New GEC Lock Back Bullbuster

Though I make it a habit to collect sodbusters, I don't go out of my way to collect all the large versions of the pattern. That said when GEC decided to do a run of the large sodbuster pattern(Bullbuster) I knew I had to add at least one to the collection for comparison purposes. In conjunction with the release of the Bullbuster they had a SFO run for a lockback version of the new knife, called the Mudbug. I figured I might as well pick one of those up as well to add to the collection. I must say, I'm glad I did! Other than the obvious lockback difference from the Bullbuster, it comes in 1095 in compared to 01, has no half stop(really smooth open and close on this knife) and is considerably thinner to ride in a pocket better. I went with natural paper micarta, and it looks great! I wish they would run that handle material on the bullnose, it's has a bunch of character! The fit and finish is great, no gaps, centered, smooth walk and talk, no side to side blade play, came hair shaving sharp(that's a GEC plus!) and the most impressive, it locks up like a bank vault! I say that because I've heard some of the GEC lockbacks have a little play, not this one, absolutely play. I'm really impressed with the knife, almost to the point I'm contemplating carrying it, and I don't carry knives this big usually. I won't say who did the run since they do not pay to be dealers here but you can figure it out from the pictures or by going to GEC's site.

i-nsLJvhC-L.jpg

i-dgFDdMZ-M.jpg

i-WqQLVkB-L.jpg

i-9jz6mcJ-L.jpg

i-qk4rcrm-L.jpg

i-D9pFccm-XL.jpg

i-bPQcCh3-L.jpg

i-V47Q5nr-L.jpg

i-tXr9Cqb-XL.jpg

Great pics Trev! I didn't realize the 21 Lock Back would that much slimmer than the slipjoint. That Micarta is attractive and that is very good news on the zero blade play.

Thanks for the comparison!

I had been on the fence about this, but after seeing how thin it is, it really looks great. I just went to order, but their website shows it's sold out. Bummer... I hope they do another round soon!

I do believe they will do another run. They posted on their facebook page that their first run was close to selling out, so that must mean a second run right?

Yes, there are more coming in the beginning of November.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

My wallet won't be happy - but really, since when is that new. :/

I just got a Mudbug from Smith & Sons. They were out of the paper micarta so I got the maroon fabric. Very cool! It is built like a tank. It was sharp out of the box. I used it like an axe to spit off wood shims I needed for a project. I really like the thin handle - easy to pocket for such a large knife but still very comfortable grip. I highly recommend the mudbug. It is a very solid work knife. Or if you like sod busters this is a very cool version to check out.

Smith & Sons Mudbug 2015 built by GEC by tens339, on Flickr

That maroon looks really nice!

I was able to latch onto a natural paper from the second run. It's been a great knife, all the way around. I've used the heck out of it, probably harder than it should have been, and have absolutely no complaints (other than I want another!).

It rides in the chest pocket of my work bibs on the weekends; I'll snap a pic when I get home tonight.

Beautiful knives! I'm glad you posted up to this thread - I missed it back in October.

Like that maroon, but I also like the orange one posted by Trev. I've been thinking about getting a 'buster of some sort. This one with the lock is mighty tempting.

I think the Mudbug is a great knife that's off the radar. The details and GEC quality make this version of the pattern an excellent find.

I just got a green handled one ordered! It's funny, I was just reading this thread last night and thought about giving it a bump.

I'm hoping mine is as nice as the ones you all have gotten. :) I agree, this could be a real GEC "sleeper" pattern.

I highly recommend them. They are a good all around utility knife. I got the "holster", too. Great for yard work, etc.

Thanks to everyone for sharing comments and pics.

I got word they are planning to get more paper micarta in stock in May. Wink wink nudge nudge.

I'm planning on getting one for my Pop.

- Rex

I ended up getting a couple of the paper micarta Mudbugs and have been very pleased with them. The slim profile makes for a comfortable back pocket carry and the fit & finish are excellent on both of my samples which also have zero blade play.

P1020776_zpsa194c05e.jpg

Here's mine in natural paper. It's seen a good deal of hard use and several re-sharpenings. Still going strong, and one of my favorite work knives. It's too bad the SFO dealer doesn't have a membership here - I would think our community would give great exposure....

Back