New Flipper - the Spyderco Dice

This was my best guess per the Domino specs... I matched various items like the pivot hole and CF check sizes. Cheers!

DiceEstimate1_zps1291a4bf.jpg

DiceEstimate2_zps5c994bca.jpg

DiceEstimate3_zpse95699e7.jpg

This was my best guess per the Domino specs... I matched various items like the pivot hole and CF check sizes. Cheers!

Nicely done. A blade length of 2.5" or just under makes a lot of sense for places where that's all you're allowed to carry. Spyderco recently discontinued the LeafStorm which had a blade length of 2.44".

Per the Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Dice post in the Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes thread by Mr Blonde here are the description and specs except for the weight:

The Dice is a smaller version of the Domino, that came about through by customer feedback. The Dice has many typical Spyderco features such as a leaf shape blade, full flat grind and a double distal taper. The pivot is made with ball bearing washers for a super smooth opening action, using the flipper.

Despite the ‘shrinking process’, the ergos were very good. Using the choil, I could get a full grip on the knife. The flipper doesn’t intrude on opening the blade with just the thumb hole which is something I like. I’ll probably end up with a Dice in my carry rotation, as I’m a sucker for Li’l Big Knives.

The approximate specifications of the Dice prototype are:
Overall Length: 16,7 cm / 6.57 inches
Edge Length: 6 cm / 2.36 inches
Blade Length: 6,2 cm / 2.44 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,25 cm / 0.09 inches

I think Spyderco should put flippers on all their knives. It would save me lots of money since I wouldn't buy any.

0467224F-0556-41EF-B017-48CA05DB5384-2812-000004A773198290_zps4bfa8c0c.jpg

Flippers on a spyderco....like tits on a boar hog for this guy.

Pretty funny Lance :D. The Domino I handled for a day made me think much - tits on a boar hog - but it was a nice tit and didn't get in the way . The action with the hole or the flipper was excellent. So I stand in the middle of this discussion.

Pretty funny Lance :D. The Domino I handled for a day made me think much - tits on a boar hog - but it was a nice tit and didn't get in the way . The action with the hole or the flipper was excellent. So I stand in the middle of this discussion.

Aww hell, they're neat little machines. I always find myself wanting to like them but I just end up feeling like I'm doing a silly parlor trick when I open a knife with a flipper. After it opens am I supposed to say "tah-dahhhh"? Hehehe.

I'm sure I'll try the little dice when it comes out, and who knows, maybe it's smaller size will make it more appealing to me than it's larger sibling. I will agree that they are very well executed designs with outstanding action. Tah-dahhhh. ;)

I don't usually go for smaller knives but I'm very interested in this one. Looking forward to comparison pictures with other spydercos now that they've started shipping.

I first saw this last night. Pretty sweet but I'm not sure about a small flipper. That said, I'd love to try one out at some point.

Back