1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New GEC #14 Boys Knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by supratentorial, Apr 1, 2016.

1. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I've put my Antique Yellow to work so far, and have carried the Black Cherry sawcut TC a bit. I put an edge on the Ebony this morning; going to carrying it today.

[​IMG]

I plan on using the other #14's I picked up as well, all in good time. :D I really try not to buy knives just to stick them in a drawer and hang onto them. It will happen occasionally, if it turns out to be something I just don't like as much as I thought I would, or don't find useful for daily carry, but that hasn't been the case for me with the #14's. I'll admit that the size of the #15 makes it a little more versitile, but like I think the #14 fits well within Carl's peanut philosphy - it doesn't have to be big, just sharp. :thumbup: Plus, it just disappears into the pocket!

The only task I've put the #14 to yet that made me wish I had something a tad bigger was cutting a chili dog at lunch a few days ago. It did the job just fine, but the shorter length resulted in some food that had to be cleaned out of the joint. :rolleyes: For almost any other daily task I put most of my pocket knives to, though, I think the #14 is more than enough knife.

2. Maverick299

Maverick299

Apr 12, 2014
    I've been carrying mine in a alligator pocket sheath from a gator I killed myself. The black dye from the leather is wearing onto the canvas micarta and giving the covers a patina of their own. I like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. heefageLA

heefageLA Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Nice!

4. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    I just received my 2 blade with the Lick Creek etch, perhaps the finest GEC I have laid my hands on! Beautiful domed pins all around, perfectly fitted covers including where they meet the bolsters (not a sharp edge to be found), flush open/closed and not even a hint of a gap on the springs. Amazing knife!
    [​IMG]

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The recent pin-work on GECs is a really pleasing development.

Grand example Jamie!

6. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful morning with my two blade ebony.

7. pmew

pmew

Oct 2, 2011
    A new #142216 in nifebright arrived yesterday. I'll carry it for a couple of days while I collect my thoughts on it but here are my initial observations.

[​IMG]

The fit and finish is very good. No blade play at all and nice grinds that are sharp enough for normal use too. Nicely domed pins and no gaps between liners and springs although a disappointing gap on both covers between the acrylic scale and the bolster, but for the price I'll not be crying over it.

I love the #25 pattern, as most of you know, so I'll compare it with a long pull spear main with pen behind jack.

[​IMG]

They are more or less the same length, although the #14 just edges it, but the #25 is considerably beefier. This gives the #25 a clear win in the 'in-hand' department.

[​IMG]

The #14 has significantly more blade length however for the main especially, and a little more for the pen.

[​IMG]

Generally the difference in thickness is negligible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't see the #14 taking over the #25s in my pocket but it is nicely done. I just get the feeling that the #25 could accomplish more work than the #14.

Thanks

- Paul

8. AFAustin

AFAustin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Paul, great comparison pics and comments.:thumbup: I agree about the #25 beefiness being a plus for grip. But for me at least, the #25s are always a 3 finger knife. With my #14, I can just get my pinkie up against the butt; and while not a true 4 finger grip, it does provide additional control. So, kind of a trade off in my mind.

Andrew

9. AusLoX

AusLoX

Jan 23, 2015
    I love the 14s. I really like how GEC did this 14 run. So many options and it's fun to have all these various choices.

10. Bretnuh

Bretnuh

May 1, 2015
    I put an EO notch on my Micarta, makes the little knife alot easier to just pinch open, and more convenient. I thought being a "cheaper" knife, it wouldn't hurt, and glad I did! My ring finger falls right in the notch when holding it like I normally do for tasks, so it helps to hold onto the little thing as well.

IMG_3840-min.jpg IMG_3841-min.jpg IMG_3842-min.jpg

11. AFAustin

AFAustin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Nicely done. That big half moon crescent looks cool. :thumbup:

Andrew

12. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Good work on the EO notch, Hunter! I've been curious to see what one of these would look like with one.

13. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Very nice EO notch, Hunter.

Speaking of modifications, when I ordered my 2 blade ebony, I had it in mind to turn the pen secondary into a wharncliffe. I did it to a Case Peanut, and rather liked the results:
    [​IMG]

But I'm not sure how it would work on the #14. I marked the line with a pen, but maybe it's too long and narrow a blade?

[​IMG]

I'll ponder it a spell, but in the meantime I really like this little Jack

[​IMG]

14. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    i unboxed my 2blade ebony today fully expecting to know which #14 to keep and which to sell: the 1blade antique jigged bone or the 2blade ebony. I was going to go off of first impression and instinct. That plan totally failed. Both will likely stay in my possession for a while :)

15. Lesbaer1911

Lesbaer1911

Jul 26, 2016
    Just ordered one in red jigged bone!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

16. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Here, here. Up to 3 single blades, 2 doubles. The decision remains, what stays, what goes? Not a dog in the bunch:rolleyes:

17. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    What if instead of bringing the edge up, you bring the tip down? You'd lose some length, but could preserve most of the width.

18. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    More like a coping blade. Good idea, I like it.

19. d.r.h.

d.r.h. Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    My Oily Creek Bone arrived today and just finished redoing the edges.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  20. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    That's nice! your pictures are so much better than the seller's. :D