New GEC #14 Boys Knife

Very nice EO notch, Hunter.

Speaking of modifications, when I ordered my 2 blade ebony, I had it in mind to turn the pen secondary into a wharncliffe. I did it to a Case Peanut, and rather liked the results:

But I'm not sure how it would work on the #14. I marked the line with a pen, but maybe it's too long and narrow a blade?

I'll ponder it a spell, but in the meantime I really like this little Jack

r8shell
If you take down the top a bit first, as much as possible, maybe you wont have to take quite so much off the edge to make it straight. Not end up as narrow.?
Love the ebony !

Mark

r8shell
If you take down the top a bit first, as much as possible, maybe you wont have to take quite so much off the edge to make it straight. Not end up as narrow.?
Love the ebony !

Mark

Thanks for the insight, guys. :thumbup:

When I saw it on the website, I thought it would be nice to have a straight edged secondary like the little coping blade on the #18 Beagle. Now that I have it in hand, I really like the narrow pointiness of the pen blade. I used a marker to visualize where I'd remove metal - from the edge or spine or some of both, and decided to leave it alone for now.

or you can make it a pointy thing!

After some years of use and sharpening, it will probably become more awl-like on its own. :D

The Great Eastern Cutlery: SFO #14 - Tidioute - Lick Creek Boy's Knife - Red Camel Bone - Two-Blades are up on KSF (KNIVES SHIP FREE)

d9ba1a2f85bb10e06df540fcdb6b7b67.jpg

Here's mine in Antique Yellow bone, next to a favorite of mine. It's a Case Barehead Jack, circa 1972. I carry it often, and now it has a GEC equivalent.

Sent from (redacted)

I love the #25 pattern, as most of you know, so I'll compare it with a long pull spear main with pen behind jack.

They are more or less the same length, although the #14 just edges it, but the #25 is considerably beefier.

Thanks much, Paul. You can well imagine this is a comparison that is of great interest to me.

I had envisioned this next entry coming in at 3.25, not so close to the 3" of the #25s. Perhaps now they won't be as much trouble to me as anticipated, although the idea of a "miniature TC Barlow" is very appealing.

As always, the truth of a knife is best, and perhaps only, revealed in-hand. I hope to make some direct comparisons myself next week, and am looking forward to my own discoveries.

But again-- thanks!

~ P.

Thanks much, Paul. You can well imagine this is a comparison that is of great interest to me.

I had envisioned this next entry coming in at 3.25, not so close to the 3" of the #25s. Perhaps now they won't be as much trouble to me as anticipated, although the idea of a "miniature TC Barlow" is very appealing.

As always, the truth of a knife is best, and perhaps only, revealed in-hand. I hope to make some direct comparisons myself next week, and am looking forward to my own discoveries.

But again-- thanks!

~ P.

You're welcome Sarah :)

I've been carrying the #14 off and on since I got it. It's nice. Oddly, I think it much more peanut like than the #18s which are technically closer to a peanut in length. It feels a bit more genuine than the #18s did to me too, and has a bit more weight to it that makes it feel more like a small knife than a gimmick. But for me, it doesn't give me much that I can't get from my wlst, aside from slightly less pocket bump. For example, I was in work today in civvies and carried it without issue.

- Paul

The Red camel bones are up

I really like the single blade #14's, and was thinking about picking up at least one two-blade as well. I was tempted by the red camel bone -- some of the darker examples I saw yesterday (most of which are sold now) were stunning -- but I couldn't pull the trigger at that price.

I might just go for the Antique Yellow in the two-blade. This has been my most carried #14 so far. I really like this little knife.

04EAF3A4-3020-4936-BBE8-F58C0A6DC031.jpg

I got my 14's yesterday. 2-blade models in rust red jigged bone and antique yellow jigged bone. The rust red goes to my father-in-law. The opening on the main blade is a bit stiff, but I'll work on it before I give it to him. The covers are absolutely gorgeous on the rust red. The antique yellow has great action on the blades, but the covers aren't as perfectly matched in the depth of the jigging. Still a great little knife though.

