New GEC #14 Boys Knife

2Bw0DR1.jpg

This one just came in. Never really cared for jogged bone-I tend to prefer wood covers, but this one just screamed at me in the antique yellow-perhaps because it looks like the perfect Autumn knife.

I love the swedge on this blade. I actually like the look of this little blade more than the spear on my 77 Barlow.

This one will be fighting with the peanut for a bit to see who is the watch pocket king.

Last edited:
The 14 boys knife was my first GEC and it set me off on a buying spree that has ended with the addition of three more GEC's, all 77s. However when I first opened the tube my initial impression was that it was too small of a knife for me. I left it in my office, kind of kept it hanging around the house, carried it a few times, used it for some minor work in the yard and practicing forcing a patina on the blade. Embarrassingly enough I will add that while sitting down watching TV and playing around with it, closing the blade to half stop and opening it etc, working the action so to speak, I managed to cut my finger, sharp little thing! Haven't done that since I was boy. Its really starting to grow on me.

wwSttLu.jpg

I THINK they will be following the same progression as the #15s, but I may be wrong. If so, I think razors are next...

Regarding the razors - are those the One Arm Jack types (i.e. with the 'hook' to open on your trouser seam) or the snub nose ones without the One Arm hook?

Curiosity question:

Do you think the 14 spear could be modified into a clip? I seem to recall, though I could be wrong, a 15 spear that was modified that way.

Curiosity question:

Do you think the 14 spear could be modified into a clip? I seem to recall, though I could be wrong, a 15 spear that was modified that way.
Yeah Brett, I'm quite certain a 14 spear could be modded into a clip without to much difficulty, but it seems GEC would make one themselves at some point.

Told myself I wasn't going to get one. "To small", I said. Glad I didn't listen... cuz it's just right!

Yeah Brett, I'm quite certain a 14 spear could be modded into a clip without to much difficulty, but it seems GEC would make one themselves at some point.

Told myself I wasn't going to get one. "To small", I said. Glad I didn't listen... cuz it's just right!

same here, then i ended up with 5 :D

Would really like to see a run of #14's with long pull clip blades. Single blade versions would be easy to pinch open, I imagine.

I got lucky with the #14's. The Spear blade is the only blade type that I'm interested in on these knives. I lucked out that GEC made these with Spear blades first. I usually have to wait indefinitely for my preference but that's not the case here.

I'm still waiting for a three blade #66 Calf Roper in 440C and I'm sure I'll wait some more.

Glad to know I have restraint. I only have 3 #14s. Rick, they could make the 66 Calf Roper in aluminum and sell it.

Glad to know I have restraint. I only have 3 #14s. Rick, they could make the 66 Calf Roper in aluminum and sell it.

Ha :) Yeah, that's probably not far from the truth. It certainly is a popular pattern and rightfully so.

Regarding the razors - are those the One Arm Jack types (i.e. with the 'hook' to open on your trouser seam) or the snub nose ones without the One Arm hook?
Hey hughtrimble,
It would be the blade with the notch that I'm referring to. At the rendezvous, I was left with the impression that:
1. The 14s would follow the same schedule as the 15s did and 2. The razors would be next.

I realize now though that I think my boys must have been distracting me during the conversation, as I don't think razors were the next 15 - per the GEC timeline anyway.

There are far better authorities to ask here though than me. Sorry for at least partial misinformation.

Please, no need for an apology, Sabercat - the news that they may be making a One Arm #14 is excellent enough. They can make it whenever they like...so long as they make it!

I ended up with six 14s. Gave one to my father, will give three to the kids down the track, have the nifebrite for myself as an EDC, and the black canvas micarta for a rainy day. A clip blade would be great. The nifebrite in the picture has seen a lot of work since this shot was taken. Apologies if the photo seems of poor quality. I'm trying to figure out how to make the quality of the image on BF match the original photo. Just out of interest, my nifebrite only "glows" on one side, has anyone else had this situation? It's not a problem, just wondering. A really great little knife. IMG_2195.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back