New GEC #14 Boys Knife

Hi Sarah,

I suppose, that after 14 years, it's time to emerge from the shadows and make an attempt at answering some of your questions..

I am honored-- truly!

I received my 2-blade #14 in Rust Red Camel Bone from KSF today. There are still several fine pieces available. It is every bit as gorgeous as the pictures that Paul posted and fits my male hands, which are a tad less than medium in size, very comfortably. I am able to easily fit three fingers on the scales and comfortably rest my index finger securely on the choil, as I do on my WLST Ebony 1-blade #25.

The specificity of this comparison is very helpful-- thank you.

My Ebony 1-blade #14 is 4 mm thinner and doesn't fill my hand in the same satisfying manner, as the 2-blade #14.

Interesting, and consistent with what I've been hearing from others. I favor 2-bladed jack knives as a default, but have slowly but surely come to enjoy carrying my one-bladed WLST®s more than the two-bladed ones I would have sworn I preferred (and still do! :confused:).

Here comes my favorite descriptive in your post (in this thread! Maybe in this Forum, of late?):
Furthermore, my sweet little honeybee 1-blade #25 fits my hand perfectly, edging out my 2-bladed #14 by just a hair.

[Do you have any pictures of this knife? If so, I would love to see it-- hopefully here, some day. :D For now: what is its main blade, and is it golden, as suggested by 'honeybee'? Thanks.]

I had initial reservations about purchasing the #14, because of the appearance of a "sinkhole" in the pictures. Fear not, as this would appear to be a lighting issue and not a manufacturing defect. My newly minted GEC is about as perfect as perfect can be, which is a tribute to the skilled craftsmen at Great Eastern Cutlery.

I'm glad you got a great knife.

Thank you again for making a point to respond (at all!), and for your thoughtful remarks.

~ P.

Hi Sarah,

I am pleased that you thought my remarks helpful. I can easily say the same for you. The only picture that I have at the moment is still on the KSF website. I was very close to posting the picture of my knife from the website, but pulled back, when I realized that it has a commercial marking on it. As you know, it's never wise to risk the ire of a moderator, for violating an obscure rule, that might very well trigger a lethal response from the community. What's more, I'm not even certain that I can load the picture properly.

I have failed you: Upon closer examination of my #14, I noted, that there is an almost imperceptible depression in one of the rivet holes, which I still obstinately maintain was magnified by the lighting, but more likely by the enlarged picture on the website. With your permission, I can send you this picture, by using your email, though I think that Paul's beautiful pictures more closely approximate the appearance of this lovely knife. With regards to my sweet little honeybee #25, it is an UN-X-LD Barlow with a Sheepsfoot blade and the standard Northfield polished finish…a very handsome and useful knife. As a beekeeper, I have developed a special affection for the "girls" which I apparently transferred to my #25. Perhaps it's the 3 etched stripes on the bolster, that catch a glint of black from the polished ebony, the golden brass rivets or even the shape of the knife, which reminds me of a honeybee. Who knows? Thanks once again for your kind comments. …K...

Waiting on my single blade natural micarta to check out. They all look very nicely done.

Excellent bone, vivid color, perfect execution.

_DSC0591_zpsslz6sko8.jpg

Well, I got the yellow antique jigged bone two-blade today. Pretty darn nice little knife. Was thinking it would have about the same feel as my Hen & Rooster small stockman in stag. But the H&R is larger and thicker. This #14 signifies my attempt with a near peanut sized GEC for general carry. Looking forward to it.

Here she is with a nice patina going. I really like this size of knife for General EDC.
3e1f564f8c68f13b99a598d460fe4383.jpg

Sent from (redacted)

Rotten Banana just arrived in the house!

IMG_0046_zpsmkqoajhn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Peter

Rotten Banana just arrived in the house!

Peter

That's the two blade right? I just received my invoice on Saturday. Yours must have been the first one shipped out!

These look MUCH better than the single blade 'healthy bananas'

That's a nice one! Congrats

Here she is with a nice patina going. I really like this size of knife for General EDC.
3e1f564f8c68f13b99a598d460fe4383.jpg

Sent from (redacted)
Looks great. Did you do a anything to bring out the yellow? Most of these that I have seen have been a lot darker.

Hello heefageLA,

yup ....two blade..Very happy.....Lets get them posted!!

Peter

Rust Red single blade in the mailbox today. (sorry, no pic yet) First GEC I've purchased in over a year. Very satisfied with this little knife.

DLT had the blue jigged bone (stonewashed as they call it). Amazing all the different scales being offered.

Looks great. Did you do a anything to bring out the yellow? Most of these that I have seen have been a lot darker.

I did not. When I ordered it, I asked for one that was more yellow than average if it wasn't too much trouble.
Bob from Old Hundred took care of me, and I got this beauty, which does seem quite yellow compared to the average.
Kudos to Bob, he gained a lifelong customer in me.

Sent from (redacted)

Back