• Serrated Cqc-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldog (possible big bulldog)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, between your original 2, the PM2 would likely suit best. I like the compression lock and their thin blades. You also have the luxury of quite a few choices of blade steel to suit your interests. Plus, should it actually be needed to self defense, although unlikely, it is light and lively in the hand and will no doubt get your point across.

Between your choice of the PM2 and an Emerson , I'd def go with the PM2.

You say you want the "real thing" but imo , the ZT 0630 and 0620 are much better than a full-on Emerson. Better materials. Better fit and finish.

If you have your heart set on a SD blade then I'd recommend the Yojimbo2 since it is a dedicated SD knife (and also a decent edc).

Look into automatics too like Protech. Awesome knives.

Last edited:
One of my knives, but good luck getting it!

I'll recommend getting an 0452 and waving it. After a few months you'll wave without even thinking. After a few years it's like spitting a watermelon seed out.

If you really want an Emerson, choose one and buy it. Might as well scratch that itch now.

Emersons do make good EDC knives. I carried a Mini 15 everyday for two years ( along with a Military, just can't seem to leave the house without one). Never came across anything that I could cut with the Military that couldn't be cut with the 15.

9rmyxz.jpg

It's semi-retired now as these days I mostly just carry one folder. A Military.

Without getting into the "knife for SD good/bad" semantics, if that's why YOU want to buy/carry this new knife, I'm going to say get the Emerson, and practice deploying it using the wave feature. It's part of its design feature, and if you would ever need to use it in an SD situation, (god forbid), then pulling it from your pocket, blade already deployed, is the way to go...

You can find a nice used pm2 here on the exchange down the road for a decent discounted price.

If you're super frugal, look for both here on the exchange at discounted prices...

I agree with scratching the itch. You can always resell, and PM2s are pretty much always there so you could pick one up for a decent price.

Are you possibly will to take other suggestions as I think there are many knives that would do better than the ones you're asking about. Honestly, I don't like the wave feature for SD, it requires a very uncontrollable movement to wave it out of your pocket, when you take it out of your pocket your blade is pointing behind you, you need to adjust your grip (adding time) before it can be used and so many situations where you may have limited space or range of motion where it is ineffective. It is best that your deployment method is simple and standard, that you always use so it is muscle memory(flipper I strongly recommend), remember in stressful situations slow is fast, fast is slow. Just my 2 cents, sorry if I got too off-topic.

Last edited:
A Emerson horseman is a good edc knife, size and weight offer a good balanced knife.
Self defense wise, i would go for a small fixed blade. Kabar tdi, izula etc.

Although it's a situation I'd hope nobody ever gets in, I would never trust a frame lock in a self defense situation where the handling of the blade and handle could get very awkward and unexpected in such a chaotic situation. I would take a Cold Steel Recon 1 clip or spear point over an emerson or ZT any day of the week for both ergo's, performance and safety. Those who have never held one will just never understand, they don't have flashy titanium trims, but they just get the job done and never fail.

Although it's a situation I'd hope nobody ever gets in, I would never trust a frame lock in a self defense situation where the handling of the blade and handle could get very awkward and unexpected in such a chaotic situation. I would take a Cold Steel Recon 1 clip or spear point over an emerson or ZT any day of the week for both ergo's, performance and safety. Those who have never held one will just never understand, they don't have flashy titanium trims, but they just get the job done and never fail.
So you are saying, that any and all Emerson folders are not to be trusted in use because they'll collapse?

Just to be clear, I have a slew of CS blades (fixed. Sold the folders) and only one Emerson.

So you are saying, that any and all Emerson folders are not to be trusted in use because they'll collapse?

Just to be clear, I have a slew of CS blades (fixed. Sold the folders) and only one Emerson.
No not entirely, I'd take an emerson over a ZT frame lock that's for certain tho. The emerson liner lock is less prone to slipping out under torquing motions, Ti on steel sticks harder than slippery steel on steel for a locking interface also, so that's another tick for the emerson over the ZT. I personally love the design of some emersons, CQC13 mostly. Just saying if I had the choice of a knife to take into a nasty situation and all three were on the table, I'd have to take the Recon for piece of mind. Just my opinion tho.

I have both a Spyderco PM2, a Military, and I also have a lot of Emerson knives. I tend to carry an Emerson a lot, whereas the Spydercos don't really get carried much. That's not through any fault of the Spydies, I just like my Emersons a lot more. The Vindicator, the Patriot, the CQC13 and 15 are some of my favorites. They also make great defensive options, if that were needed. In fact, I really don't see the PM2 as a viable defensive option at all, though the Military would do well there. And do not let anyone tell you Emersons can't cut. All of mine are shaving sharp. I mean, sure, if I need to cut tomato slices I can read a book through, I'd probably use my PM2 (heh, just kidding, I'd actually probably use a filet knife or one of my Opinels*).

But I don't, so I carry my Emersons more often. (shrug)

*and a Squirt!

Between your choice of the PM2 and an Emerson , I'd def go with the PM2.

You say you want the "real thing" but imo , the ZT 0630 and 0620 are much better than a full-on Emerson. Better materials. Better fit and finish.

If you have your heart set on a SD blade then I'd recommend the Yojimbo2 since it is a dedicated SD knife (and also a decent edc).

Look into automatics too like Protech. Awesome knives.
I would second all of this. PM2 as the first option, and a ZT Emerson a distant second. As also mentioned, a Cold Steel Recon 1 would excel.

Sadly Cold Steel Talwar is discontinued, imho it's better than Recon1 which is good knife too.
wmUl20X.jpg

For sure it has better lock than Emerson or any ZT/Benchmade/Spyderco. Emersons have great ergo, nice designs but I don't trust linerlock as I trust that lock by Demko. Of course it's still a folding knife not a fixed. And I have one Emerson [7], not ZT/KAI. Buy one if you like but they're just simple folders with linerlock and sometimes wave opening and a little bit softer steel than in Benchmade for example. Emerson can cut, but it need to be sharpen more often and get scratches easier.

BTW self defence with a knife = troubles.

If I was worried about locks I'd use a fixed blade.

I'm not worried about locks though. I have a PPT and a Yo Jimbo that both would be useful.

I own a PM2 and also own 7 or 8 Emersons, and I'd choose the PM2. Better all-around user *for me*.

Also, SD with a knife does not necessarily equate with 'knife fighting' or dueling. I mention this because some who reply to these types of threads tend to associate SD with a knife as knife vs. knife dueling.

Jim

Last edited:
Just a boring word to the OP about the use of a bladed weapon for SD.

If somebody pulls out a knife in a fist fight, even when they are getting the worst of it, that is considered escalation to deadly force. If somebody in that scenario gets wounded or dead, it is a very bad scenario for the knife owner. Doesn’t matter what knife it was if you end up facing years in jail and a ruined life. But it is your choice; we all make our own choices; make sure your choice is informed by the law in your country.

If I was worried about locks I'd use a fixed blade.

I'm not worried about locks though. I have a PPT and a Yo Jimbo that both would be useful.
Every time I buy linerlock I'm little worried that it can wear too fast. I had to made new stop pin in Emerson because lock was very late and it started to have "rock lock". Anyway sometimes design of the knife is so tempting that I take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back