My father-in-law's rust red will probably see action. He's been looking for a smaller knife for his pants pocket. Mine will probably just be for my collection. It's a bit too small for my liking.

My thoughts exactly, Eric. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Of course, clicking on this thread isn't helping my will power any.

Quoting a comment I made six days ago in this thread. Finally broke down and ordered a Rust Red single blade. I held out as long as I could. Should have just gotten one right from the git go.:)

Well, with the addition of the Stone Wash Blue, I think I might (might) be done buying #14's. Here's the blue:

FE0880D9-645F-4288-AACF-D84E07B902FC.jpg

And here are all the #14's I ended up with:

C9FE4D49-F105-4B8F-A56F-AEFC080F1705.jpg

The blue is the only two-blade that I bought. I do like the thickness of it; fits in your hand a little better than the single blade. (That's why I say it "might" be my last; I "might" need one more two-blade, or maybe two to keep it an even number. :D)

Well, with the addition of the Stone Wash Blue, I think I might (might) be done buying #14's. Here's the blue:

And here are all the #14's I ended up with:

The blue is the only two-blade that I bought. I do like the thickness of it; fits in your hand a little better than the single blade. (That's why I say it "might" be my last; I "might" need one more two-blade, or maybe two to keep it an even number. :D)

That blue does look nice, Barrett. I thought I had a lot of 14s with six, but you have quite a group there! :thumbup:

BEAUTIFUL knives and pictures everyone!!!

I really struggled with picture taking today...never much of a problem as a rule but today was odd for some reason:eek: I really like these red camel bone covers...I see a strong link to vintage CASE red bone in these:thumbup::cool:

I really prefer the two blade to the single...a bit more substantial in hand for me:thumbup:

h9OtOn.jpg

w6tNVe.jpg

qQaHYC.jpg

tf7sVw.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Paul! I was determined to decide on only one two-blade, and held out for the blue jigged bone over the smooth red camel bone, but now that I know I like the two-blade, I'll probably regret not picking out one of those nice, dark examples of the red. :rolleyes:

Thank you BARRETT. I love the blue as well. I imagine if like other blues by GEC' s that outdoor light reveals the true color? Now Barrett, I'm far from OCD, but I have to end with even numbers, bicep curl reps, total gas amount at gas pumps can NOT be odd numbers!!!

Therefore as I'm concerned for you as well as other members here on the Porch, that I STRONGLY suggest you even out the two blade count my friend:D

The blue really is very dark, even outdoors. It only really shows up on the edges. Curious to see if that changes once it's been carried and used a bit.

Sadly, I think all the best examples of the red camel bone have been snatched up already. I may pick up another two-blade in one of the standard colors to "even things out." :D

Hi Sarah,

I suppose, that after 14 years, it's time to emerge from the shadows and make an attempt at answering some of your questions.. I received my 2-blade #14 in Rust Red Camel Bone from KSF today. There are still several fine pieces available. It is every bit as gorgeous as the pictures that Paul posted and fits my male hands, which are a tad less than medium in size, very comfortably. I am able to easily fit three fingers on the scales and comfortably rest my index finger securely on the choil, as I do on my WLST Ebony 1-blade #25. My Ebony 1-blade #14 is 4 mm thinner and doesn't fill my hand in the same satisfying manner, as the 2-blade #14. Furthermore, my sweet little honeybee 1-blade #25 fits my hand perfectly, edging out my 2-bladed #14 by just a hair. I had initial reservations about purchasing the #14, because of the appearance of a "sinkhole" in the pictures. Fear not, as this would appear to be a lighting issue and not a manufacturing defect. My newly minted GEC is about as perfect as perfect can be, which is a tribute to the skilled craftsmen at Great Eastern Cutlery.

Back