likely to use them because of the blade size and want to get atleast one a level up from ka bar buck and ontario
thankyou for everyone's input and helping me with your experience

I bought into the tactical super over built knives years ago and if thats what someone likes thats perfectly fine. I still thinking they are cool and own some. Lately though, I have gotten away from all the tactical and bushcrafty knife trends because most of them are silly, grossly over priced, or just not needed. I have been using a Buck 119 and a Victorinox Swisschamp or Trekker/Soldiers knife as my woods tools for several years now with great success. The 119 is a very capable knife that many overlook. It is very light on the belt, yet it handles darn near all my cutting needs. Food prep is no problem at all for this knife. Some of the trails I travel are slightly overgrown with sticker bushes and the 119 easily lops off what ever is growing over the trail. I don't baton with my knives, but the 119 will easily handle light splitting jobs. It will also function as a defensive tool in the event of an aggressive 2 or 4 legged animal encounter. The saws on the Swisschamp or Soldier knife handles most every other need I have. Sawing a 2" or less limb for clearing a trail or making a walking stick is pretty simple. Plus, you will find all the other tools on the SAK to be very useful when you least expect it. For the rare larger cutting needs I usually have a Bahco Laplander saw in my pack. I used to carry a small Gerber pack axe(older Finland made) but stopped since I never used it. I'm not sure about your area, but in my area you can buy a 119, Victorinox, and Bahco, and still have some money left over. I used to carry a BK7 or BK9 on my woods adventures but have been much happier with just the 119 and its accompanying Swiss Army Knife. Just my personal experience. Others mileage may very. No matter what you choose, make sure YOU like it. Happy trails!

Last edited:
I own a few buck 119 favortie buck knife and have used them I in the woods agree there very under rated knives and very useful the only reason I don't use it as much as I used to is the hollow grind (worried about chiping the edge no real reason why) it's my favorite kitchen knife best meat and veggie slicer I have ever had and perfect size for a kitchen and i do still use it ocasonal in the wood but mainly the kitchen at home

If you're in Europe, try a leuku. They are made for clearing light brush and you can still prepare food with them. The suggestion of a secateur is a good one, and for a light folding saw I'd say an Opinel 12. With those you can take on almost anything. Don't overestimate or overfantasize the usefulness of a 'sharpened prybar' kind of survival/fighting knife. Fighting what? If you really need/want such a knife go for something like the Terava puukko 140 or the Peltonen Ranger M95, the latter in an ambidextrous plastic sheath. These come very close to the idea(l) of a do-it-all blade at the upper end of mid-sized and look sufficiently tactical (the M95 is a 'sissipuukko' or 'guerillaknife' in Finnish). And they are not as brutish as a Ka-Bar. The Terava is about 65 euros, the Peltonen near 100, thus for most knife nuts, not very expensive. ;-)

Back